Initial thoughts/issues

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Initial thoughts/issues

Post by Ironclad »

I've enjoyed playing so far and really like the innovative and straightforward move and conflict system. If it wasn't for the horrendous programming problems which sadly I guess will affect the scope for enhancements this looks like an attractive alternatve for those of us who can't get into realtime games like ultimate general and scourge of war.

The freeze from advance after combat has occurred but in later tries I have been able to get through this. The one campaign game finished so far did so early after the eleventh turn with CSA meeting victory conditions. I assume the game is meant to continue after this point given the usually initial CSA advantage. I was expecting turn 11 to be a night turn but it played no differently than previous turns with no apparent change to the rate of disorganised units being returned to normal. If this is a glitch how is a night turn meant to look - darkened screen, slower movement, no or reduced scope for combat?

The campaign game is shown as 31 turns so do I take it either day 2 or day 3 have less than ten daytime turns each given that at least two night turns are required?

Checking out online - I realise the priorities will be dealing with any bugs or play problems but if enhancements are possible a messaging facility withing the online screens would be useful.
Last edited by Ironclad on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Initial thoughts/issues

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks for the feedback. We're looking at the lockup. We're also tweaking some of the MP start up sequence to make it clearer but I'm sure there will be further improvements once we get more of you trying it.

I'm not an expert on the rules so I'll need to wait for someone who knows more to respond on that part! David is sadly on holiday this week (booked long before the release date was set) and he is most knowledgeable so we are looking forwards to getting him back next week!
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

Some issues....

Plenty of Confederate troops seems to start at wrong reinforcement hex and move very strange during their first move.

Computer cant handle rebuilt brigades (formerly shattered) from a completely wiped formation. Example. US Cav lost all units, brigades reformed at nighttime and didnt seem to place themselves but I could click COMMIT for the AI (I shouldn't been able to do that) and get it to continue. However, during next turn as it the US Cav Chit was drawn the game froze as Computer AI for an eternity tried to find and move units that wasn't on map.

That we don't have FoW is a real bummer and frankly impossible to understand from a game experience point of view and a game coding point of view. If AI cant handle it, cheat it!

AI is very poor at defending the objective hexes.

AI decide (every turn, i.e. including night turns) to move almost every unit that has an excellent position for regaining strength point.

AI as Confederate push in a really stupid way that makes all brigades to shatter instead of rotating division to attack ==> always US win at first night due to endless more VP.

Lots of other issues exist and all above is so easily seen that I don't believe Slitherine did any quality checking. I remember spending up to a year on most SSG titles (alpha, beta, etc...) testing for all kind of silly bugs and also help improving AI. I doubt any quality testing group has been involved in this project.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

Could we have an option of not using the objective hexes as part of victory condition?
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pzgndr »

FOW for enemy units out of LOS should be an option in this PC game. An option to toggle a hex grid on/off would be nice. An option to toggle the in-game hints/tips on/off should be considered. I'd also suggest showing the time (ie, 2pm) instead of turn number at start of each round.

First impressions are pretty good and the visuals are very nice, but I've also had some game freezes. Haven't played enough to assess the AI. Overall the game system is very interesting, and other battles like Antietam and others should work well. Looking forward to an update that fixes the game freeze issue and provides some other improvements. Thanks!
Last edited by pzgndr on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

The freeze has been fixed. We're smoke testing the build now and prepare it for the patch.
Kolbex
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kolbex »

I would like zoom to cursor instead of center of screen, personally.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

I strongly second this request to zoom to the cursor, please. That should be standard in ALL strategy/tactical games like this with a large map.
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pzgndr »

I completed a game with v1.02 today. Got a Union victory at end of Day 2 on easiest difficulty. Overall very nice. One comment about the victory screen is that it doesn't provide any stats about total casualties sustained by each side, VP totals, etc. This would be helpful for assessing gameplay.

A couple more suggestions. When units move, it would be nice to provide more historical info; e.g. instead of "Selected Cutler" say "Selected Cutler 76th N.Y. Infantry Brigade". Give players some immersion. Also, Battle of the Bulge has a "Luck of the Draw" scenario where units are shuffled. Something along these lines could be considered, or possibly just a chance of variable entry +/-1 hour for reinforcement arrivals. Just a thought.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

Every time I click on a reinforcement (I am playing CSA) the game center in the middle of the map and I have to look around to find the unit. It would be easier if it centers on the unit entry hex. Cheers!
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Twinkle wrote:Every time I click on a reinforcement (I am playing CSA) the game center in the middle of the map and I have to look around to find the unit. It would be easier if it centers on the unit entry hex. Cheers!
Done. Will be available in next patch.
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Kolbex wrote:I would like zoom to cursor instead of center of screen, personally.
Done :)
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

I noticed that brigades can return and have 0 strength, i.e. all strength points demoralized.

Lol, and as it moved it suddenly had a strength of 2 (out of 8)... and after it finished its moved it suddenly had a strength of 4. Something strange going on.

And a 2nd edit...

And now GAME FREEZE trying to move US CAV units. I can see the remaining unit (Gamble) guarding an objective but game doesn't manage to move/find unit and keeps trying to do something forever... :cry:
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Aha. Can you send the save file across? Possible i've already fixed it, but it's better to check.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

Where do I find the save game file? I gave it the name saveturn13freeze but I cannot find any file with that name on my computer.
The US Cav is the last thing to move in the turn and it freeze the game even though one of the units is clearly visible on map (Gamble).
Also, how do I send a file to you?
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

It should be in c:\Users\<user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Shenandoah Studio\Gettysburg_ The tide turns\ . You can send it through support@slitherine.co.uk, or you can attach it here in the forum.
Twinkle
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Twinkle »

lol, that included finding some well hidden directories... why not have a save game folder under the game install instead of current situation?

I try to use the Upload File thing here, lets se how it goes.

And it says: The extension wbts is not allowed.

So will try the e-mail option using the following title: Save Game as asked for in forum. saveturn13freeze.wbts

Cheers!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

add the file to a zip extension and that will work
SlickWilhelm
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Nice game, and I'm enjoying myself so far. The map is probably the best thing about the game for me. No other map in all of the various ACW games that I've played has been as clear and concise as to where all the roads, pikes and elevation changes are. Bravo!

One suggestion would be to change the color of the "Hit" font during combat. The font is currently white, and when pops up in the middle of the white smoke, it's hard to read. Also, perhaps make the Union hit font Blue and the Confederacy hit font Red, to make it very easy to see who just got hit.
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

When artillery units are ready to target a window pops up which says "G= Highlight LoS". This seems to work only occasionally. I admit that eligible targets are very clearly identified, so this isn't critical, but I'm wondering if it's a bug.

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”