GS Beta Bug Reporting

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: GS Beta Bug Reporting

Post by rkr1958 »

spillblood wrote:Playing beta 2.10 as the Allies. I can't attack subs in the Atlantic with my destroyer squadrons except with some battleships. Is this a bug or is it some advantage given to the AI in this version? Or is it related to the fact I haven't researched ASW enough (haven't reached level 1 as GB yet). BTW, AI improvement is noticeable. The AI pulled off some pretty unexpected moves, like invading southern Caucasus via the Black Sea in 1941 (with masses of transports). It managed to invade France and Russia pretty well, could capture Yugoslavia in one turn, hasn't imvaded Greece though. I love the new map graphics with country names etc. Install went smoothly (I have Military History Europe CEAW).
You have to start the turn adjacent to a sub in order to attack it; except for CVs and air units. And, CVs can only attack subs before moving; except for subs hidden in a port.
spillblood
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by spillblood »

Thanks. I think I have to read the full GS 2.1 manual one time. Didn't know this. I mostly played Axis before, it's my first time playing Allies. But as I said before, I didn't notice any bugs, the current installer seems pretty finished. I'll report back if I encounter any problems. I'll finish the game I started. Hehe, stopped yesterday because it was 4 a.m. in the morning when I saved.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

spillblood wrote:Hehe, stopped yesterday because it was 4 a.m. in the morning when I saved.
I know the feeling. :D
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

rkr1958 wrote:
spillblood wrote:Hehe, stopped yesterday because it was 4 a.m. in the morning when I saved.
Me too . Once I played Allies by pbem after midnight ,I was so sleepy that after move UK & USA ,I forgot move USSR at all & just finish the turn . It was in 1942 .Heavy bloc fight in Russia , after this mistake my red army was defeated by a unexceptable circle ,then I lost the war ! Since this is a strategy game , never play it when you feel sleepy ! :)
Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid »

Well, not really a bug, but a glitch.
Italian "fortress" units (Palermo, Tobrul, whatever) can't be renamed, game consider them "SS" somehow.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

It's because the code is searching for "SS " or " SS" to find out that a unit is an SS unit. We are aware of this glitch, but figured we didn't want to fix it because GS v2.1 is frozen.
spillblood
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by spillblood »

Stauffenberg wrote:It's because the code is searching for "SS " or " SS" to find out that a unit is an SS unit. We are aware of this glitch, but figured we didn't want to fix it because GS v2.1 is frozen.
What does that mean, it's frozen?
spillblood
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by spillblood »

Morris wrote:
rkr1958 wrote:
Me too . Once I played Allies by pbem after midnight ,I was so sleepy that after move UK & USA ,I forgot move USSR at all & just finish the turn . It was in 1942 .Heavy bloc fight in Russia , after this mistake my red army was defeated by a unexceptable circle ,then I lost the war !)
I hope in Commander The Great War some kind of unit cycle button or unit list which shows moved/unmoved units is implemented. It's quite easy to overlook some units and not move them. I always find myself scanning the whole map for units which are still blinking before I end a turn, which is kinda annoying.
Plaid

Post by Plaid »

I hope in Commander The Great War some kind of unit cycle button or unit list which shows moved/unmoved units is implemented. It's quite easy to overlook some units and not move them. I always find myself scanning the whole map for units which are still blinking before I end a turn, which is kinda annoying.
This button already exists, page up and page down buttons do it in GS. If you want, you can also put non-active units (like city garrisons in rear areas) on sentry mode (s), so cycle will ignore them.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Plaid wrote:
This button already exists, page up and page down buttons do it in GS. If you want, you can also put non-active units (like city garrisons in rear areas) on sentry mode (s), so cycle will ignore them.
It is quite useful ! but when you feel sleepy , you will be blind at the blinking! :lol:
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

spillblood wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:It's because the code is searching for "SS " or " SS" to find out that a unit is an SS unit. We are aware of this glitch, but figured we didn't want to fix it because GS v2.1 is frozen.
No more changes.
spillblood
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by spillblood »

rkr1958 wrote:
spillblood wrote:
No more changes.
Until the GS 2.1 installer is released, or has mod development ended completely?
Plaid

Post by Plaid »

