Welcome to the Hell Editor

Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Welcome to the Hell Editor

Post by zakblood »

First welcome to the Hell forum, and now a simple guide to the editor, with pictures...

A more in depth one will or may follow when the real editor manual is released.... (watch the announcements for more information on that)

As a beta tester of the game i thought I'd share what little knowledge i have of the editor as it's a hidden and not too often talked about part of the game, as i have had more experience of it than most on day one of the release :mrgreen: , been using it for a while now tbh, and still are next to useless with it atm, so sorry developers for that :oops: being good at some things don't make you a expert at everything, far from it :roll: :wink:

When i say simple, i mean me and not the editor that's simple :roll: :wink: which is more than the sum of it's combined parts :P

This is an unofficial guide btw as I'm only a member like yourself so might not be 100% correct and isn't endorsed or will be supported either by the forum or makers / developers, so is released as it is here... the editor is official and is supported but my thread and comments and picture aren't so may change or get edited or deleted altogether, but can't really do anything wrong or real damage apart from,

A, make you lose sleep (using the editor to much may make you forget you need it) :twisted:

B, give you duplicate data in your game folder (that's life, live with it, or don't do it :roll: )

C, lead to boldness when you scratch your head too much, (when you can't follow the guides as the teacher is rubbish or the pupil isn't up to the task) :twisted:

So here we begin, long long ago, in a dark hole, far far away, no that can't right, there are no hobbit's in Hell :twisted:
Duncan.jpg
Duncan.jpg (215.23 KiB) Viewed 12376 times
Once upon a time, not more than 5 minutes a go....

No that can't be right either, wrong story :wink: anyway i move on........ as Duncan wanders off to pray at the light of the eternal flame, by his much beloved church and gardens, he puts down his battle hammer and tends to his shrubs and borders...... what's this, gardening weekly :?:

Read this first i make no guarantee that doing this will either make your game last longer or give you more fun, what it could do it spoil the campaign altogether and to make it too easy or hard or totally break it if you do it wrong, follow the guide may alter or ruin your game experience and you may if you do it wrong have to wipe / un install the game and reinstall it, so back up your game download exe and keep a copy of the SN that came with the email....

This can't do anything to your pc, if you break that, then you really need a pc operating system lesson and i don't no longer do those :shock:

The game is plenty long enough and already fun as it is, the editor gives you and others the chance if you wish, to alter it, mod it or expand on it with the campaigns already done in the game....

Doing any of what is explained in this thread you do at your own risk, and nobody here but yourself is too blame if you do it wrong, so don't come looking for me :shock: :roll: :lol:

PS: also i don't give advice on editor use as I'm no expert either, I'm a basic beginner at best, next to useless with it at worst most day, I'm learning still... and Yes it will work with the steam version as it's the same game, just the folder positions will be different so they will / would need to be altered, but if you can use a editor, then I'm sure you can work that all out yourself :wink:
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:40 am, edited 18 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Welcome to the Hell Editor

Post by zakblood »

First go to the game folder and drive where you installed the game, default location etc

Mine is on the C drive, your's may be different, so keep up and change to suit :twisted:

You get the real and correct one from right clicking your shortcut and copying the one in there , if your not 100% sure (that's the only tip o/s wise I'm giving) :lol:

C:\Slitherine\Hell etc etc, you get the picture
c drive for me.jpg
c drive for me.jpg (158.07 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
Here is one if you don't :roll:

Go into the campaign folder and copy which one you want to edit or alter, i'll copy the lot, eg: both folders
copy.png
copy.png (30.34 KiB) Viewed 12391 times
then place the copied folders into your documents folder as shown below
paste.jpg
paste.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
First play the game, enjoy it, try and win it, play as many times as you have the time, then and only then play with the editor :twisted:

Altering things in the editor can or could alter the game and make it unstable if you alter too much or add to much, and yes I've tried and it can slow the whole game down depending on your pc spec and graphics card etc etc :lol: but was worth it 8)

