Yet another "first impressions" thread

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Martok
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Yet another "first impressions" thread

Post by Martok »

Hallelujah! After getting my new rig, I'm finally able to beta-test this sucker. :)

Been playing a couple hours now, and have been immensely enjoying the experience. I think the devs have done a good job of providing a world that's both familiar yet still alien. Good fun!

Thus far, the beta has been stable. I've experienced no crashes or obvious technical bugs -- I think.

However, I do have a couple questions about issues that may or may not be bugs. I'm not sure if it's an actual bug, or if I'm just not doing something right (most likely the latter, knowing me!). I'll just apologize now if I'm bringing up issues that have already been rehashed ad-nauseum:

1.) What determines where a colonizer can build a new city? I'd dispatched a colonizer to a forest hex next to a gold vein, but it wouldn't let me build a city. However, after a couple turns moving back & forth between adjacent forest hexes, suddenly I could build the city (and on the original hex I'd initially wanted to build it on) after all...?

2.) After I researched heavy vehicles and designed my new Avenger Tank, Colonial Troopers no longer appeared as a build option at either of my cities. Why did they disappear from my build screen? Is that supposed to happen when heavier units become available?
Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Yet another "first impressions" thread

Post by Giskler »

1) Not sure about this, but you can't build cities right next to each other. If there was another city immediately next to the hex you were trying to use (hostile or otherwise) it won't let you settle there.

2) You must have forgotten to click on "New" in the workshop and just edited the existing Colonial Trooper design to an Avenger Tank, hence the Trooper design dissappearing.
Martok
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Martok »

Thanks for the response, Giskler! Much appreciated.

Giskler wrote:1) Not sure about this, but you can't build cities right next to each other. If there was another city immediately next to the hex you were trying to use (hostile or otherwise) it won't let you settle there.

That couldn't have been the problem in this case. The only other city even remotely nearby was my capital, and that was a good 6-7 hexes away.

There was a bug (Xenomorph) nest only a couple hexes away from my new city. Could that have been the problem?

What's really odd is that (like I said in the OP) at first the game wouldn't let me found a city on the hex I wanted, but then a few turns later it *did* let me (after I'd moved the colonizer back & forth a couple times).

Giskler wrote:2) You must have forgotten to click on "New" in the workshop and just edited the existing Colonial Trooper design to an Avenger Tank, hence the Trooper design dissappearing.

Aha, I'll bet that's it! Not that I was really paying attention to when I was designing the tank, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's in fact what I did.

Given my little foul-up, I'm wondering if we might want to make it impossible to edit a unit's "stock" design. That way, no one can repeat my stupid mistake. ;)
Soheil
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by Soheil »

Thanx for the feedback, to answer your first question, it sounds like you had already moved that turn with your colonize and therefor could not build a city, your colonizer is restricted to one action per turn.
Soheil Khaghani
Graphics Artist on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios
Martok
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Martok »

Thanks Soheil!

Yep, that was the problem all right. I started a new game (since I'd accidentally "deleted" Colonial Troopers in my first one), and yes the Colonizer could not found a city if I'd already moved it that turn. Good to know. 8)
Martok
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Martok »

Another n00b question: How/where do I click to look at my cities, especially so I can fiddle with the build queue? Haven't figured that one out yet. :oops:

Also: How does one build roads?
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Theodotus »

Click on the city name to pull up the city screen.

Formers build roads.

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”