Supporting the Original Field of Glory

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Supporting the Original Field of Glory

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys,

We can see from the feedback that a large number of you are unhappy with the Unity version of Field of Glory and wanted to give you a bit more information. The reason the Unity project came about was that the developer had moved on and we had no way to update or fix anything in the original. We can’t add expansions, we can’t do anything. As a result we decided to pass it on to a new developer, Newrosoft, who decided it was better to write the game from scratch in Unity than to try and maintain the original code which was in Real basic. Dan at Newrosoft was a player of Field of Glory and a big fan so was the perfect fit to carry the flag. As a result there is no shared code between the two versions, it’s in development terms a completely new project. The assets are all exactly the same but depending on scaling and compression there may be some difference between how they appear. As the code is all new things function in different ways so there is a certain amount of stuff to relearn but there are also something that are clearly missing from the Unity version that need to be added.

While Newrosoft continue to work on resolving these issues we think the best thing to do is to allow you all to continue playing the Original version if you prefer. We will continue to maintain the PBEM server indefinitely. We have added the Original version to the members area so you can re-download it or if you are new user just download it, once you have registered your serial. We have marked all the downloads as clearly as possible so you can tell the New Unity version from the Original version.

Just to be clear you can have both the New Unity version and the Original version installed on the same PC. They are compatible with each other.

You can download the Original installers, its patches and all of the Original expansion installers here:
http://www.slitherine.com/members

As these are old files you should install in the following order on PC:
• Field of Glory 1.5.0
• All expansions in any order
• Field of Glory patch 1.8.1 must be installed last. If you do things in the wrong order don’t worry. You can just install the patch 1.8.1 again at the end to be safe and this will resolve any issues. As long as the last thing you install is 1.8.1 it will be fine.

On Mac you just need the 1.8.1 dmg file and you unlock the expansions in game.

Because we are unable to change the original version of the game we cannot add the new DLC’s to it. We have modified the product pages for both new DLC’s to make it clear these are only compatible with the new Unity version and link to the forum where this is being discussed so new customers will be aware of the current issues and not be surprised about what they are getting.

In addition, as a gesture of goodwill, everyone who has already bought an expansion before we updated this information will be receiving a $10 discount coupon for the store. If you bought both you’ll be receiving 2 coupons. This will let you instead buy a different expansion that is compatible with the original version or something else entirely from the store.

We’re very sorry if you are unhappy with the new version. We want you to continue to enjoy the game and will do everything we can to support this. Dan is committed to improving the game and we are working with him to compile a list of issues with priorities.

The Slitherine Team
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Supporting the Original Field of Glory

Post by FroBodine »

Well done, Iain. Huzzah!

I look forward to all the improvements to the new Unity version in the (hopefully) very near future, to bring it up to, and surpass, the quality of the original.
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

Thanks, Ian, that is really welcome news, and really good of you.

Very much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Mike
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

Yes! Thanks a lot, that's really, really appreciated. :) Just wonder why making too efforts on the unity version if a brand new FoG is "scheduled" for the next year (yes, I know... next year seems quite optimistic) :wink:
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

Thank you very much to let us keep the possibility to download the original version.

While it sounds like a minor issue at first, I think it should be high prioritiy to make an updated maual for the new game.
Only if we have a manual with rules, detailed info, mechanism and explanation we can test the new version to see if everything is working as intended and thus support the new product.
For me as a new player most confusion is about the outdated manual and rules and I have no idea what to report, what is wrong what is good because I never know what is intended and what is a bug.
The only reference now is the original manual for (another) game. (If English was my motherlanguage I was helping with it, sorry I can't).

While you stated that you use the same assets (the dev confirmed this a while ago as well) the quaility of assets ingame is not good. It's pixelated. The original version is smooth.
I'm almost 100 % sure that the pixelated graphics are caused by engine settings. It happens to me before that games shows very pixelated graphics just because some anti aliasing settings or filtering/rendering settings are not applied well in the new engine (for example the first part of the EA for the game Sovreignty the graphics where very pixelated, but somehow the team managed to change some settings and the game is VERY smooth now). I hope this is possible to achieve with the new FOG as well. At least the broken textures on AMD cards (and some nvidia cards as well I read in the forum) should be repaired.

Or maybe you use lower resolution images in the new version. (Original is 350 MB and every DLC is another 300 MB), the new version is only 99 MB in total.

The new engine is at least stable, future proof (possible Steam release, tablet ready etc) so I think in the end everyone will profit from the new game.

Do we get the coupons automaticlly when we bought the DLC on release day or do we need to contact support for it? [edit] received the coupons already by mail. Thank you.
Last edited by Cablenexus on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 »

You guys didn't have to give me $10 since all I want is the assurance that the new FoG is not and will not be abandoned and will continually be worked on and patches will be released to solve the major issues at a reasonable time period. But oh well, $10 bucks is $10 bucks and I greatly appreciate it. I would have to say that despite the issues, I actually loved some of the new DAG related stuff in the new FoG. I reckon that if the AI could have been improved, 2 new expansions released for old version and the ability to battle your custom armies in DAG battles then I would stick with the old FoG. Anyway, thank you very much, guys.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

FoG Unity was intended to be a ~4 month project ~4 years ago. It was intended to release in 2013. FoG 2 was intended to be years later. Hope that clarifies the thinking.
Steiner37
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Steiner37 »

Well done!, I will keep my support on new version while enjoying older one.
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Good news, indeed :). Thanks Ian.
So just to be clear: from the old version of FOG, i miss just two packs. So now i can buy them once, and install them to both edition. Right?
For Byzantium!!
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

NikiforosFokas wrote:Good news, indeed :). Thanks Ian.
So just to be clear: from the old version of FOG, i miss just two packs. So now i can buy them once, and install them to both edition. Right?
Yes, except the two newest DLC's, they only work in the new version.
Searoom

Post by Searoom »

Thank you Ian and Slitherine.
I will continue to enjoy the original and look forward to enjoying later versions.
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Iain: This is very much appreciated. I will be continuing to play old version until the major issues are resolved. However, I am really looking forward to the new version and all its expansions and features.