Having a load of horned demons in a mission where there shouldn't be any, can make it a bit one sided, but it's your game, play it how you like :twisted:
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:09 am, edited 12 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Then next time your in the game, use the editor button, with the editor button used you will see more folders names, for me go back into your documents folder and rename them to what ever they are called but put a 1 behind the name (or like me i called them 2 now , then at least you know what's the games default ones and the one your editing etc in the list that shows up, you'll see later what i mean, hopefully :roll: :lol: or not as the case may be, seems not if you look at my last picture :lol: they are still dupes even though i called them differently, ah well what do i know anyway, it's early and I'm learning still :roll: :wink:
edit view.jpg
edit view.jpg (143.35 KiB) Viewed 12383 times
I picked / selected defenders this time, in the screen shot, you pick any you want :roll: :wink:

This is where you need to keep up, renaming the campaigns is your choice of names, just don't leave them the default names or you will have 2 eg dupes and then won't know which one is real and which one is the edited one :shock: :lol:

this is what the editor is for :idea:

Now edit and amend what ever you like and enjoy it your way, not how it was meant to be played, the editor is the best part of any game :!: (or can be if you want to use it or like altering stuff) as it gives you the chance and choice to play how you want to play it... but is like i said above really only to be used after you have at least played it through once, or twice :roll: :wink:

not enough troops?

No problem add some more...

not enough points to spend in battle?

No problem add some more...

find a monster to tough?

No problem take him out with placing something next to him :twisted: :lol:

Etc you get the picture, or not :shock: :wink:
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:16 am, edited 10 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

As mission whatever, of the Order or Demon campaign for that matter was maybe playing too hard, and you maybe want to make it a bit easier, no problem, fire up the editor and play away
folder view.jpg
folder view.jpg (170.33 KiB) Viewed 12386 times
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Let the fun begin, please use responsible, and this is for testing or learning purposes only and to show you, not to give false AAR reports in here, making it look like you did the whole mission with one unit with a broom against 10 Horned Demons and just got a scratch, use it to make your own maps or see how they make theirs and learn
castle.jpg
castle.jpg (232.16 KiB) Viewed 12386 times
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Now who's naughty :shock: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Yes i am, are you :idea:
castle 2.jpg
castle 2.jpg (246.87 KiB) Viewed 12386 times
As you can clearly see I've made a few changes from the default game, a few scout watchtowers, a bridge, a few fences to make the demons come the way i want them to, added a few more defenders, archers btw and some scene changers like a well and some water barrels... not a lot tbh but i do like to tinker, but it's my game, i do as i like with it, you do what you want :twisted:

Here's the default map in editor view
default map view.jpg
default map view.jpg (231.42 KiB) Viewed 12383 times
So you can compare, yes it's not like for like, but you hopefully get the picture :?: :shock: :roll:
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Not sure how to turn the stakes around atm or if you even can either, so yes they are facing me and not the demons :shock: but hay ho I'm still learning :twisted: :roll: :wink:
castle front.jpg
castle front.jpg (200.92 KiB) Viewed 12386 times
Last edited by zakblood on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Once you have done all the editing you want to do, just save it, yes it's the same name as the one you edited in the first place...

Then exit the editor, and load the campaign and play it and see your changers, do they work :?:
dupes.jpg
dupes.jpg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 12383 times
One small thing to note, once you alter the campaigns like this, once in the game you will get dupe files in the campaign screen unless you have named them differently (Or if you like me have no idea what your doing still does make dupes even with a name change), so make sure you know which are which, for me the bottom 2 are always the ones you have in your documents folder and the edited ones and the top ones are the normal none altered ones, good luck :twisted: :roll: :wink: or the other way around, you will find it out anyway as soon as you play them :lol:

Like i said before, rubbish teachers make poor students, so if you can't follow it, well don't blame me. I'm a idiot :shock:

Yes with even renaming the edited folders i still get dupes, so as you can clearly see i still have no idea what i'm doing :lol:

But at least it's done and edited, one of them will be the default one, the other will be the edited one, play them to see as once you have checked them, they won't alter so will always be either the first or second one etc :roll: :wink:

Have you got the right campaign to even start off with :?:

Is it better or worse :?:

Have you got any idea what so ever what you are doing :?: or are you in the same place as me, back of the class with a Large hat on your head with the letter D on it :?: :shock: :roll: :wink:

Either way just enjoy it, learn yourself what stuff does by playing with it :twisted:

Have fun, i did....

