Scythed Chariots - just a waste of points??

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Scythed Chariots - just a waste of points??

Post by vakarr »

I have not had a successful scythed chariot attack yet, and I was wondering if anybody has found a use for them, or what you can do to make them more likely to succeed? Are there some troop types against which they will never succeed (apart from elephants of course)?
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Scythed Chariots - just a waste of points??

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I've been thinking those scythed chariots should not be one shot kamikazes, but rather stick around like other chariots until seen off the usual way cause they were major units for the Persians and they even leveled the battlefield in preparation to help them move about. When I played against the Persians in epic battles, those chariots got too shot up by javelins and arrows on their approach run so they didn't have a fair chance to attack so I don't know how well they attack.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

vakarr wrote:I have not had a successful scythed chariot attack yet, and I was wondering if anybody has found a use for them, or what you can do to make them more likely to succeed? Are there some troop types against which they will never succeed (apart from elephants of course)?
I've used them pretty successfully. I tend to keep them in reserve and bring them out when there are some disrupted enemy units to target. In one game I had manoeuvred my scythed chariot to the flank of a line of enemy lancers. On my next turn I rolled up the line, routing three lancers, and securing the win. My opponent will never make that mistake again.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

GiveWarAchance wrote:I've been thinking those scythed chariots should not be one shot kamikazes,
Does appear to have been their use though - not that they had a great record.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

w_michael wrote:On my next turn I rolled up the line, routing three lancers, and securing the win. My opponent will never make that mistake again.
I had a similar thing happen, ahem, to me, but with an elephant. In one turn the damn dumbo proceeded down a line routing 3-4 of my units. I hadn't realized that units would continue to pursue for that long in one turn--it was rather impressive.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

76mm wrote:
w_michael wrote:On my next turn I rolled up the line, routing three lancers, and securing the win. My opponent will never make that mistake again.
I had a similar thing happen, ahem, to me, but with an elephant. In one turn the damn dumbo proceeded down a line routing 3-4 of my units. I hadn't realized that units would continue to pursue for that long in one turn--it was rather impressive.
Fleeing units and their pursuers receive a variable bonus to their movement points. I assume that the same is true for units pursuing enemy units broken in the impact combat. If there is a target of opportunity they will take it and charge again.
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

w_michael wrote: I tend to keep them in reserve and bring them out when there are some disrupted enemy units to target.
Well then there's something wrong with them that needs to be fixed - the purpose of scythed chariots is to disrupt the enemy, who can then be attacked by other units, not the other way around!!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

vakarr wrote:
w_michael wrote: I tend to keep them in reserve and bring them out when there are some disrupted enemy units to target.
Well then there's something wrong with them that needs to be fixed - the purpose of scythed chariots is to disrupt the enemy, who can then be attacked by other units, not the other way around!!
You can play it that way. I don't.
Jishmael
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Jishmael »

While I'm sure they can be used well if carefully kept in reserve, for most army lists I consider them too expensive and fragile and I pretty much never take them. They can be ruthelssly taken out if caught even by inferior units, all they need to do is last one turn an wham, no more scythed chariot.
From my understanding of the historical record theyre horrid performance against steady units is very much historical and believable, I'd only question if theyre priced correctly for what they do most of the time, because there are units that can achieve the same from the reserves (rolling up disrupted units) that can still do other stuff, for similar or less points
Hello there, I hope you like Warbands
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jishmael wrote:While I'm sure they can be used well if carefully kept in reserve, for most army lists I consider them too expensive and fragile and I pretty much never take them. They can be ruthelssly taken out if caught even by inferior units, all they need to do is last one turn an wham, no more scythed chariot.
From my understanding of the historical record theyre horrid performance against steady units is very much historical and believable, I'd only question if theyre priced correctly for what they do most of the time, because there are units that can achieve the same from the reserves (rolling up disrupted units) that can still do other stuff, for similar or less points
No they are not cost-effective - this is by design. We prefer to err on the side of them being an overpriced novelty unit. It would be much worse if it was a no-brainer to take them!
Richard Bodley Scott

Jishmael
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Jishmael »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Jishmael wrote:While I'm sure they can be used well if carefully kept in reserve, for most army lists I consider them too expensive and fragile and I pretty much never take them. They can be ruthelssly taken out if caught even by inferior units, all they need to do is last one turn an wham, no more scythed chariot.
No they are not cost-effective - this is by design. We prefer to err on the side of them being an overpriced novelty unit. It would be much worse if it was a no-brainer to take them!
I see your point and agree ^^ I'm still not gonna buy them though :D
Hello there, I hope you like Warbands
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by grumblefish »

rbodleyscott wrote:

Novelty unit? That's a no brainer, take them all, along with the camels and elephants! Nobody can defeat my travelling circus.
Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Geordietaf »

My highly trained battle penguins come in at knee height. Unstoppable.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I'm playing a MP game with my Seleucid army vs. Saka. I just inflicted routs equal to 12% of his army with one Scythed Chariot charge on the flank.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

w. michael

I think you win a prize :D
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

devoncop wrote:w. michael

I think you win a prize :D
I was down 10-0 before the charge. After the initial charge, it just kept pursuing and charging until it was halfway across the battlefield from where it started. Talk about the domino effect!

Luckily the Scythed Chariot ended up outside of an enemy charge arc so it looks like I can redeploy it behind my battle line and try again later.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

It gets better....!!!
Hendricus

Post by Hendricus »

Such a Chariot killed my C in C during a remove the head custom game. So while his army was almost beaten the scyted chariot became a matchwinner.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

It helps that Scythed Chariots are rare to begin with, and especially so if players generally think that they are a "waste of points". You gain an element of surprise on players who are used to min-max, Default Force Selection encounters. The timing of when to use the Scythed Chariot is everything.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Scythed Chariots are the Bugattis of the ancient era. They are expensive rare luxury items that can create exotic results.

When the AI charges early with them, probably too early to be effective, they still have the benefit of distracting my ranged units, in the critical ranged stage when melee has not been joined yet, and using up their precious limited ammo as they try to repulse the chariots.

Return to “Field of Glory II”