I would also second CableNexus' request for a new and improved manual once major gameplay issues have been resolved, especially since the Wikispace (which for me was vital to understanding the game and learning to play and actually enjoy it) has been taken down when the subscription expired.

CableNexus: for now, refer to the archived Wikispace here: http://web.archive.org/web/201204230607 ... paces.com/.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
bloodphoenix
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by bloodphoenix »

Well done. This is a responsible and gracious response to the situation.
I have one question:

"In addition, as a gesture of goodwill, everyone who has already bought an expansion will be receiving a $10 discount coupon for the store. If you bought both you’ll be receiving 2 coupons. This will let you instead buy a different expansion that is compatible with the original version or something else entirely from the store."

I already own the original version and all expansions. I planned to purchase and download the two new ones immediately upon learning they were out, with the full understanding that they only function with Unity. My purchase was delayed only because I encountered some problems with the download of the UNITY engine (though its installed fine now). After eagerly opening it and playing my first test game, I can see that some patching and continued development is going to be necessary. I'm uncertain whether to purchase the expansions now, or wait until some of the bugs have been addressed. But my decision is in part influenced by the feeling that buying them now might help to fund the work that needs to be done on getting the new game engine up to speed. I do want to support that work. I'm not at the level of disappointment some long-time players are, where I want a refund of the $0.00 I spent on Unity. But I'm also unclear on how you are handling this coupon offer...was that only for those who had already purchased the expansions, and possibly also had paid full price for the base game, having not owned the original?
Alwaysdime
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Alwaysdime »

Here is what I don't get. How did all these bugs make it into the release? Any QA team should have caught the majority of the issues. From my observation, and this isn't just you but too many publishers are deciding to cut the budget by cutting on their QA staff and then are surprised when games get negative reviews and are hammered by that in the future. I also don't get how the average gamer doesn't mind waiting a few months for a solid product because they assume it will have bugs. Imagine if a car company released a design where the transmission skipped 2nd gear or where gas was shown as full rather than half empty but promised to fix it in the future. Consumers would be livid.

To say this was supposed to be a 4 month project and it took 4 years, ok. You should have planned on a 6 month project and had 2 months of QA in there. If you had invested in QA you wouldn't be giving things away for free and wouldn't be risking your reputation as a publisher/dev studio. Instead corners are cut, dollars are saved and here we are. And while we are at it, didn't questions about the design, UI, and such get brought up in requirement reviews? Was this really handed off to a lone developer to come up with things on the fly?

Let me give a disclaimer here, I do QA for a living, thankfully not with games but I really do get shocked at times how some publishers don't care if a product is tested. Now I am not saying your one of the "bad" publishers at all but you do have your moments. Thankfully you also have great moments with titles such as Command, Campaign series, Gary Grisby titles and a few others. Any way my rant is over. I am glad you have acknowledged the mistakes but I really do want to urge you and all developers/publishers to test their products. You are capable. Look at Campaign Series Middle East where you have posts about automation testing the various elements. That really should be standard with everything you release. Sorry, my QA rant really is over now. Now its back to the middle east.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

While we do have limited QA internally the kind of QA you are suggesting so is prohibitively expensive as the games are so complex. This was also not a new game (more like a patch) so didn't have significant resources allocated to it. It would cost more to QA a game like this than many AAA releases and its also almost impossible to find anyone in QA who understand the game enough to do meaningful testing. In the past when we tried we got meaningless feedback from professional QA. The cost of full professional testing would exceed all the revenue it ever generated. We have to rely on the community for beta testing or these games would just not exist. In this situation there was very limited interest in the beta versions and so many issues went unreported or there was not enough feedback to generated agreement on a course of action. We only run these kind of QA programs on completed games, after they are released and tested and balanced on PC and then porting to a console device. Even then with this very limited specific test role the budgets run in to tens of thousands per game and we only take the simple games to console.
mkjhartmann
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mkjhartmann »

Ian,

thank you for the professional approach taken by Slitherine to this issue. I sense frustration on your part, and after 4 years, cannot blame you.

Interesting post about the cost of third party QA, and how it has to be handled in niche software projects. A very interesting read, and quite uncommon and refreshing to get such honest and open information.

Mike
NikiforosFokas

Post by NikiforosFokas »

IainMcNeil wrote:
You can download the Original installers, its patches and all of the Original expansion installers here:
http://www.slitherine.com/members
LT.exe is not downloading :cry:
For Byzantium!!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

NikiforosFokas wrote:
LT.exe is not downloading :cry:
I'm sorry, you have to be more clear. Can you please explain what's not downloading?
vyshka

Post by vyshka »

When you switched the Slitherin site to the new store, did you not retain information about games people had purchased? I was going to try the Unity version, but none of my Field of Glory stuff shows up.
notjustdon
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by notjustdon »

Hi Vyshka,

Once you have insalled the new version of FOG, you need to start the game and then it will ask for you to re-register the expansions that you have bought previously using your key numbers that you were given when you bought the expansions as the new game won't recognize them on your pc.
By the way don't delete the old game as the new one is still not 100%.

Hope that helps
notjustdon

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”