Field of Glory II Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Field of Glory II Tournament

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote:I will look into that too. We could disable side B flank marches for MP, but then again they add a bit of fun. They could perhaps be disabled for tournament games, but currently the game has no way of knowing if an MP game is a tournament game.
I would like to see flank marches completely disabled for Side B in multi-player really. They definitely should be for tournament games, I feel.
AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

The issue with my game is related a double account (my old MP account is different that my forum nickname) and the Slitherine support is working on it. Any chance to have a couple more days for the first round?
Thanks
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

AlessandroD wrote:The issue with my game is related a double account (my old MP account is different that my forum nickname) and the Slitherine support is working on it. Any chance to have a couple more days for the first round?
Thanks
Unfortunately the system is automated and it isn't possible to do that.
Richard Bodley Scott

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

No problem, quick support and the issue has been resolved. Turn sent, waiting my opponent :D
kaliyama
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by kaliyama »

stockwellpete wrote:
Sharkall wrote:Are there any rules for conceding/surrendering? I don't plan on doing that of course, but my opponent did in both my games. Besides being poor form (there's no risk of getting injured like in a physical sport for continuing, and the opponent general deserves to witness his plans come to fruition - or not), it can be very disadvantaging in this tournament format (for the winner).

For example, one of my games was going 5% (my casualties) - 3% (enemy), at which point the enemy general surrendered even though had been inflicting more casualties and it was early in a battle in which he didn't have very good prospects. For that I received 60 points, the minimum win reward (as you get 60 + the difference between you and your opponent). If you take the current top player after first round, he has 209 points, for an average of more than 100 per game. That is what you get for a 40%-0% victory. But you never have that chance if the opponent concedes say when you are up 10%-0%, you lose a potential 30 points instantly. That doesn't seem very fair in a point based tournament...
I agree with this and I have raised it before. At the very least the winning player in these circumstances should get the 60pts for the win plus a default 25pts for the minimum winning margin on games ending around the 40% losses mark. So in this case where a player has resigned both games the winner should be getting 170pts at the very least.

I also think there is a case for saying that if a player resigns a game before the end then their default score should be zero. I actually think that players should be free to resign without rancour as long as they know that there may be penalties for doing so.
Thanks. I am trying to figure out how to respond to this - there are enough things to the game not evident from the manual (e.g. how sub-commanders work, which I had no idea until after i started these matches and then stumbled upon the post on that topic in this thread), that I am just going to keep getting blown out every match. Were I to want to keep playing multiplayer there'd be no question of staying in and taking my lumps, but at this point I doubt I want to keep playing multiplayer as the only way I will fully understand the rules and how the game works is by losing iteratively, and for me the game does not do a great job giving feedback of what is happening on enemy turns or what I am doing wrong. I am sure people who did not start out with tabletop rules do this, I just don't want to devote the time to doing so given the amount of time it will take versus the reward I will receive from it, given my limited allotment of free time.

I would just concede every match to bow out of the tournament but don't want to penalize people. But on the other hand, if I stay in matches at my current level of ignorance about game mechanics, i'm effectively "feeding" points to my opponents in a way that does not seem very fair either. What do people think the ethical way to proceed is?
Last edited by kaliyama on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Ok, so you will lose your first round match-ups heavily and score very few points. This means, in the second round, that you will play someone who is equally finding it very hard at the moment. So, in theory, you should have two much more equal games to play - and as you play a bit more you will start to gain experience. I would say, stick with it and complete the tournament.
AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

What the heck, my opponent never played a turn and I'm out of tournament? :?: :roll:
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

AlessandroD wrote:What the heck, my opponent never played a turn and I'm out of tournament? :?: :roll:
Aargh. Did you play a turn in your game of the pair? If so, then the system has not worked as intended and we are very sorry.
Richard Bodley Scott

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

Just my first turn in one game...never mind.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

AlessandroD wrote:Just my first turn in one game...never mind.
That should have been enough to make the other guy the timed out player in both games, in which case you would not have been excluded from the draw. This probably means there is a bug in the server script logic.

