Enjoying the game

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Enjoying the game

Post by Ironclad »

Fun and addictive to play especially in pbem and the freeze problems seem to have been sorted (thanks for that). In view of Ian's comments about the programming hassles and unanticipated cost of development I don't know what scope there is for future expansions but it would be great if the game system could be used for further battles perhaps linked in a later campaign expansion. For those of us who don't like realtime this would seem a good alternative system to Ultimate General.
RussW
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Enjoying the game

Post by RussW »

I agree it is a good game in terms of complexity (moderate) and the feel of the maps..Sure it has it's little idiosyncrasies but what game is perfect..I like the turn based rather than the Ultimate General play style ,,Though I do play both..There seems to be good support to questions asked on this forum and I trust further patches would improve this game..I do kind of wish there were hex borders but that's just the old board war gamer in me
Semper Fi
LoyalSoldier
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by LoyalSoldier »

I haven't played the game, but have viewed some battles on twitch and YouTube.

I love the map and the unit symbols. I also love how the units change facing depending on positioning of enemies and allies. I love how you can see the battle lines form and move around the battlefield. The random turned based system is quirky, but I like it. I think it takes account of potential unit hesitation and the lack of FoW.

Many modern games tend to use images to represent their units. But I think I prefer symbols, or the top down view (like Pike & Shot) for historical battles. But the images are good for games that have a sci-fi/fantasy theme, or it is based on a game that used model (like Warhammer). But that is just an opinion.

One criticism I have heard from some Twitch users is that artillery does too much damage. I don't have an informed opinion on this. But I'd be interested to hear what others think about it, either to justify it or criticise it.

It's just a pity that the game only covers one battle. I hope it's not a one-shot.

I will almost definitely buy this game, when I have time to play it.
LoyalSoldier

Post by LoyalSoldier »

I have bought the game and I really like it.

I find the game easy to play. I love the way the units are represented and how they position themselves. I like the chit pulling system to represent the FoW and the confusion of battle.

My only regret is that we can only play one battle. I would love to see more battles using this system, or even better, a skirmish mode with random maps like in Pike & Shot. Although I doubt a skirmish mode will ever be possible.

I also like the fact you can play someone on the same PC, or even play solitaire, just like in a real board game. Although I am unlikely to use this feature for this battle.

I also like that there are different scenarios, both short and long, that can be played. It allows for a quick fix or a longer campaign.

As has been mentioned, I would like to see more depth to the victory screen and victory conditions. They feel a bit contrived, although for all I know, they may have been well fought out.

In general, a good game that is worth the current price tag.

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”