Blitzkrieg 1939-40

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Blitzkrieg 1939-40

Post by prattaa »

Hi Erik, I dl'd v3.8 but Sedan is still at 18 turns. Also, currently there seems to be no way to go the Maubeuge - Calais path in the France campaign. I was going to ask about that in v3.7 as after Sedan the campaign screen said Stonne but the battle was Maubeuge. Seems like v3.8 sends you to Stonne no matter what.

Maubeuge v3.7: Good as is but could be 20 turns. The secondary objective to destroy allied armour for 10 bonus land command points would happen too late in the battle to be of any assistance to the player.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I tried to get branching to work after Sedan, so there's a left-over test in the data.cmp file.
I've changed it so that a draw and minor victory will take you to Maubeuge and a major victory to Stonne.

Added more turns to Stonne and Maubeuge

Campaign updated.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Arras: I thought this scenario was mostly good as is. One thing was the defend Lille objective never completed so even though I completed all objectives I got a draw. There seems to be a recurring problem with defensive scenarios with the one objective not completing. Would it be possible to look at Guandong from Morning Sun to see how the defense objectives are triggered for that scenaro?

Only other note on Arras was there was a Renault tank unit in the woods just north of Auby that appears to not have any orders. It never moved the entire scenario.
offenseman
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by offenseman »

Great series here, enjoying it a lot. One question, in Sealion, Brighton scenario: To get the airfields fixed so they can be used, there has to be no enemy units within two hexes, no friendlies in airfield hex. I've got all that and do not get the construction group to build the airstrip. Any ideas? Surely I have missed something simple.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

prattaa wrote:Arras: I thought this scenario was mostly good as is. One thing was the defend Lille objective never completed so even though I completed all objectives I got a draw. There seems to be a recurring problem with defensive scenarios with the one objective not completing. Would it be possible to look at Guandong from Morning Sun to see how the defense objectives are triggered for that scenaro?

Only other note on Arras was there was a Renault tank unit in the woods just north of Auby that appears to not have any orders. It never moved the entire scenario.
Fixed the Renault.
Not sure why defensive objectives with the scenario-end condition are not working correctly. The Guandong uses campaign and scenario variables (completely different triggers) and I'm not able to read the designer's mind :roll:
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

offenseman wrote:Great series here, enjoying it a lot. One question, in Sealion, Brighton scenario: To get the airfields fixed so they can be used, there has to be no enemy units within two hexes, no friendlies in airfield hex. I've got all that and do not get the construction group to build the airstrip. Any ideas? Surely I have missed something simple.

Removed the 2-hex requirements. Here's a link to the updated scenario.
The campaign will be updated after Kriegsmarine has been published.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... ighton.zip
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

Thank you! and thanks for all the work you've done.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Calais I would give one extra turn to make it 20. I had to cheat a turn to get that last allied tank unit for the major victory. I'll try the path starting with Stonne next.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Stonne: I was able to take all objectives on the very last turn. Maybe bump it up to 24 turns. Neither of the secondary objectives provided the promised reward of additional air/land command points.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Wassigny: Scenario is missing an exit point for player units. A Giraud recon unit did not spawn after capturing Wassigny. The mission does not function like the PzC version as the objectives do not change with the capture of Giraud. It is not possible to capture the northwestern most city after Wassigny is captured in the allotted turn limit once the counterattack is triggered. I could get a major victory by avoiding Wassigny until the very end and thus not triggering the counterattack but I think this is not how it is supposed to function.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Wonder if the game's coastal gun is modeled after this Norwegian one?
Looks very similar.
Attachments
coastal gun.jpg
coastal gun.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I'm working on replacing the Norway scenario with separate battles from each of the historical invasion sites.
Oslo and Narvik has been done using the upcoming Kriegsmarine version.

Trondheim was made with v2.99 and is available for testing as a single scenario.
The map is large and very detailed, based on US and British military maps from the 40s and 50s.
The unit count is low and the scenario plays reasonably fast, although the AI has its thinking moments.

Please report back any issues. And have fun :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... 20v1.0.zip
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

My game won´t load Norway-mission.

I used (#igotnukes) in Denmark and it just stalls on the load screen for Norway. The red loadbar doesnt even come on.

