A community update for Armageddon!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

A community update for Armageddon!

Post by AlbertoC »

A few months ago Slitherine was contacted by a computer engineer from Turkey (birthplace of the Emperor, beloved by all) called Gunes Kuday. He is a fan of Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon and he proposed to work on a free update for it. There were some aspects of the game he wanted to improve, so we gave him the source code and he has worked since then to expand the game.

We are happy to announce that the first community update for Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon is now ready!

It is a completely free and optional update, one that you can now download easily from this link or this one. It is stand-alone, you just need to have the base version of Armageddon installed on your computer (either the Slitherine or Steam version).

To play it, after downloading, unzip the files and put them in a new folder on your hard drive, not in your game files folder, and run ArmageddonGame.exe.

It is a stand-alone: you can just download, place the files in a new folder, and play, without needing to install anything! You only need the base game installed on a different folder on your computer.

Thank you so much Gunes for your hard work!

For this occasion, we are also putting Armageddon and all its DLCs on sale for one week! Don’t miss it!

New features

- Fourth weapon option to any unit and new GUI

It is now possible to mod the game and add a fourth weapon to any unit, and it will be shown in every screen in the game! Furthermore, Baneblades were given extra weapons to fill the 4th slot, and they are now more powerful than before.

- Siege weapon trait

Now the “siege” weapon trait makes it ignore half of the target’s cover bonus, making all siege weapons really good at hitting units in cover.

- Terror weapon trait

Now weapons with the Terror trait will cause 10 points of extra morale damage, making them extremely effective at destroying the enemy morale.

- AA Weapon trait

AA Weapons will now have 100% accuracy against Flying units. Did you ever find that those deffkoptas were a thorn in your side? Fear no more and use those AA guns!
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Re: A community update for Armageddon!

Post by deranzo »

Hi guys.

- Now, you can add 4 weapon to any unit in the game. To Orks, Steel Legion and all Space Marines.
- AA weapons affect related units much more. For example you can see flyer units can't evade AA weapons anymore.
- Terror weapons really destroys unit morale now.
- Siege weapons do significant damage to any unit in cover. They are "real siege weapons" now. And also you can see Siege trait icon in unit details GUI which wasn't exist before.

All changes are also dlc compatible. You can use them in your dlcs too.

I hope you will enjoy new features!

A very quick mention: First screenshot is just for demonstration to 4th weapon. Macharius Vanquisher doesn't have 2 Stormshard Mortars actually =) But it's a demonstration that you can add any weapon to any unit and it will have proper GUI view, animation and sound effects!
it is a good day to die
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

The link isn't working at the moment, but look forward to trying it out once it is.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Sorry for the Dropbox link which stopped working guys, we're re-uploading the update on an FTP server. We'll post a functioning link soon (as well as edit the first post).
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

Looks like it works again. I could download it. I couldn´t test it yet since it not only took ages to download it, but it seems to take even longer to unzip the package. I guess I need new hardware one of these days ...
wolkenwand
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by wolkenwand »

Can't download it yet: "This link is temporarily disabled. The person who shared it hit their daily limit of traffic or downloads."
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

There seems to be a problem. During briefings, choices don´t seem to work correctly anymore:
wh.jpg
wh.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 131413 times
Both should appear in one box, now they appear in two boxes, which pop up one after the other. You can´t choose the first variant.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

You can also download the files from this alternate link.
toupou
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by toupou »

thanks, Deranzo

i confirm the error with the choice in briefings.

i'm playing and experimenting with the files and rebalancing

I KNOW this is free, so feel free to disregard my suggestion.

i think that certain weapons should have a flat bonus to accuracy against tanks and titans. like lascannons, or vanquisher cannon. it's a good way to balance anti-tank weapons without making them overpowered against infantry.

this could be done with a pair of traits like "Flyer" and "AA". "Tank" and "Anti-Tank".
the "Tank" trait is just a marker for units and don't have any effect.
the "Anti-Tank" trait is for weapons and gives double accuracy against units with "Tank" trait.
and that's it.
it's not complicated (at least for the players) and it's really useful for balancing purposes. but it's not in the base game so i don't know how much complex is the task to add it in the code.

for example, a lascannon have double accuracy against a leman russ. but not against walkers like dreadnoughts or killa cans. Or any infantry.
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

toupou wrote:thanks, Deranzo

i confirm the error with the choice in briefings.

i'm playing and experimenting with the files and rebalancing

I KNOW this is free, so feel free to disregard my suggestion.

i think that certain weapons should have a flat bonus to accuracy against tanks and titans. like lascannons, or vanquisher cannon. it's a good way to balance anti-tank weapons without making them overpowered against infantry.

this could be done with a pair of traits like "Flyer" and "AA". "Tank" and "Anti-Tank".
the "Anti-Tank" trait is for weapons and gives double accuracy against units with "Tank" trait.
and that's it.
it's not complicated (at least for the players) and it's really useful for balancing purposes. but it's not in the base game so i don't know how much complex is the task to add it in the code.

for example, a lascannon have double accuracy against a leman russ. but not against walkers like dreadnoughts or killa cans. Or any infantry.
Hello toupou.
Briefing screen error will be fixed, sorry for that.

