Modifying the Units File

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AceDuceTrey
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Modifying the Units File

Post by AceDuceTrey »

I recently had a total crash of my computer and lost everything including what to use to open the units file other than Excel. The file used aligned all the columns making it quick and easy to modify the data. Could you please tell me what
to use, I probably will have to purchase the application.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Modifying the Units File

Post by zakblood »

not really a tech support question, i'm sorry to say,

better to try the modding section as i have no idea tbh

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=374

Open Word
WPS Office Free
LibreOffice
Apache OpenOffice (is what i use)
SoftMaker FreeOffice
Google Docs

will all open excel files and all above are free and most are open source etc
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

@ADT, I use CSVed. It looks like an ogre to learn at first but it does come around eventually, given time and repeated use.

When you Google "CSVed," you come up with links to web sites like download.cnet, softonic, snapfiles, and softpedia. Getting any program from those sources is a good way to get malware.

Instead, if you are going to use CSVed, I recommend going to the source. Spare a thought for leaving the guy a donation.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I use OpenOffice Calc for editing the units.csv file (and all other spread sheet needs).
I find it simple to use.
http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote:I use OpenOffice Calc for editing the units.csv file (and all other spread sheet needs).
I find it simple to use.
http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
Do you find that it saves the file properly? Because that's the problem with using MS Office Excel; it does not save the file into the correct csv format. If so, maybe will try OpenOffice Calc myself if it's easier to use than CSVed.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Hmmm. Never mind, Erik, but thanks for the suggestion.

The reason is, when I went to the Apache OpenOffice download site, I noticed that the "Download full installation" button takes you to SourceForge for the actual file download. SourceForge was written up a while ago as having succumbed to the temptation of bundling legitimate software with sponsored crapware, like Download.cnet, Tucows, FileHippo, and a bunch of other fly-by-nights have notoriously done in the past.

And while this update article says that they have cleaned up their act, I still don't trust them. I always prefer to download programs directly from the source and if that is not possible with Apache OpenOffice, I will stick with CSVed which I know doesn't have any (well, at least I haven't seen any) crapware.

EDIT: Seeing recent Google hits like this are not encouraging. Maybe SourceForge is respectable again. Maybe not.
Capture132.jpg
Capture132.jpg (207.61 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I have used LibreOfficeCalc to modify the Units File for changing the Cavalry units (http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=80069)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote:I have used LibreOfficeCalc to modify the Units File for changing the Cavalry units (http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=80069)
Now, this one appears to be downloadable directly from the source; i.e., the LibreOffice Document Foundation:

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/calc/
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

That's more reassuring.

But again, the question is, does this program save an edited units.csv file in a manner which is compatible with OOB? I imagine the answer is "Yes" in both cases, else you fellows would not be using these programs . . .
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

With LibreOfficeCalc :

- Open the file :
Open.JPG
Open.JPG (62.32 KiB) Viewed 5947 times
- Save the file :
Save.JPG
Save.JPG (16.84 KiB) Viewed 5947 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

And that works for you, obviously. Hmmm. Hmmm. [Rubs bearded chin in thoughtful contemplation.]

Thanks.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Yes. Yes! Behold the all-new, all-powerful SOVIET CARGO TRUCK!
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (199.65 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
Watch as this super truck crushes enemy infantry and armor while mercifully sparing its puny enemy counterpart (scroll down the image). Warning: This is not for the squeamish!
2017-11-11_154351.jpg
2017-11-11_154351.jpg (714.43 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
The power. The POWER! Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! :twisted:
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

The above was brought to you by LibreOffice Calc, courtesy of terminator (thank you). Very easy to use, much easier than CSVed.

Here's an important point. Above, it was indicated by terminator that the units.csv file must be imported as semi-colon delimited only:
Capture136.jpg
Capture136.jpg (137.69 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
However, by default, LibreOffice Calc will offer to import the file this way:
Capture135.jpg
Capture135.jpg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
I did it the "no good" way the first time I edited units.csv with LibreOffice Calc and OOB crashed. It is very important that the format of unit.csv does not change after editing the file.

Anyway, you can see that I was successful and I am interested in LibreOffice in general! Bonus for hanging around these forums so much! :)
- Bru
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

Thank you all! the Apache works like a charm. :D
elconfederado
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by elconfederado »

I have a bonehead question here. Is this a way to modify the unit files to make the Italians playable, make them core units, for example in the Greece scenario?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

elconfederado wrote:I have a bonehead question here. Is this a way to modify the unit files to make the Italians playable, make them core units, for example in the Greece scenario?
Why do you think it's a bonehead question? It's a good question but I can only speculate as I am no expert.

Officially, you are limited only to units which have been developed for OOB by the Artistocrats. So, were you to use the Scenario Editor to try to introduce or include more Italian units in a Greece scenario, you would be limited to these (as of version 4.1.7 and I don't think any more Italian units will be released with Panzerkrieg; I remember Hungarians but not Italians in beta):
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
The gunboat on the right is the beginning of generic units that are available to all nations. So, this array of Italian units is reflected in units.csv:
Capture170.jpg
Capture170.jpg (89.4 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
That's it! It's all that is officially available for Italy. But, I believe you have two options. The first is a heck of a lot easier than the second.

First option: Call up the units from another nation (the nation has to be included as an Alliance in the scenario; make it neutral if it will not be used), focus on the unit that you want, then change the flag to Italy before placing it on the map. Make it a core unit if you wish. Like this . . . Behold the dreaded Italian Tiger Tank! . . . yeah, right :roll:
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
Second option: Modification. Meaning, you design your own Italian units or you manipulate the units.csv file to mock up Italian units using existing unit designs. Here's a hint:
Capture171.jpg
Capture171.jpg (164.33 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
Again, I am no expert but what I think the highlighted entries mean is that you can using existing models to animate new units. I believe that is what they did here when they created Colonial Infantry and Indian Engineers for Burma Road; they based them on existing British units. However, how to actually make new units and incorporate them into the game using unique unit IDs is something way beyond what I know.

So, maybe the first option might be better for you, or maybe wait until OOB's focus moves to the Mediterranean (Afrika Korps?). That's when you will see many more Italian units.
- Bru
elconfederado

Post by elconfederado »

Thank you bru888! That is very helpful.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Abbreviations used in the file units.csv :

- id = identifier
- idleEffect = animations when the player character does not do any action
- mp = movements points
- ap = action points
- LOS = Line Of Sight = visibility on the playing battlefield (spotting points)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”