Unit visibility in BUAs?

Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Unit visibility in BUAs?

Post by Odenathus »

I know that Built Up Areas don't feature heavily in Ancient battles, but this can't be right: I'm working on a scenario where the Gallic Warbands start in a BUA but, in the SP version at least, all the units in there are visible on the Roman turn 1. They disappear (unless they leave the village) at the start of Roman turn 2 but by then it's obviously too late.

That can't be right, surely?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Unit visibility in BUAs?

Post by Paul59 »

I found the same thing a few weeks ago and mentioned it to RBS. He said it was how the scenarios always work. It is actually nothing to do with the built up area, or any other terrain feature. On turn one the player can see all the AI units. After turn one the normal visibility rules kick in. I don't know if the same applies to mp games. Richard did suggest a script that I could use to override it, but I could not get it to work. I will post the script for you later to see if you can work it out. I was going to ask Richard for some more help with it, but haven't got around to it yet.

EDIT: The script is in this thread:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... ty#p680287
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Cheers, but like Von Moltke and 'culture'. when I hear the word 'scripting' I reach for the safety catch of my revolver.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Odenathus wrote:Cheers, but like Von Moltke and 'culture'. when I hear the word 'scripting' I reach for the safety catch of my revolver.
If I ever get this script working, I will send it to you. I tried again last night, with no success though. I will need RBS help on this one!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

Any word on whether this applies to MP games as well? Kind of important to know if the other side can see all of your units regardless of where they are!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:Any word on whether this applies to MP games as well? Kind of important to know if the other side can see all of your units regardless of where they are!
It doesn't apply to random map games, where the entire enemy deployment area is FOWd out until you complete force selection and deployment.

It only affects preset ("Epic" or community created) scenarios. And of those, only one of the vanilla scenarios has any hidden units - and anyone who has read about the battle will know about them anyway.

It is mainly an issue for future preset scenarios. We have requested that the engine programmer looks into it.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Paul59 wrote:I found the same thing a few weeks ago and mentioned it to RBS. He said it was how the scenarios always work. It is actually nothing to do with the built up area, or any other terrain feature. On turn one the player can see all the AI units. After turn one the normal visibility rules kick in. I don't know if the same applies to mp games. Richard did suggest a script that I could use to override it, but I could not get it to work. I will post the script for you later to see if you can work it out. I was going to ask Richard for some more help with it, but haven't got around to it yet.

EDIT: The script is in this thread:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... ty#p680287
Thanks to RBS, I now have a little bit of script which implements the normal LOS rules on turn 1, allowing units out of sight to be hidden from the player view. You just paste this into the scenario.bsf file at the end:

FUNCTION PostLOSActions()
{
if(GetTurn()==0)
{
SetAreaLOS(x,y,x2,y2,0,0);
}
}

x is the lowest x value of the map rectangle in which you want to hide the units from view.
y is the lowest y value of the map rectangle in which you want to hide the units from view.
x2 is the highest x value of the map rectangle in which you want to hide the units from view.
y2 is the highest y value of the map rectangle in which you want to hide the units from view.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Paul
Thanks for this need to be able to do this for my Mons Badonicus scenario. However created this as a single player one and there is no scenario.BSF file in the scenario only a "MONS_BADONICUS_517AD.BAM" one. should this script be going at the end of the TXT1.TXT or TXT9.TXT file instead ?

Many thanks
Ian
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hoplite1963 wrote:Hi Paul
Thanks for this need to be able to do this for my Mons Badonicus scenario. However created this as a single player one and there is no scenario.BSF file in the scenario only a "MONS_BADONICUS_517AD.BAM" one. should this script be going at the end of the TXT1.TXT or TXT9.TXT file instead ?
Hi Ian,

No, that wouldn't work.

In the main directory of the game build, you will find a file called SCENARIOTEMPLATE.BSF.

Copy this into the /SCENARIOS folder of your Mons Badonicus folder. Then change its name to "MONS_BADONICUS_517AD.BSF". The name must match the filename of the .BAM file.

Then add the code to the end of that file as Paul suggested.
Richard Bodley Scott

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Richard
Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Regards

Return to “Field of Glory II: Scenario Design”