No support will be given by me with this thread, i'll read and reply to stuff i know, which is very little atm tbh :shock: :wink:

Remember to backup your game and folders, you have been warned..... as I am or can be a idiot some times and do make simple mistakes, we all do, i just make more of them, or a hobby out of it at times :oops:

comments are now welcome as i have all done editing this thread will update if more information is given or found, by either me or any staff / forum member who see something that is totally wrong or misleading, apologies for any in advance :roll: :wink:
jack54
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jack54 »

Can you load an existing map and then add your units? I believe I am loading 'full' scenario's and I have no idea about 'scripts' or 'commenting out'.

Thanks!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes you can, but without knowing the editor and without a better guide even, it may be easier to wait for a proper guide first and after the next update as soon as that comes, maybe monday or one day next week maybe
elec2ron
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by elec2ron »

Not sure i have time to write a proper editor guide but if you guys have questions, ask them in here and i'll try to help :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

When the editor starts it gives you the option to use and existing map, and you can choose any existing map and edit it. That said, if the map requires campaign specific assets or data, you are better off duplicating the entire campaign folder into your local folder and then editing it in place, after changing the name etc to make it easier for yourself, of course :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
jack54

Post by jack54 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:When the editor starts it gives you the option to use and existing map, and you can choose any existing map and edit it. That said, if the map requires campaign specific assets or data, you are better off duplicating the entire campaign folder into your local folder and then editing it in place, after changing the name etc to make it easier for yourself, of course :)

Cheers

Pip
Really not seeing that... all I seem to be able to do is start with a blank map or load an entire scenario complete with units. I'll look into it a little more. I still have plenty left to do with the game anyway. :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

If you load an existing scenario, you will indeed get an entire scenario complete with units :) If you want to remove the units it only takes a moment to go through and delete them.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

still think this game didn't get the members support that it deserved, the developers have been great producing a great game and supporting it, stable and plays really well with post release patches, but for some reason not many are playing it, which is a shame, forum is very quite and for those who have bought it and played it, seem to have kept many comments to themselves in stead of posting, hardly any one modding it and bet now a map pack won't be in the pipeline for those who did buy it to enjoy it some more..

i've made a few mods but only every played them myself, as i just don't have the time and skill to be as good as the game ones, but i've enjoyed not only the game but the editor as well, if you have bought it and enjoyed it, congratulations, if you haven't then you missed out on a good game, so wait for a sale and grab a copy,it's easy and fun, but once the difficulty has been ramped up is hard and a challenge.

will post again next year then it seems :oops:
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

now some one takes up the challenge and returns to Hell, well the editor anyway :twisted:
JamesManhattan
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JamesManhattan »

I want to also add that it is possible to add your own custom units into a mod.

First copy the squads.csv from C:\Slitherine\Hell\Data\squads.csv
into your custom campaign folder (Mine was named TESTCUSTOM) such as C:\Users\MyName\Documents\My Games\HELL\CAMPAIGNS\TESTCUSTOM
Add your units to the bottom of that csv file by copying a line and editing the numbers or names.

Then to make the name of your unit show up in the game; create a TEXT1.txt file in the same TESTCUSTOM folder.
In that txt file put the following...

IDS_CAMPAIGN_NAME,"HellCustomTest",
IDS_CAMPAIGN_TEXT,"HellCustomTest",
IDS_UNITNAME166,"Galloglass Old Scots",
IDS_UNITINF166,"Galloglass Old Scots (British)",

(When I added a unit I made it Unit#166 because that is the next in the numerical progression. I was trying to make a Galloglass warrior)
You can keep adding unit names to that same file.
JamesManhattan
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JamesManhattan »

Oh and another thing to add that I couldn't find anywhere. To Raise the height of a part of the map in the editor, such as if you wanted to create a hill. Hold CTRL and right click.
Hold CTRL and left click to lower a section.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

not something i know either, but as the engine is the same as a few here, i'm sure others will know, all i need now to do it go and look and find it :roll: :wink:
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

well can't believe looking back at this that more didn't make mods for it, i made for myself more than a few and really enjoyed the game and wish to thank all those who viewed and looked at the files and pictures etc
Viewed 4768 times
that's a lot of folks,...

Return to “Hell”