Battle of Hastenbeck 1757

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Rekila
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Battle of Hastenbeck 1757

Post by Rekila »

This scenario is based on the battle of Hastenbeck fought on 1757-07-26 between the French army and the allied one commanded by the duke of Cumberland . I used as a reference the article of the battle on Kronoskaff.
The scenario was center on the initial allied left flank, to the south of the village of Hastenbeck where the brunt of the French attack was delivered. The main features on the allied side where a long open wood, the village itself and to the north of it a small stream. In front of the woods the allied have two artillery batteries on field fortifications. To account for the success of the French night march and the surprise so achieved, the French get the initiative with an extra unit, whereas the allied must left one division in reserve off table for the unengaged initial allied right wing.
Here are the armies (all infantry unreformed) :
French.
Army commander: D’Estrees (competent)
Right flank: Chevert (competent)
Legion: skirmishes, large, average, irregular, cavalry attachment.
La marine brigade: Line, large, average, conscript
La courone brigade: Line, large, average, conscript
Alsalce brigade: Line,small, average, drilled
Colonel general, brigade: Shock heavy cavalry. Small, average, drilled.
Cuirassier du Roi: Shock heavy cavalry, Small, average, veteran, drilled
Dauphin : Shock heavy cavalry. Small, average, drilled.
Center: Contades (competent)
Maylly brigade. Line,large, average conscript
Orleans brigade: Line, large, aerage, conscript.
Left Flank: Broglie (competent).
Suedois brigade: line, small, average, drilled.
Greanadiers. Line,large, average,veteran.
Palatinade Brigade. Line,large,poor,drilled
Mestre du camp brigade. Shock heavy cavalry. Small, average, drilled.
Royal Pologne Brigade. Shock heavy cavalry. Small, average, drilled.
Reserve: Marquis de Poyane (competent)
Hussares: large , irregular light cavalry, average.
Maison du Roi. Shock heavy cavalry, small, superior, drilled, guard, Officer Atta.
2 x Medium foot artillery, small, average, drilled.
Volontaires. Small, skirmishes, poor, drilled.
Allied army.
Army commander: Cumberland. (competent)
Right Wing. Zastrow. (competent)
Von Block brigade. 2 x small units, line, average drilled
Von Sporscken brigade. Line, large, average drilled
Hanoverian cavalry. Heavy cavalry. Large average drilled.
Hanoverian dragoons. Heavy cavalry. Small, average, drilled.
Center (Hessians) . Wutginau (competent)
Von Anhalt brigade. Line, small, average, drilled.
Von Gilsa Brigade. Line, small, average, drilled.
Von Füstenberg brigade. Line, large, average, drilled.
Hessian cavalry. Heavy cavalry, small, average drilled
Hessian dragoons. Heavy cavalry, small average, drilled.
Left Wing. Imhoff (competent)
Esprinz of Brunswick brigade. Line, large, poor, drilled
Von Behr Brunsswick brigade. Line, large, poor, drilled
Hanoverian brigade. Line, large, average, drilled.
Left wing vanguard. Von Hardenberg (skilled).
2x Greanadiers. Line, small, superior, drilled.
Hanoverian artillery. Immobile medium foot artillery, small, average, drilled & field works
Hanoverian artillery. Immobile medium foot artillery small, average, drilled + howitzers attachment & field works.
Hanoverian Leibgarde. Heavy cavalry, small, average, drilled.
Jaegers. Skirmishes, small, average, Irregular plus cavalry & officer atta.
As I commanded the allies I will narrated the battle from the allied point of view.
Here is the terrain with the initial deployment. The French placed the four divisions on table with the light units of the reserve on the extreme right flank.
The table, from the other side, with the allied batteries and the woods behind them. Those woods will play an important part in the game, they will prove to be a serious hindrance for the movement of the allied units, without given any defensive advantage. As there is the need to deploy in front of them to support the artillery batteries. As I was worried about the threat posed by the French light units I placed the stronger of the left wings units, the Hanoverian brigade on the extreme left in support of the Jaegers. Later in the game I also move there the Leibgade Hanoverian cavalry brigade to counter-act the French hussars. That left the greatest part of the left flank protected only by my weakest units , the two Brunsswick brigades with only one grenadier unit in support. (First mistake!) I hoped that the Left wing covered by the batteries will resist until the reserve (right wing) arrives.
ImageWhen the Hanoverian division enters the table, I decided to use it not to reinforce my left but to attack on my right. I did that, because of the difficult of moving through the woods, and to take advantage of the weakened French right, (second big mistake). That attack proves to be a complete fiasco, I had difficulties crossing the stream, It would give the French artillery a much better target that the village that they have been boringly shelling until them, and the French grenadiers proved to be a hard nut to crack, with great élan they make a very successful fighting retreat. ImageThen in a moment, disaster! The French infantry broke and destroy one of the Brunswick brigades. ImageMy grenadiers stopped this first breach but in turn where fired in the flank and broken, after the french took the left battery. At the same time my Jagers fled. The Hanoverian Leibgarde cavalry brigade that I have send to stop the French hussars where faced not by these but by the French guard cavalry unit and destroyed.ImageMy entire left flank has disappeared in two turns! The end. What a defeat! 14 to 0 (well in fact 0’5, the French at least lose a base!) Even so it was a very interesting game, as I did with the allies even worse that in the historical Battle, Cumberland has been, in a sense, vindicated.
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Re: Battle of Hastenbeck 1757

Post by deadtorius »

Sorry for your dismal performance but I have done at least as bad myself in the past. Are you going to try to redeem yourself with a refight?

Thanks for the pictures and the report.
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT »

Great write-up, thanks for posting.
Rekila
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Rekila »

Thanks’ both for your posts. About a refight, I think not (the French player had already suggest that with a smile I dint like!) I will try to change now the history in Monongahela. And if that also fails let’s hope Frederick could win at Rossbach again….
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

Fingers crossed for history to repeat itself, in a good way :wink:

Return to “FoGN After Action Reports (AAR)”