Railroar glitch

Basically this corps in Milan is not connected to major germany railroad network (see hexes marked with red crosses), since moutains considered hexes without rail.
Still I can rail it to say Berlin, as you can see. Probably it is bug here.
JimR
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: GS Beta Bug Reporting -- 2.1 messaging bug

Post by JimR »

In a 2.1 game where I am the Axis, the Allies attacked Belgium in fall 1939 and got the expected message about American unhappiness, reduced convoys, no LL destroyer. In the spring, the Axis attacked neutral Holland and got a message about how the ALLIED attack on Holland has angered the Americans, thus reducing convoys and canceling the LL destroyer. In my Allied opponent's subsequent turn he got the same message (about Holland). These erroneous messages appear to have no effect on gameplay, since the Allies already were being penalized for their Belgium aggression. But the erroneous messaging is confusing, and it ought to be diagnosed and fixed.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: GS Beta Bug Reporting -- 2.1 messaging bug

Post by Morris »

JimR wrote:In a 2.1 game where I am the Axis, the Allies attacked Belgium in fall 1939 and got the expected message about American unhappiness, reduced convoys, no LL destroyer. In the spring, the Axis attacked neutral Holland and got a message about how the ALLIED attack on Holland has angered the Americans, thus reducing convoys and canceling the LL destroyer. In my Allied opponent's subsequent turn he got the same message (about Holland). These erroneous messages appear to have no effect on gameplay, since the Allies already were being penalized for their Belgium aggression. But the erroneous messaging is confusing, and it ought to be diagnosed and fixed.
I have experienced this too . It is a small problem which won't effect the game going . It just because they did not imagine that allies will Dow Belgium in 1939 in practice . :)
spillblood
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by spillblood »

I'm having a problem that AI turn resolution hangs at the moment, can't finish the game I've written about here earlier. I'd like to send in a savegame (because the error occurs each time I reload that savegame and end the turn). Where do I have to send it to?
BuddyGrant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by BuddyGrant »

spillblood wrote:I'm having a problem that AI turn resolution hangs at the moment, can't finish the game I've written about here earlier. I'd like to send in a savegame (because the error occurs each time I reload that savegame and end the turn). Where do I have to send it to?
This usually happens to me if I 'trap' AI naval units, and there is no open hex for the AI naval unit to move to. The AI units will move 1 space away if it gets blocked, but if all the neighbouring hexes have units in them the game will hang, sometimes with a java error message in the DOS command box. Usually there are subs involved when this happens so if you have a lot of allied subs in play that might be the cause. The workaround solution to continue the game in this kind of error scenario is to replay the previous turn and moving your naval units (subs especially) a few hexes away from the AI units.
avoran
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by avoran »

I just had the program hang because of a tricky situation with subs.

Was moving a bunch of UK DD's to surround a convoy on the west coast of Ireland. Turned out the last empty space had a uboat it in. After the attack on the uboat my DD was bounded *to the same hex as the convoy* - probably because there were no empty adjacent hexes. After that the program hung.
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester
spillblood
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by spillblood »

BuddyGrant wrote:
spillblood wrote:I'm having a problem that AI turn resolution hangs at the moment, can't finish the game I've written about here earlier. I'd like to send in a savegame (because the error occurs each time I reload that savegame and end the turn). Where do I have to send it to?
This usually happens to me if I 'trap' AI naval units, and there is no open hex for the AI naval unit to move to. The AI units will move 1 space away if it gets blocked, but if all the neighbouring hexes have units in them the game will hang, sometimes with a java error message in the DOS command box. Usually there are subs involved when this happens so if you have a lot of allied subs in play that might be the cause. The workaround solution to continue the game in this kind of error scenario is to replay the previous turn and moving your naval units (subs especially) a few hexes away from the AI units.
Yes, I think this is exactly what happened. I built a blob of naval units in Southern Atlantic to prevent the AI's subs from attacking my American transports carrying troops to North Africa. Seems some of them can't move which causes the game to hang.
joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 »

Crazyg and I found a bug in our game. Axis player had rejected the French armistice and captured Brest manually. He had then moved a sub into that port. When the southern convoy came up, it ran into the sub in the port at Brest and was ambushed, losing 6 steps or so.

My explanation was that their radio died and they hadn't heard that Brest was lost. :)

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”