The August Tournament Ready for Signup

Fans of Legions of Steel - a boardgame designed by Clark Browning, Marco Pecota and Derrick Villeneuve – will be happy to know that the French developers from Studio Nyx have revived the eternal war between the Empire of the Machines and the factions from the Milky Way.
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

We have set up a new tournament, which will have a more relaxed place than our release-day one.

You can find it and sign up to it after logging in with your Slitherine account here: http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments

It will start on Saturday morning, and will have weekly rounds, meaning players will have almost 3 days on their "chess clocks" - should be enough to comfortably finish a game.

The automated tournament system is quite new in it current form (its predecessor was used for Field of Glory games), so we are still looking to establish the best tournament setups for the players.

So please join and let us know what you think of the structure, and the timing of the rounds.

And for the bragging rights of winning the August Tournament, of course. ;)
Ranger33
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: The August Tournament Ready for Signup

Post by Ranger33 »

So, how does this work exactly, will the game just appear in my game list on Saturday? Pretty cool!

I assume iPad and PC versions both work for this?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Yes, both correct: the games will just appear in your lobby, with a little trophy-sign indicating they are tournament games.

And both PC and iPad versions work for it of course.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Very nice, can't wait to see this system expanded to other games.

Now to play LoS some more so I don't get completely steamrolled. Only mostly steamrolled.
UngrinIronson

Post by UngrinIronson »

Hello am part of the Tournament and love the game. Have been playing multiplayer for a couple of weeks now and enjoy taking a turn or two a day. Bit gutted (disappointed) with the tournament so far as there was no clear description of how it works. Figured it out after the first round with the amount of time we had to play and how two games were on each round which is great. Lost the first round due to running out of time on my turn, i had been waiting a few days for my turn! I won the second round, both games, i think because my opponent pulled out/forfeited. I was again waiting days for each turn.Anyway bullet point suggestions.

-Time limits on how long each person can take for a turn. (this is to avoid exploitation by someone handing over a turn close to finish time of the tournement)

-Once the time limit is reached that person forfeits there turn and the game continues (this gives you a chance to make a come back but obviously places you at a disadvantage)

I would suggest this only for tournements as a time commitment is expected by putting yourself forward.
TomBombadil711
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by TomBombadil711 »

UngrinIronson wrote:Hello am part of the Tournament and love the game. Have been playing multiplayer for a couple of weeks now and enjoy taking a turn or two a day. Bit gutted (disappointed) with the tournament so far as there was no clear description of how it works. Figured it out after the first round with the amount of time we had to play and how two games were on each round which is great. Lost the first round due to running out of time on my turn, i had been waiting a few days for my turn! I won the second round, both games, i think because my opponent pulled out/forfeited. I was again waiting days for each turn.Anyway bullet point suggestions.

-Time limits on how long each person can take for a turn. (this is to avoid exploitation by someone handing over a turn close to finish time of the tournement)

-Once the time limit is reached that person forfeits there turn and the game continues (this gives you a chance to make a come back but obviously places you at a disadvantage)

I would suggest this only for tournements as a time commitment is expected by putting yourself forward.
I was your opponent in round 2 and I did not pull out or forfeited the games. Was wondering why I lost both games after only 2 turns. I do not think it was because of time running out but thought I must have probably missed something. It leaves me a little bit puzzled.
Infranite

Post by Infranite »

My understanding is that it's a chess clock: We each have 72 hours to play all of our turns. Time stops when we hand over the turn to our opponent and resumes when they hand it back. So, for example round 2 my opponent ran out of time while I still had 68 hours on my clock (because I was shooting back turns immediately).
UngrinIronson

Post by UngrinIronson »

That sounds good to me but how do you know how much time you and your opponent have left?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

You can see how much time you have left in the lobby under each tournament game of yours
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

It seems I need further explanation regarding the time we have to play our turns. Round 3 started on August 8th. I played my turn the same day and time left shows 57:37:25. My opponent did not play any turn so far and the time left on my 2nd game shows 67:12:00. Why when I would expect 72 hours to be available to play?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

TomBombadil711 wrote:It seems I need further explanation regarding the time we have to play our turns. Round 3 started on August 8th. I played my turn the same day and time left shows 57:37:25. My opponent did not play any turn so far and the time left on my 2nd game shows 67:12:00. Why when I would expect 72 hours to be available to play?
If I remember correctly the formula, each player will get 40% of the total round time on his "chess clock" for each match.
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

That's ridiculous, both games won with only one turn played by me. :|
mirabellebenou
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by mirabellebenou »

Maybe because your oppoment did not play its own turn and so, the 72 hours timer had expire ?
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

Great, I have won both games of round 4 by playing just one turn. I guess the tournament is over now? Would appreciate confirmation of the end so I may uninstall the game.
Infranite

Post by Infranite »

I'm still duking it out in round 4... sorry you got a bum opponent, but that's no reason to hang it up on the community :)

Return to “Legions of Steel”