Pike & Shot makeover

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

vj531
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Pike & Shot makeover

Post by vj531 »

Is Pike & Shot going get a FOGII type makeover?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Pike & Shot makeover

Post by zakblood »

would be nice, but also no idea, developer is rather busy atm on others projects, but who knows, he may be able to answer :mrgreen:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Make over??, we still need some expansions with Indians, Persian etc ( and elephants, would love to see how they would be portrayed to fit the style) first!!
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

There is one community scenario with Safavid Persians in P&S already. Battle of Chaldiran. I believe Paul59 made it. Haven't managed to beat it yet. You play as the Persians.

I think we will probably have to wait a good while before a return to the age of Pike and Shot if only because there is so much Ancients/Medieval stuff that FoG2 will probably tackle first.

It would be neat to have a small P&S expansion pack focused on the muslim gunpowder empires though. If only to give the Ottomans some Non-European skirmish opponents. I don't think that the Mughals or the Persians would get played as much as the existing European lists in P&S. They would likely be outmatched in the later period of the game except for numbers. Especially, if played against non-historical opponents.

For example, Sengoku's MP scene while still active strikes me as not as popular as either the Early Modern European or Ancients/Medieval periods amongst most western facing gamers. It may just be a case of the audience not being as knowledgable about the period Sengoku covers but the number of open challenges is usually considerably less then P&S Campaigns and only a handful of community scenarios have been made for it. That said Sengoku is an awesome game with some really unique armies. Melee and ranged volleys with arrows in Sengoku seem slightly more decisive and satisfying then in P&S but not quite as streamlined as in FoG2.

All that said I'd love to see Warring States, Han, and other Chinese lists for FoG2 at some point.
Image Image
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Pixel wrote:There is one community scenario with Safavid Persians in P&S already. Battle of Chaldiran. I believe Paul59 made it. Haven't managed to beat it yet. You play as the Persians.

I think we will probably have to wait a good while before a return to the age of Pike and Shot if only because there is so much Ancients/Medieval stuff that FoG2 will probably tackle first.

It would be neat to have a small P&S expansion pack focused on the muslim gunpowder empires though. If only to give the Ottomans some Non-European skirmish opponents. I don't think that the Mughals or the Persians would get played as much as the existing European lists in P&S. They would likely be outmatched in the later period of the game except for numbers. Especially, if played against non-historical opponents.

For example, Sengoku's MP scene while still active strikes me as not as popular as either the Early Modern European or Ancients/Medieval periods amongst most western facing gamers. It may just be a case of the audience not being as knowledgable about the period Sengoku covers but the number of open challenges is usually considerably less then P&S Campaigns and only a handful of community scenarios have been made for it. That said Sengoku is an awesome game with some really unique armies. Melee and ranged volleys with arrows in Sengoku seem slightly more decisive and satisfying then in P&S but not quite as streamlined as in FoG2.

All that said I'd love to see Warring States, Han, and other Chinese lists for FoG2 at some point.
I think Mughal etc armies would be quite popular, mismatched or not. I admit I have neglected Sengoku to some degree, but its as deep as P&S certainly. Not enough time and I find I struggled when I was playing matches in FOG1 P&S and Sengouko ( and now FOG2) at the same time. Too different yet too similar to separate, if that makes sense.
TWC
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TWC »

vj531, TheGrayMouser, Pixel and others... ^^ we invite you to TWC- pbem wargaming club to play Byzantine games- FoG2, P&S, Sengoku as multiplayer. Great games really, all deserve more mp activity! :wink:
(TWC) The Wargaming Club
http://thewargamingclub.online/
vj531
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vj531 »

TWC wrote:vj531, TheGrayMouser, Pixel and others... ^^ we invite you to TWC- pbem wargaming club to play Byzantine games- FoG2, P&S, Sengoku as multiplayer. Great games really, all deserve more mp activity! :wink:
Thank you I'll take a look.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Pixel wrote:There is one community scenario with Safavid Persians in P&S already. Battle of Chaldiran. I believe Paul59 made it. Haven't managed to beat it yet. You play as the Persians.
There is also my Extra Nations Mod which includes an army list for the Persians and many, many others. I designed it as a sandbox campaign, and I think RBS modified it so that you can play custom battles as well.

Unfortunately I could not include the Mughals, as I did not have models for the elephants.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

vj531 wrote:Is Pike & Shot going get a FOGII type makeover?
I hope not as I prefer the P&S graphics over the FoGII graphics and the P&S shooting system where both sides shoot every bound.

I have found Light Infantry to be far too powerful in FoGII
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Just out of curiousity can P&S Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai use the Slitherine tournament system?
Image Image
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Pixel wrote:Just out of curiousity can P&S Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai use the Slitherine tournament system?
Sadly not. This is unlikely to change because it would require engine changes, and no further work on the STUB engine is anticipated.
Richard Bodley Scott

Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Odenathus »

With all due respect to the striking animations and textures in FoG II, I'd also like to see skins for elephants, chariots, ballistae and narrower Mobs (to use as light infantry) added to P&S, so that it could be expanded into the Classical/Ancient period. I still feel happier with a phalanx that looks as though it contains one or two thousand men, rather than sixteen, however beautifully detailed and colourful the latter may be.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Odenathus wrote:With all due respect to the striking animations and textures in FoG II, I'd also like to see skins for elephants, chariots, ballistae and narrower Mobs (to use as light infantry) added to P&S, so that it could be expanded into the Classical/Ancient period. I still feel happier with a phalanx that looks as though it contains one or two thousand men, rather than sixteen, however beautifully detailed and colourful the latter may be.
Unfortunatelly graphic is the most important Thing which Counts for 90% of Videogamers. And after 1 or 2 years ist not good enough anymore and they Need the next game. Thats why we will never see a game which covers a lot of timeperiods. I"m sure in 2 or three years we will see a Fog 3.
Ladislav
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ladislav »

The genius of P&S:C is that is uses the period artwork as basis for representation of units on the map. This is why I am so happy with the product.

Period pic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... -K_063.jpg
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Odenathus wrote:I still feel happier with a phalanx that looks as though it contains one or two thousand men, rather than sixteen, however beautifully detailed and colourful the latter may be.
Exactly, I like the unit presentaion in P&S better. Furthermore I have problems with the 'giant' size of the figures in comparison to the map landscape, it's immersion-breaking for me.

Concerning a possible P&S makeover: The only thing (apart from generals and some minor tweaks ) I would like to see are better terrain textures of a higher resolution.
Micha wrote:Unfortunatelly graphic is the most important Thing which Counts for 90% of Videogamers. And after 1 or 2 years ist not good enough anymore and they Need the next game. Thats why we will never see a game which covers a lot of timeperiods. I"m sure in 2 or three years we will see a Fog 3.
Although I doubt that there will be a FOG3 in a few years I agree that the "attention span" for games is shrinking. Always a delight to see exceptions to this rule.

IC XC
NI KA
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Wow! Jomni went a made a bunch of Chinese lists for FoG2! I wasn’t expecting that. See: http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2473/Fi ... .Silk.Road?
Image Image

Return to “Pike & Shot”