What I finally ended up going with....nice and vanilla (pic)

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: What I finally ended up going with....nice and vanilla (

Post by KendallB »

One way of getting a skilled CC is:

Skilled CC

Skilled DC
Small AV guard line
Large AV line (grenadiers)
Small AD line
Small AD horse artillery

Competent DC
3 small AD line
Small AD medium artillery

Competent DC
2 small SV shock heavy cavalry
Large AV light cavalry + officer attachment

ACV = 24 (same as before)

Leaves you with 14 points to spend on artillery attachment (great for large infantry or one cuirassier) or a skirmish and cavalry attachment. I'd go for the artillery and not bother about the left over 4 points.

The skilled DC can brigade group veterans to close up quickly on attack and will work with the cuirassiers. The cuirassiers and grenadiers all ignore a hit when charging - that soaks up 6 firing dice on average. Veteran infantry will do a combined arms attack much easier. Odds on that the two infantry and cuirassier units charging 4 enemy will waver or even destroy them. You will have to make sure your first attack will waver or destroy 8 ACV of the enemy. It should put most armies close to 30% losses. The horse artillery is the to keep up with the infantry. The drilled infantry provides flank support for the guard and the grenadiers should be in deep formation.

The line infantry division is there to secure a flank of the assault. The light cavalry with an officer can act like a mini division.

It's pretty one-shot but that seems to be the way you like it!
CutEmUp
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by CutEmUp »

Negative, shock cavalry must be in own division.....I could do this and just make a vanguard division

CC

Vanguard - Skilled DC
Guard
Light Infantry
Large Vet Chevauleger
Field Artillery

Main body
4x Line Infantry

Shock division
Cuirassiers
GDC
Horse Artillery

2x Artillery Attachments
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

You might be right about that artillery allocation though, the flank guard might need that artillery + it will slow down my attack, so perhaps the horse arty should plug into the vanguard and the artillery attachments can go with the chevauleger and zastrows
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

There was a clarification about what "their own division" means somewhere on the forum (good luck finding it though).

Basically means the heavies need to be in the same division. Doesn't mean anything else can't be in the division. It's similar to the restrictions for French Imperial Guard.

Don't underestimate the power of a large veteran line unit!
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

Well heck, if that's the case, lets just throw all the beef in the Van. Have a shock force and the rest protects it

Skilled CC

Skilled Commander
Light Infantry
Lieb Grenadier Garde
Cuirassiers
Garde du Corps
Horse Artillery (+ attachment)

Competent Commander
Infantry
Infantry
Infantry
Infantry
Field Artillery (+) Attachment

Competent Commander
Vet Chevaulegers
Vet Chevaulegers

I know you're gonna tell me put the attachments somewhere else, but I don't like them aesthetically in small units
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Not sure if you can make mixed divisions with heavies, aside from Austria 1805 list in which case it is almost mandatory, usually its light horse or maybe a Dragoon unit in mixed divisions.
As for their own division in this case I believe it does mean only heavies in the heavy division, seems to be the norm when looking at orbats. I think the Guard exception was made since you can't actually make a Guard army at 800 points in the list so they had to open it up to be playable. I may be mistaken but I believe thats how it works.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Many lists don't restrict mixed divisions. Examples: French Allies 1805-07, French Italy 1805, Saxons 1809 and 1812. The list usually says, "a mixed division may be used." No specifications or restrictions unlike most French lists!!!!!

Some have an additional point stating that cuirassiers or such need to be in their own division if a cavalry division is formed.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

I'm talking mostly Austria and Russian armies, those are the two armies I run. Like I said not so sure on if it was ok to throw heavies into a mixed division or not.

Return to “Army Design”