Bergen-Op-Zoom AAR (LandMarine POV)

Battle of the Scheldt Beta Forum

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, Battle of the Scheldt Beta Forum Moderators

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Bergen-Op-Zoom AAR (LandMarine POV)

Post by LandMarine47 »

Hey guys this is a new AAR for the new map Bergen-Op-Zoom! Hope you guys enjoy the fireworks 8)

Turns 1-3 Me and Cavehobbit exchange fire here and there but that's about it. The Crossroads isn't garrisoned (other than a StuG that ran away :() My 25 PDRs shell the entrance of the town where German engineers were reported to be setting up Tank Traps. After the bombardment, the only known losses are a German Truck and a Pak 40. My Armored Column reaches the outskirts of the Farm and are greeted with another Pak 40. While German armor has been yet to be sighted, I know they are waiting inside the city..... Intel suggests the Bunker we captured will be shelled next turn. Let's hope those Germans have horrible aim! Belgian Resistance keeping up radio contact reports that the German troops shuffle around to avoid Artillery Barrages. A well played move from a veteran of the Normandy Campaign. I haven't even entered the city and I know it's going to be a bloody affair. I pray the Canadians live to tell their Families about this battle....
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Bergen-Op-Zoom AAR (LandMarine POV)

Post by LandMarine47 »

Turn 2 Intel was right. While the Crossroads was shelled, they missed only damaging 2 infantry sections. Well he made quite the opening reception for my Canucks! Complete with a Panzer Attack on my flanks, Mortar fire, and Infantry gunfights! Plus the fact I have made no credible progress, things are looking gloom.... But I haven't lost any units yet 8) he's lost a good Para scout unit! And all the while, he got his Pak out of harms way.... :evil:

(Plus the fact EVERY single street has been blocked :|)
Attachments
City Entrance
City Entrance
image.jpg (242.05 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Turn 5 to be honest I don't think we are going to win this one. German Panzers supported by AT guns have suppressed or destroyed all my armor, and are currently steamrolling my infantry. (I have 4 or 5 heavily undermanned Infantry sections) As I approach the city, we come under heavy mortar and MG fire. We have already taken too many losses in my opinion, and German Forces continue to reinforce the streets with Tank Traps. Soo far me and Cavehobbit have agreed this map needs some serious rebalancing. I doubt I'll be able to enter the city due to the amount of forces he's fielding.
Attachments
Losses
Losses
image.jpg (161.02 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Before we continue on my POV AAR I'd like to explain my tactics, and why I'm going to lose this battle.
As my name dictates, I use the tactics of the Blitzkrieg In most of my battles. This tactic usually works in small villages and open ground and forests. Now in a city fight (like this one) it's better for a focused strike at the great of the town. Think of it as a beach landing. Once I secure a small foothold in the town, I will expand in different directions and take my objectives.

Now I used a Blitzkrieg formation because of the open ground and many objectives I had to capture (plus the time strain) instead I should have gone with a surgical strike at the forest and main entrance. Now Cavehobbit was using a spread out tactic, this usually kills a blitzkrieg in its tracks. Due to my units being spread out and pinned in, I couldn't maneuver effectively and I was now stalemated outside if town. If I were to change to the surgical position, I would have taken losses form German Forces and lost too much time.

So let my blunder here be a lesson to the future masters of the Scheldt! Here is my advice
*Use Blitz tactics in wide and spread out zones and/or small villages and forests
*Use Surgical Strike tactics in heavy Urban or Wooded Terrain and/or Fortified Defenses

Here is my map
Blue=Blitz Tactics
Red=German Defenses
Green=Surgical Strike Tactics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (222.94 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Sorry but I dont think we can continue this AAR. Frame Rate issues are crashing my iPad and might begin to corrupt the game :cry:

Return to “Battle of the Scheldt Beta”