OOB Down The Road

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: OOB Down The Road

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote:
Andy2012 wrote:@terminator: OoB WWI would be a bit too static for me. I think the supply system is made for Blitzkrieg style warfare.
Sad to see that the World War I always has so not much success :(
It was not only a static war. There was tanks, planes, sea battles, submarines, chemical attack, heroes...
The supply system obliges to move forward carefully. Several times my tanks were cut by the line of supply by wanting to move forward too quickly in the enemy lines in OoB.
There was a game called "World War I": it is a real-time strategy based on the modified version of the well-known Blitzkrieg engine.
I agree with this. WWI is more interesting than some folks think and I believe OOB could cover it nicely. Most people envision only trenches in France whereas there many other things going on; it was a World War, after all.

SO maybe not as many OOB:WWI campaigns as we are seeing for OOB:WWII, but perhaps a different approach featuring individual scenarios as well as campaigns?

STOP! Put away your flaming torches. Of course selling OOB by the scenario would need to be cheaper but, as I have experienced (and currently am experiencing) in my own meager creative efforts, a scenario can be very large, complex, and long.

So for example, detailed scenarios dealing with these WWI episodes, perhaps?
* The Battle of Jutland, an interesting sea battle and the only major one of the war.
* The Battle of the Marne, which certainly was not static and was an early turning point of the war (if Germany had reached Paris, it might have ended early as well).
* The Battle of Tannenberg, which was not static either.
* The Gallipoli Campaign would make for an interesting scenario (just not a campaign).
* Other important battles - Ypres, Cambrai, Somme, Verdun - could be represented as long as they are not tedious.
* The beginning of the Russian Revolution in Petrograd could be interesting (I am thinking of Burma Road's Quit India scenario).

For a more traditional campaign-style approach to WWI, how about these suggestions?
* The air war over the Western Front; a series of scenarios in which one side or the other establishes air superiority with "aces" accumulating victories while hoping to survive the war.
* The Mesopotamian Campaign (British vs. Ottomans).
* The Alpine Campaign (Italy vs. Austria).
* The Russian Civil War (Whites vs. Reds).
* The Arab Revolt with a new commander to be added: Lawrence of Arabia (must be able to be assigned to a horse unit :) ).
* An African campaign involving British, French, and German colonial forces.
* A naval campaign; the Battle of Jutland was the only major sea battle, but there were other interesting actions: the German U-Boat campaign; the raiding career of the SMS Emden; the Battle of Cornel and the ensuing pursuit of the cruisers SMS Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, culminating in their destruction at the Battle of the Falklands; even "the first use of aircraft carriers in combat, with HMS Furious launching Sopwith Camels in a successful raid against the Zeppelin hangars at Tondern."
* Heck, there was even an Asian and Pacific Theater of World War I which was new to me until I did a bit of research just now. Siege of Tsingtao, anyone?

So yes, my friends, there is plenty about World War I for OOB to cover if The Artistocrats ever wish to go there.
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

A whole program :!:

Recent report on a submarine of the World War I :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryr8nnYJ7YU
LoyalSoldier
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by LoyalSoldier »

How about an alternative history campaign on an allied invasion of Japan. That could be a sequel to both US Marines and Burma Road.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

Single misson DLC´s would have no interest for me, no matter at what price.

I´m purely in it for campaign play.

I wouldn´t mind more "what if", but think it should be in concert with the more historical campaigns and not purely a what if DLC. But then again, if they could make it right.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”