Tapping in and out doesn´t work.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

Poor Denmark, gets nuked by so many…
Looks like not every fictional battle is liked by many. :)
nono hard et heavy
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by nono hard et heavy »

Hello Erik. Excuse me for my poor english because i'm french. I play your campaign 39-40 and i have many problems. In the scenario of Denmark, i destroy all Danish units, i captured all the objectives before the end but the result is draw ! What did i miss? Where is my mistake? After finishing i start Norway. You say we have the choice of the scenario : Bergen, Narvik, Oslo, Sola and Trondheim. Please note that scenarios had numbers 11 and Denmark had 12. Only Trondheim work (build units appear to every tour, why?) the others crash. For example, when i run Narvik, the map appears on my screen and the game crash. it's impossible to play it an other one. But congratulations for your work. It's a pleasure for me to play another campaign. I hope for an answer with simple words because, I repeat him, I am French and I have to use a translator. Thanks.
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

Any suggestions to my problem?

I´ve been playing blind, so I can´t go further back and do a couple of "nuke"-wins.

Maybe I´ll just have to play Denmark, but I just can´t seem to find the energy for it. Its very biiiig and hard to keep an overview.
Horst

Post by Horst »

I've tested quickly v4.3 which offers 5 new Norway scenarios. The previous "Norway" scenario has been replaced by these.

Oslo didn’t load for me. I think it crashed in about 4 minutes to desktop, but Erik already reported this in the tech forum about possible out-of-memory issues.
Sola-Kristiansand: still work-in-progress without mission and terrain details.
Bergen: geez, map looks nice but a map-size of like 40x40 hexes would have been enough for that coastal action. Too much unnecessary work there that increases too much loading times and drops performance.
The other Norway maps loaded after a while correctly. Also all scenarios load in the editor at least, so there doesn't seem to be any game file issue.
I suggest playing the Bergen scenario which only has a turn limit of 30, but I haven't played through any of these new Norway ones yet.

If someone has trouble loading or isn't in the mood for any of these scenarios designed by Erik then you can edit the data.cmp file in the Blitzkrieg39-40 folder:
[Warsaw] or [Brest] or [Denmark]
result = -2,-2,12,12,12

After changing the result like above, load either the last save of your Warsaw/Brest/Denmark session or the campaign save afterwards, or do #igotnukes as "Shift + C" cheat during these scenarios to progress straight to Eben-Emael.

About all these giant maps: I would have picked a real map as template of smaller scale (less details) that is similar like the other original PC campaigns. Plenty original PC maps don’t look that great, but at least they are still nicely playable without much performance hassle. There are too many people out there that don’t have the fastest rig on the market who I think would appreciate it too.
And I still don’t think it’s such a fun to play like 50-60 turns on the same map. That isn’t the same flow you have like in the original campaign with exception of the final scenarios, like Berlin and Sea Lion 4. Long is fine for the end, but not for something in between.
I know this feeling from creating some own maps too. When you see the original PC scenarios and compare this to real maps and real battle reports, you are like: "oh my gosh, how could they do this like that?" Then you sit on your ass and want to create something better that quickly consumes more time that you hoped for. Keeping it small and simple has its advantages.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

I think it would be best for both Blitzkrieg campaigns if they remained faithful to PzC. As unhistorical as the Norway & Crete scenarios might be they are fit the campaigns better.
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

I´m not getting any options for Norway. It just tries to load one. Come to think about it, I didn´t get any options at Warsaw either.

I dl from here:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=65107

about a week ago.
Horst

Post by Horst »

WarHomer and others, make sure you have deleted old versions before copying the new latest ones into the campaign folder. I've tested the 39-40 campaign yesterday which more less worked, except crashing Oslo. I read here so often about "Norway". The old "Norway" scenario is normally not playable anymore and was replaced by five single Norway scenarios as a selectable campaign branch: 11Bergen, 11Narvik, 11Oslo (crash), 11Sola (unfinished), and 11Trondheim. If you guys don't see such branch with five rings, then you definitely play an outdated/messed-up campaign version.
If you manage to get a major victory in Warsaw, you may play the Brest scenario. It's possible that Warsaw is still bugged with the artillery secondary that not all destroyed guns are counted. I once reported this some time ago, but I haven't played through the campaign for some time. It's not in my responsibility to fix other's campaigns and can't help if my reports are ignored.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”