I am very sorry this has happened to you. We will endeavour to correct the script logic for future tournaments.
Richard Bodley Scott

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

rbodleyscott wrote:
That should have been enough to make the other guy the timed out player in both games, in which case you would not have been excluded from the draw. This probably means there is a bug in the server script logic.

I am very sorry this has happened to you. We will endeavour to correct the script logic for future tournaments.
No problem, my game has been useful at least, sort of...
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

AlessandroD wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

No problem, my game has been useful at least, sort of...
This is the result of the investigation:
finally got it!

I had to investigate a little bit here…

AlessandroD played his turn after 4 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes and 41 seconds after the start of the round.

The round has been set up for 7 days.

This means that “xIGuNDoCIx” had less time to play his turn:

- 2 Days, 15 Hours, 22 minutes, 19 seconds

So, AlessandroD was given the timeout, which is correct.
Sorry!

If you did not get email notifications, you should now be able to set these up here.

https://www.slitherine.com/members/subscriptions.asp

Log in and on the members page you will find a link called PBEM Notifications on the right hand side of the Members screen.
Richard Bodley Scott

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

Correct, one of the games started later for an account issue (resolved by Slitherine support), anyhow my opponent never played a turn and still think that my elimination wasn't my fault.

Thanks for the update :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

AlessandroD wrote:Correct, one of the games started later for an account issue (resolved by Slitherine support), anyhow my opponent never played a turn and still think that my elimination wasn't my fault.
Agreed. But the system is automated and unable to take into account those special circumstances. It does not know the reason why you did not play for 4 days.

As I say, sorry you had this experience.
Richard Bodley Scott

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

No problem, I joyned the new one :D
Thanks again for the support.
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Does anyone know which Macedonian list we are working with in Round 3?
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

This is a message to my 3rd round opponent, kaliyama.

Friend - why did you surrender both our games before they even started? You did good in round 2. You say you're frustrated with all the undocumented features. I tend to agree with you that this game should be much, much better explained. However, multiplayer is exactly the same as single player. So, why would you be soured to multiplayer as you said you won't play it again.

It's the same thing. It's pretty frustrating that you just up and quit in the last round. You could take it as a learning experience. I'm not very good either, but multiplayer is the BEST way to learn.

I'm disappointed, but that's life in the big public tournament city.
kaliyama

Post by kaliyama »

Sorry Frollo.dine. I did good in round 2 but the frustration isn't so much winning and losing - i'm perfectly happy losing - it's not having any feedback on why I was winning or losing from the game. It was not having any meaningful mechanism for understanding what went better in game 2 which made me give up entirely (other than my opponent having not yet figured out the undocumented mechanic for maxing out subgenerals). Sorry to mess up your tournament, but I did not expect this unsatisfying an experience from my solo play ahead of time. Needless to say I won't be entering future tournaments.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Hi kali-yo-mama . . . yeah, the general allocation is very lame right now. I don't understand why they designed it this way. It's a very poor implementation.

Regardless . . . you were probably winning because you employed better tactics, and attacked with the "right" units at the right time. It's a learning experience. The more you play, vs. A.I. and more importantly, vs. real human opponents, the more you learn.

That's no reason to give up on a tournament and completely give up on online play. Playing humans is the most satisfying part of this game, in my opinion. I'm sorry you don't agree.

I still don't get what you are unsatisfied about, but oh well. You build an army, attack, and either win or lose. I don't see what could be unsatisfying about that, especially since you say you don't mind losing, same as me. I don't care if I win or lose. I just want to have a fun game, and maybe learn some good tactics along the way. If you stop playing tournaments, you will miss out on LOTS of learning.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

+1
MP is by far the best way to learn. I never played FOG1 but through playing lots of MP....only one match abandoned by my opponent....I have learnt a lot. This is without scrutinising the manual line by line or reallocating Generals and their commands left right and centre (excuse the pun).
I would say stick with it, but if you do to back into MP, please do finish the matches.

Return to “Field of Glory II”