Thanks for ideas! There are intentions to add new traits, weapons etc for the future. And it's not too complex to do in code. But I can't decide by myself and needs to be discussed. If it will be decided, then I can work on that as soon as possible.
But feel free to share ideas about anything, it help to improve the game ;)
By the way, have you tried my mod in the mods section? It adds tens of new units with 4 weapon on most of units, new sound effects, new stats etc.
it is a good day to die
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

toupou wrote:this could be done with a pair of traits like "Flyer" and "AA". "Tank" and "Anti-Tank".
and that's it.

I never had the feeling that AT weapons were underpowered against tanks. Also, this would be very unintuitional. AT weapons are not known for better accuracy against tanks, but for better penetration (or penetrating at all). It would be weird for them to easily hit metal cans on the ground, but not those slightly above the ground, like Titans. Sure, reality isn´t the gold standard for WH40k.
toupou

Post by toupou »

i've seen your mod and played a little, deranzo. i really like the artwork of the game, so i don't like much the photoshoped new images. i prefer rebalancing and small changes (like adding or removing sponsons) instead of totally new units. i play in normal too and balance the game for this difficulty. But i guess i can give it a go in hard.

sn0wball. titans should have the "tank" trait. And metal cans shouldn't (as in heavy armored walkers). fast vehicles like tauros, bikes and warbuggies... that it's a good question. maybe they shouldn't.

but big tanks? no matter the rules of the tabletop game, it makes sense that a big target it's easier to hit. tanks don't rely on accuracy ratios of the enemies, they rely on armor and being suported by other vehicles and infantry. so, a lascannon should have high accuracy (+80% in most situations) and ~100% with normal morale and clear terrain.

example: lascannon: 100% -10% accuracy. shoots two hexes ahead, clear terrain no LoS obstruction, and normal morale we have 80% accuracy. it's a leman russ, and they have 60% accuracy, so the final accuracy is 48%. this is the number that is doubled. so, 48% accuracy against a ork boy AND a killa can or other walkers, but 96% accuracy against a grot tank.

i know that it's even easier to hit a tank with a bolter, but a bolter would bounce off the tank. so the accuracy is fine as it is in the case of small arms and other heavy weapons like heavy bolters and autocannons.
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

toupou wrote:i've seen your mod and played a little, deranzo. i really like the artwork of the game, so i don't like much the photoshoped new images. i prefer rebalancing and small changes (like adding or removing sponsons) instead of totally new units. i play in normal too and balance the game for this difficulty. But i guess i can give it a go in hard.

sn0wball. titans should have the "tank" trait. And metal cans shouldn't (as in heavy armored walkers). fast vehicles like tauros, bikes and warbuggies... that it's a good question. maybe they shouldn't.

but big tanks? no matter the rules of the tabletop game, it makes sense that a big target it's easier to hit. tanks don't rely on accuracy ratios of the enemies, they rely on armor and being suported by other vehicles and infantry. so, a lascannon should have high accuracy (+80% in most situations) and ~100% with normal morale and clear terrain.

example: lascannon: 100% -10% accuracy. shoots two hexes ahead, clear terrain no LoS obstruction, and normal morale we have 80% accuracy. it's a leman russ, and they have 60% accuracy, so the final accuracy is 48%. this is the number that is doubled. so, 48% accuracy against a ork boy AND a killa can or other walkers, but 96% accuracy against a grot tank.

i know that it's even easier to hit a tank with a bolter, but a bolter would bounce off the tank. so the accuracy is fine as it is in the case of small arms and other heavy weapons like heavy bolters and autocannons.

Keep offering guys, I will add them together, decide and will update the game in the future (I can't say how soon for now) according to those.
it is a good day to die
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

I have created a topic for suggestions and bug reports for new version. Please write in there from now on.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 35&t=79544
it is a good day to die
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by t341 »

I cannot see the new tanks. Only the old ones show up. Am I mising something?

Return to “News & Announcements”