British 1812-1814 Army List

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

warmat
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

British 1812-1814 Army List

Post by warmat »

Hello,

Im new to gaming and to FoG:N which is the only rule set i own i have devised a list for the British 1812-1814 from the army list in the Emperors and Eagles book. Anyone more experienced who might give me some comments/changes and why that would be very helpful!! Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Matt

Army List below:

SIZE ELAN TRAININ GUARD ATTACHMENT BASES ATTACH POINTS

Corps Commander Small Skilled 50

1st Division
DC1 (Competent) Small Skilled Drilled Line No Attachment 1 0 30
Line Infantry (reformed) Small Average Drilled Line Rifle Attachment 4 1 50
Medium Foot Artillery Small Average Drilled Line No attachment 2 0 40

2nd Division
DC1 (Competent) Small Skilled Drilled Line No Attachment 1 0 30

3rd Division
DC1 (Competent) Small Skilled Drilled Line No attachment 1 0 30
KGL Line Infantry (reformed Small Average Veteran Line Rifle Attachment 4 1 62

4th Division
DC1 (Competent)Cavalry Command Small Average Drilled Line No attachment 1 30
KGL Hussars Small Average Veteran Light Cavalry No attachment 4 0 40
KGL Hussars Small Average Veteran Light Cavalry No attachment 4 0 40
British Heavy Dragoon Small Average Veteran Guard, Shock No attachment 4 0 64
British Horse Artillery Small Average Drilled No Attachment 2 0 48

Total Points = 794
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: British 1812-1814 Army List

Post by BrettPT »

Hi Matt

It looks a pretty solid list to me, designed to put out firepower at 6MU, should be fairly resilliant to cavalry (all those rifle attachments) with a strong mobile mounted reserve.

Sadly however there is a technical issue which means you will have to go back to the drawing board. You are only allowed 3 divisions of Brits in the 1812-4 list (maximum no. of DCs = 3). Any 4th division must be Spanish. there are also some compulsory troops missing from your list ...

Dropping a DC will free up 30 points, but you will also need to drop an artillery unit (only 1 per division allowed). You will also need to drop the number of skirmisher attachments from 6 down to 4 (freeing up another 20 points).

Further issues and random thoughts:

- A unit of light infantry is compulsory. You could upgrade one of the line units to average veteran LI with rifles at a cost of 28 points.
- Two units of Portugese are compulsory. If you went for average drilled, that mean you need to find 80 more points. I would consider dropping the horse artillery (an unafforable luxury) and one of the Hussar units (ditto) saving 88 points. If you also dropped your heavy dragoons to the drilled impetuous variety (by the way they are not guard), the 16 points you saved could get you a BC for the unit and leave 4 points for the kitty.

If you have the figures painted upgrading the (cheaper varierty) heavy dragoons to large might be worthwhile. Any remaining points could be used on cavalry/artillery/BC attachments, or perhaps upgrading one of your line units to veterans. Upgrading one of your infantry commanders, or the CC to Charismatic would definately be worth trying to find points for.

I would then take a look at the overall size of your two infanty divisions and perhaps convert your 3 of your small British line units into 2 large ones, which would reduce the numbers in each division.

My thoughts with this army is that are not likely to have a great need for CPs. It is a relatively slow army designed to largely defend. You could therefore free up another 20 points by dropping the CC from skilled to competent. If you used part of the points saved to buy a BC, then (apart from losing 1 on your army initiative) you will have effectively traded 1 assignable CP for a 'fixed' one in the BC, however the BC command point needs a 4+ to pass whereas the CC point needs a 5+. Importantly, you also generate an additional rally test each turn.

Good to see you getting into the game. No one size fits all in army lists, although the British players at our club generally agree that the strength of the army is in tooled up infantry.

Cheers
Brett
warmat

Post by warmat »

As ever i thank you for your detailed analysis BrettPT, much appreciated!!

I cant believe i didnt notice the simple 3 divisions only rule!!! And the mandatory Portuguese. That was terrible reading :oops:

I will indeed go back to the drawing board and take a glance at things bearing in mind your suggestions.

Thanks again my friend,

Matt
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

BrettPT wrote: No one size fits all in army lists, although the British players at our club generally agree that the strength of the army is in tooled up infantry.
Most list cannot choose a robust infantry, artillery and cavlary arms. So as Brett says you need to choose to have less of one of those. For me the english take the minimum arillery units. But I use the artillery attachments. Then I have the mounted as a counter-strike force to exploit something or more likely meet an opponent's cavalry arm.

Then as Brett says I invest in infantry quality.

Return to “Player Designed Lists and Adaptions”