Tone down Missile Troops?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
bssybeep
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Tone down Missile Troops?

Post by bssybeep »

I'm currently playing a custom game Greek vs Persians. The majority of my army is made up of armored veteran hoplites. So, my line of battle is set. The Persian skirmishers / horse archers approach and fire their missiles. Each shot is taking out 40-60 of my ARMORED veteran hoplites! Don't those guys raise their shields or form a shield wall or something? So, being the Greeks are heavy infantry, it's not like I can chase the Persians all over the field when they evade. Also, with the custom game setup, I only have a very limited choice of missile troops for the Greek side. So I am at a huge disadvantage when it comes to flank protection.

Seems the Persians missile troops should be toned down to account for the armored status of the hoplites.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Tone down Missile Troops?

Post by devoncop »

In every game I have played the Persians get crushed by the Greeks/Spartans/Macedonians etc.
They only have 5 rounds of full strength missiles and as soon as you contact them they will crumble. Most, apart from the skirmishes don't even evade.

Depends on yesterday of course but in open battlefields the Greeks should win.

If you want an MP game with you as the Persians and me as Syracuse or something, let me know....
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

bssybeep wrote:Seems the Persians missile troops should be toned down to account for the armored status of the hoplites.
They are.
Richard Bodley Scott

vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

they only have armour covering their vital parts and lower legs and (except for the greaves) even that armour is not necessarily made of metal; Hey you got to give the bowmen some chance, they are so easy to beat in combat.
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Mass bowfire is among the most annoying things to deal with but Bowman are exceedingly terrible in hand to hand and are usually not nimble enough to evade combat for long. Try screening your main hoplite line with skirmishing light troops. Even if they rout from missile casualties, they will not start a panic chain on your hoplite line.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
Temple

Post by Temple »

MikeC_81 wrote:Mass bowfire is among the most annoying things to deal with but Bowman are exceedingly terrible in hand to hand and are usually not nimble enough to evade combat for long. Try screening your main hoplite line with skirmishing light troops. Even if they rout from missile casualties, they will not start a panic chain on your hoplite line.
Yup, I do this too. Send a few light troops out to draw their fire and use up their ammo. I had to use this tactic against the Indian army, they have bunches of archers.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

devoncop wrote:In every game I have played the Persians get crushed by the Greeks/Spartans/Macedonians etc.
They only have 5 rounds of full strength missiles and as soon as you contact them they will crumble. Most, apart from the skirmishes don't even evade.

If you want an MP game with you as the Persians and me as Syracuse or something, let me know....
It is almost impossible to lose with Persians against Greeks when Hilly terrain is chosen. The Greeks have no chance in combat downhill in rough or difficult going and get shot to pieces if they don't close.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by AlexDetrojan »

I hear your pain, but what I do fighting against the arrow strong Persians is to use whatever light troops I have, including light horse and rush them to the Persian line to be used as pin-cushions, soak up those arrows. Then as that's happening, with post-haste I advance my hoplites into the Persian line...carnage for the Persians ensue's. :twisted:
Bombax
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Bombax »

Cunningcairn wrote:
devoncop wrote:In every game I have played the Persians get crushed by the Greeks/Spartans/Macedonians etc.

It is almost impossible to lose with Persians against Greeks when Hilly terrain is chosen. The Greeks have no chance in combat downhill in rough or difficult going and get shot to pieces if they don't close.
Even if that's true - and I think it's debatable, see suggestion above re masking hoplites with light troops - it only pertains to one terrain type. On flat terrain the Greeks can steamroll right over them. That feels about right to me, TBH.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

Temple wrote:
MikeC_81 wrote:Mass bowfire is among the most annoying things to deal with but Bowman are exceedingly terrible in hand to hand and are usually not nimble enough to evade combat for long. Try screening your main hoplite line with skirmishing light troops. Even if they rout from missile casualties, they will not start a panic chain on your hoplite line.
Yup, I do this too. Send a few light troops out to draw their fire and use up their ammo. I had to use this tactic against the Indian army, they have bunches of archers.
Add my vote to this suggestion; send skirmishers to screen your hoplites. Also, consider your angle of approach and how long it will take to close, perhaps have a multiple ranks or approach in a way that he can't just sit on tough of a rough terrain hill and pepper you with arrows. Note which units are drilled and will be able to flank effectively.

I don't know if armour influences missile losses, but it should. It looks like rbodleyscott is confirming that armour makes a difference.

The Greek army lists need some work. As an example, there's no superior medium foot, the Skiritai, for the Spartans. Another example, the army lists feature poorly armed rabble. I don't recall 5th and 4th century Greek texts describing poorly armed rabble as part of the battle line. If you're poorly armed you're a skirmisher.
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Cunningcairn wrote:

The math doesn't seem to work out though. I mean Immortals are freakin 75 points and Sparabara foot is like 45. 50% swordsmen, even if you are superior, isn't going to cut it against Offensive armored spears, uphill or otherwise. I mean if you are on top of a steep cliff sure but even mountain terrain type usually has a lot of flat ground or gentle hills.

Mass bows are usually better when they are cheap like the 36 point variant which you can spam more of since their value is almost all in breaking the enemy before they can come to grips.

Hendricus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hendricus »

rbodleyscott wrote:
bssybeep wrote:Seems the Persians missile troops should be toned down to account for the armored status of the hoplites.
They are.
Would be nice to see how many hits bounced from the armour.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

MikeC_81 wrote:Mass bows are usually better when they are cheap like the 36 point variant which you can spam more of since their value is almost all in breaking the enemy before they can come to grips.
I'm starting to wonder if massed bows are under costed. With a horse army it is frustrating to endure shots leading up to the charge. A neutral impact, and then a withdrawal only to be shot at again. Mounted withdrawals against bows should be out of bow range.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

I don't know if its a cost issue or not. It feels like it is simply one of several asymmetric matchups which I find to be unfun and lopsided in general. For example the a Horse archer army vs a foot heavy army isn't a lot of fun either for the foot guy.

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

MikeC_81 wrote:I don't know if its a cost issue or not. It feels like it is simply one of several asymmetric matchups which I find to be unfun and lopsided in general. For example the a Horse archer army vs a foot heavy army isn't a lot of fun either for the foot guy.
Historically it was even more painful for a foot heavy army to try & fight a horse archer army.
I think we need these kind of match-ups for realistic battles and they can be fun too.
The Battle of Arsuf is one of the best examples of how foot infantry with some melee cavalry could combat a horse archer army.
https://www.thoughtco.com/the-crusades- ... uf-2360710
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

Just frustrating seeing my Hoplites taking those high casualty hits from the missile troops. I think I just need to do a better job screening my line. I did end up winning the battle anyways ;-)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

bssybeep wrote:I did end up winning the battle anyways ;-)
Well that's the point. The archers seem to be doing well until the hoplites get into close combat, then they lose.

Would you rather they put up no fight at all?
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”