Disbanding SE infantry units

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

DeMeza
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Disbanding SE infantry units

Post by DeMeza »

So, I restarted the GC. I have already received 2 x SE Inf units, and disbanded them to fill up with tank units instead.

But I have just now received a 3rd SE Inf unit. Should I keep disbanding to get the tank units? Or do they come later in the GC?
JagdpanzerIV
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Disbanding SE infantry units

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

not sure, but i think SE units comes randomly?
Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

SE units are awarded randomly. The lead scenario briefing of each campaign tells how many SE units may be held in your core and the experience limit for that campaign. For example, GC 39 has an SE limit of 2 and unit experience limit of 225. Tanks will not become available as SE units until the Panzer IIIF becomes available. I typically use the SE infantry units until the Panzer IIIF becomes available because it allows you to deploy two extra units per scenario. Once the Panzer IIIF becomes available I disband one unit and wait to be awarded my first SE tank before disbanding the second. Hope this helps.
DeMeza

Post by DeMeza »

Thank you Buffalo - I didn't know that tank units only became available with Pz IIIF :wink:
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

I would strongly recommend to disband ALL se infantry units after se tank units become available as: SE units dont count towards the 'soft cap' so as you get towards the second half of the grand campaign getting stronger and more expensive tanks the only way to keep accumulating enough prestige is with all your se units as tanks:
soft cap threshold; 400 per unit
infantry value towards end inc transport: 300 ish i.e. well under soft cap
normal king tiger value 990!
value under ' soft cap' of 6 SE (only) tigers/king tigers = 0
Its the only way to get through those tougher missions in gc 43/44/45, with some experienced 2/3 star big SE tanks.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

hugh2711 wrote:I would strongly recommend to disband ALL se infantry units after se tank units become available as: SE units dont count towards the 'soft cap'
Or disable soft cap and have fun with a wider range of SE units.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

captainjack wrote:
hugh2711 wrote:I would strongly recommend to disband ALL se infantry units after se tank units become available as: SE units dont count towards the 'soft cap'
Or disable soft cap and have fun with a wider range of SE units.
and we disable soft cap how?
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Edit gamesrules file to set Softcap off (after making backup etc). This is best done for each DLC folder to be sure it works as DLC settings usually overrule main folder settings of Gamesrules. The advantage of this is that it doesn't require GME. You can check it's working as the prestige tooltip won't show a percentage reading, just the current prestige and per turn for the scenario.

If needed, using the prestige slider (in the difficulty settings) allows you to decrease prestige income to compensate for lack of soft cap. I find personal challenges (such as limiting prestige, restricting number of upgrades and overstrength per scenario or not going above some maximum strength) are more fun to create and follow than soft cap.

Plan B is to download Nikki's Softcap off mod, which is activated through GME. I have used this successfully but GME is sometimes a bit sensitive to other mods and sequence of activation which is why I now use an edited file as above.

Plan C, put the prestige slider up a bit, to compensate for soft cap.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

thanks
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

I actually enjoy playing with the softcap. I think it models the ridiculous imbalance of industrial production on the two sides very well and also it makes you try more clever things not always using the most expensive unit for everything making the game less predictable.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

hugh2711 wrote:I actually enjoy playing with the softcap.
Nothing wrong with that.
I think the broad concept (to discourage use of nothing but fully overstrengthed most powerful units) is reasonable.
Unfortunately soft cap is not optional (unless you fiddle with games files), works the same for all difficulty levels, devalues SE infantry and Tac bombers, cuts in too soon and is over-complicated, though the tooltip introduced in 1.3 at least shows what is happening.

As a former figure gamer, I'd have been much happier with the well-tried cap on maximum units deployed and on total cost. It reduces the steamroller effect and is easier to follow. In the absence of that, I prefer meeting the objectives through existing controls - increasing cost of overstrength, out of series upgrade penalties, standard and custom difficulty settings - along with personal challenges - which I can see and understand in full.

As to realism, US Corps applies Soft Cap to one of the best resourced (though maybe not always best-equipped) armies.

Anyway, just because I don't like Soft cap doesn't mean that nobody else should. I'm more interested in looking at interesting alternatives for those who don't like Soft Cap than in converting those that do.

Return to “Panzer Corps”