Campaign Game

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Campaign Game

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:Thanks again for your response. Can you tell us whether the game data will be stored in some sort of XML format which would allow players to develop these tools on their own?
The short answer that that is no, the engine uses its own format.
Richard Bodley Scott

pansarskott
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by pansarskott »

Will you be able to mod the unit stats to some extent?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pansarskott wrote:Will you be able to mod the unit stats to some extent?
Yes, they are held in an Excel file. Any custom campaign can use its own custom version of the Excel file.
Richard Bodley Scott

pansarskott

Post by pansarskott »

Yes, they are held in an Excel file. Any custom campaign can use its own custom version of the Excel file.

Great to hear! :)
pansarskott

Post by pansarskott »

Oh, and one more question: Is the roman cohorts going to have real attributes, like being very flexible on the battlefield and fast at changing formation and meeting unexpected threats? Will the roman ai use the three line system?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pansarskott wrote:Oh, and one more question: Is the roman cohorts going to have real attributes, like being very flexible on the battlefield and fast at changing formation and meeting unexpected threats?
Romans are certainly more flexible and manoeuvrable than pike phalanxes or warbands.
Will the roman ai use the three line system?
Yes.
Richard Bodley Scott

pansarskott

Post by pansarskott »

rbodleyscott wrote:
pansarskott wrote:Oh, and one more question: Is the roman cohorts going to have real attributes, like being very flexible on the battlefield and fast at changing formation and meeting unexpected threats?
Romans are certainly more flexible and manoeuvrable than pike phalanxes or warbands.
Will the roman ai use the three line system?
Yes.

Ok! You got yourself a customer. :)
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Will the data that I input into the custom Excel file then be imported into/used in the game, or will the custom Excel file simply hold the data that I will need to manually input into the next campaign game?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:
Will the data that I input into the custom Excel file then be imported into/used in the game, or will the custom Excel file simply hold the data that I will need to manually input into the next campaign game?
The custom squads file will automatically be used in the custom campaign.
Richard Bodley Scott

Elkrab
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Elkrab »

Hi Richard,
Huge fan of your work.
Implementing a campaign system for FOG2 has sold me already. Can't wait. I can live without a campaign map, but I really hope there is some form of decision making between battles. I want to be connected to my force and feel real pressure when I send them in, but at the same time the objectives have to make sense. I want to gain supply and decide which parts of my force get the benefit. Perhaps there could be a benefit to retiring a Veteran unit?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Elkrab wrote:Hi Richard,
Huge fan of your work.
Implementing a campaign system for FOG2 has sold me already. Can't wait. I can live without a campaign map, but I really hope there is some form of decision making between battles. I want to be connected to my force and feel real pressure when I send them in, but at the same time the objectives have to make sense. I want to gain supply and decide which parts of my force get the benefit. Perhaps there could be a benefit to retiring a Veteran unit?
There often is.
Richard Bodley Scott

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

Personally, im still kinda waiting for a game, where pre-battle maneuvering, recon and positioning would play as big role as battle itself.. anything planned in that regard? (i dont mean just moving around actual battle map, but the whole process of getting units to certain place, discovering the enemy location, choosing the best ground for the battle, skirmishing etc etc..)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

JaM2013 wrote:Personally, im still kinda waiting for a game, where pre-battle maneuvering, recon and positioning would play as big role as battle itself.. anything planned in that regard?
Not in the current iteration.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote:
JaM2013 wrote:Personally, im still kinda waiting for a game, where pre-battle maneuvering, recon and positioning would play as big role as battle itself.. anything planned in that regard?
Not in the current iteration.
Is that something you are interested in doing at some stage, Richard? I think it could certainly add much greater depth to campaigns.
Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

Maybe do something like AGEOD pre battle army deployment???

I refer for example if you have more cavalry (light cavalry) you can know the enemy deployment options while he cant know yours??? but this force that deployments be fixed to certain types... defender have to more options because know better terrain.

And talking about defend... do you did something with defensive works??? is possible made a more intensive use of them??? in old FOG they were very useless and nobody used them in DAG battles because eat a lot of points and not offer enough compared with deploy more combat units.
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

Scutarii, i played old FOG and yes nobody used them ; however in P&S / SJ, in defence scenarios (even the skirmish ones) defensive works are used and they are of good use.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adraeth wrote:Scutarii, i played old FOG and yes nobody used them ; however in P&S / SJ, in defence scenarios (even the skirmish ones) defensive works are used and they are of good use.
True, but such battles were rarely fought in Ancient times, even by the Romans. They were experts at building defences, but they did not use them in pitched battles. Nor did they generally assault the field fortifications of the enemy, even in civil war battles, except the enemy camp once the battle was already won.

Hence field fortifications do exist in the system, and can be used in scenarios if required, but they are not used in FOG2 skirmishes.
Richard Bodley Scott

JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

Romans did use fortifications in battles, but mostly during late Republic.. for example Sulla used field fortifications quite a lot against Mithridates if I recall it correctly. Also Caesar used them against Gauls, he even fortified a river bank in one occasion to deny Helvetii passage.. they tried to break through but were defeated.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

JaM2013 wrote:Romans did use fortifications in battles, but mostly during late Republic.. for example Sulla used field fortifications quite a lot against Mithridates if I recall it correctly.
Not in battle. I am not talking about their use during pre-battle activities.
Also Caesar used them against Gauls, he even fortified a river bank in one occasion to deny Helvetii passage.. they tried to break through but were defeated.
Fair enough.
Richard Bodley Scott

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

Not only romans used field defenses... in a dark forest in Germania were used VS romans :roll:

Well, have them present in game is good, maybe not have them in skirmish limit a little but if in the end they are going to be like in old FOG is not a great miss... you talk about skirmish but... is not present the DAG mode like in old FOG??? to prevent rebuy all the time when you search a battle???

Return to “Field of Glory II”