flybirda(Axis)vCarlos(Allies)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

duncanr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: flybirda(Axis)vCarlos(Allies)

Post by duncanr »

thats what I mean - Russian attack east of Moscow to threaten/cut off Gorki thrust - Russian airforce is likely not strengthened - too expensive

but lets see
flybird
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by flybird »

T52
On the north side,We move slowly
In the middle, I tried to find a breakthrough in the Golgi direction and send small-scale units to infiltrate Ural
On the south side, we don't have a chance to break through
Vokt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Vokt »

Soviets have way too many garrisons. Don't know if bought on purpose or kept from the beginning of Barbarossa. The fact is that you can't win with garrison units. Soviets have to build as many combatant units as they can in 1941-42. And also, tanks and aircrafts. When playing as Allies, I am usually able to have in 1942 as many as 5 VVS fighter units, 4 tacs and the initial strat. Number of armoured units by that date oscile between 4 and 6. Mechs I usually don't buy since normally you are able to keep at least half of the 10 initial Soviet mechs. With enough firepower gathered and the cover of rivers, you should be able to counterstrike effectively Axis breakthrough attempts, this way starting a war of attrition that in the long term it won't benefit the Axis.
duncanr

Post by duncanr »

I suspect he has built those GAR's to build a line because none of the starting combat ground units survive. The speed of the new attack (lots of long range ground troops) means almost nothing survives Barbarossa. Thats the key issue.

I see opportunities for the Russians so lets see what Carlos can achieve.
Vokt

Post by Vokt »

I see chances on the Soviets either and surely Carlos is waiting for the right time to counterblow. We don't know which are his plans but what it's for sure is that he is hiding his moves well. VVS forces deployment is totally unknown (shots don't show what it's in Baku) but it will be bad for the Russians if they have their air forces split between the Caucasus and the northern forests.

Also, maybe he is waiting for winter to attack. If so, Winter 1942-43 campaign could be guessed as decisive.
flybird

Post by flybird »

T53
Allied invasion of Norway,Our entire north will be threatened
On the East,We captured Gorky and some other cities,not find the Reds in Ural
No fierce fighting in the Caucasus
flybird

Post by flybird »

T54
Our paratroopers dropped into Oslo under the cover of the fighter,Trying to delay the progress of the Allies(But it seems to be a mistake,para no air defense capability,Because of its high experience, it will give the Allies a lot of experience)
On the East,We set up a bridgehead near Gorky and continue to Ural area
flybird

Post by flybird »

T55
Red Army counterattack,Our tanks that across the river were killed and cross the river again
Vokt

Post by Vokt »

Decisive battle is going on in Gorki. Soviets might be able to defeat the exhausted Axis forces there. It could be a turning point. Downside for the Soviets is that, although they are doing well tactically, they are losing so much territory (and PP's).
duncanr

Post by duncanr »

its just so hard to hold any sensible amount of ground when Barbarossa is so fast

which turns into a bit of a cycle as you run out of PP's
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I've puttered a bit w the new version and have scrolled through a couple of the AARs. It seems awfully odd to see so many cavalry corps in the game. I think one AAR had Italian cavalry corps approaching Omsk (or whatever it's called). Seems strange and likely to have damaged the balance in the game, to me. Not sure what the reasoning for them was, but they seem awfully powerful.
duncanr

Post by duncanr »

they just need to be limited :-) like we had to do with Para's!
flybird

Post by flybird »

You look forward to the decisive battle did not erupt,There was no large-scale attack on the Soviet Union before the 42 winter
flybird

Post by flybird »

T56
Near Gorky, we killed a team of tanks,Throughout the summer campaign,We killed a lot of gar and some infantry,But just kill an elite force,This means,In winter there will be big difficulties
Vokt

Post by Vokt »

Honestly, I didn't expect the Soviets retreating from the battle near Gorki. IMO, it wasn't the best move since they lost the good positions they held along the Volga and Oka rivers. Soviet armoured forces have been too passive. Furthermore, to leave that Soviet armoured exposed in the forests wasn't the best move either.
Carlos_Danger

Post by Carlos_Danger »

Morris wrote:really don't understand why Carlos abandon Stalingrad in winter ?
This is my first 4.0 game and it seemed like the Russians lost more units in the Summer of 41 than I was expecting. So I was expecting the Summer of 42 to be even worse! So to save Russian units I decided to abandon Stalingrad in Winter. Implementing the policy of Trading space for saving Russian lives.

But as you can see this allowed the Axis to get deep into the Urals in the Summer of 42 with fast moving German and Italian Calvary and Mech units.

Vokt has a point; if you don't hold the Axis at the Don there are consequences. There are not many defensible spots after the Don to stop the fast moving Axis units from the Urals. What can I do ?

So is it good strategy to give Stalingrad up in the winter. I do not know.
Carlos_Danger

Post by Carlos_Danger »

Vokt wrote:Honestly, I didn't expect the Soviets retreating from the battle near Gorki. IMO, it wasn't the best move since they lost the good positions they held along the Volga and Oka rivers. Soviet armoured forces have been too passive. Furthermore, to leave that Soviet armoured exposed in the forests wasn't the best move either.

Battle at Gorki

The first time the Axis crossed the Oka river at Gorki, the Axis sent one German Tank across. The Soviets promptly killed the German Tank. The second time the Germans cross the Oka river at Gorki, Flybird was pretty clever ! and he sent three units across; the two lead units were an Italian Tank and an Italian Mech, which protected a German Calvary unit.

Then it was decision time for the Russian, do the Russian's attack and expose their Tanks and Mech to kill Italians crossing the river? I can also see German SS Mech and regular German Mech on the other side of the river behind the lead river crossing force. And God only knows how many TACs the Germans have ready to hit the good Russian units at this Gorki Battle.

I decided to retreat my Tanks and Mech, rather than kill Italians. If it would have been good Germans units crossing the river it probably would of been a different story, but I didn't want to let the good German units get the first shot at the Russian good units so I retreated.

Also, I would have to agree that the Russian Tanks have been too quiet in this game, but I am trying my best!
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Carlos_Danger wrote:
Morris wrote:really don't understand why Carlos abandon Stalingrad in winter ?
This is my first 4.0 game and it seemed like the Russians lost more units in the Summer of 41 than I was expecting. So I was expecting the Summer of 42 to be even worse! So to save Russian units I decided to abandon Stalingrad in Winter. Implementing the policy of Trading space for saving Russian lives.

But as you can see this allowed the Axis to get deep into the Urals in the Summer of 42 with fast moving German and Italian Calvary and Mech units.

Vokt has a point; if you don't hold the Axis at the Don there are consequences. There are not many defensible spots after the Don to stop the fast moving Axis units from the Urals. What can I do ?

So is it good strategy to give Stalingrad up in the winter. I do not know.
I do understand your situation . But afull entrenchment corp in Stalingrad would at least cost Axis some oil & pp & human resource & maybe slow down their speed a little . It would cost USSR only 35pp. It should be a good business . :) Anyway it won't change the general situation .....
flybird

Post by flybird »

Carlos_Danger wrote:
Vokt wrote:Honestly, I didn't expect the Soviets retreating from the battle near Gorki. IMO, it wasn't the best move since they lost the good positions they held along the Volga and Oka rivers. Soviet armoured forces have been too passive. Furthermore, to leave that Soviet armoured exposed in the forests wasn't the best move either.

Battle at Gorki

The first time the Axis crossed the Oka river at Gorki, the Axis sent one German Tank across. The Soviets promptly killed the German Tank. The second time the Germans cross the Oka river at Gorki, Flybird was pretty clever ! and he sent three units across; the two lead units were an Italian Tank and an Italian Mech, which protected a German Calvary unit.

Then it was decision time for the Russian, do the Russian's attack and expose their Tanks and Mech to kill Italians crossing the river? I can also see German SS Mech and regular German Mech on the other side of the river behind the lead river crossing force. And God only knows how many TACs the Germans have ready to hit the good Russian units at this Gorki Battle.

I decided to retreat my Tanks and Mech, rather than kill Italians. If it would have been good Germans units crossing the river it probably would of been a different story, but I didn't want to let the good German units get the first shot at the Russian good units so I retreated.

Also, I would have to agree that the Russian Tanks have been too quiet in this game, but I am trying my best!
I prefer Carlos's approach,In 42, the Soviet Union needed to survive, not to fight back.More of the Soviet Union's units survive In order to let Germany have scruples
flybird

Post by flybird »

T57
Allied touch Oslo,Looks like we're going to lose Norway soon

Near mototov, our Italy cavalry is surrounded,But we saved him at once,Summer is coming to an end, we slow down the offensive

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”