Big Panzer Corps Tournament

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big Panzer Corps Tournament

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you uininstall and then delete the Program Files\Slitherine\Panzer Corps folder this should remove everything. It is possible that uninstall leaves files modified outside the installer and then reinstall does not overwrite them as they are newer.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

iainmcneil wrote:If you uininstall and then delete the Program Files\Slitherine\Panzer Corps folder this should remove everything. It is possible that uninstall leaves files modified outside the installer and then reinstall does not overwrite them as they are newer.
+1
And if the multiplayer saves anything in the Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps also erase that folder.
Apart from that, there's only Windows registry. There's an entry about PBEM, but the only thing that it seems to be registered over there is the login information. However as I'm not a MP player, I cannot attest, if further entries are created.
Amadeus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Amadeus »

At the moment I did not know any player who did it. And with all due respect that is too difficult for players to catch a clean installation.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Amadeus wrote:At the moment I did not know any player who did it. And with all due respect that is too difficult for players to catch a clean installation.
Well, like with most of other programs, a clean installation is always too difficult. I'll sure you that most programs are even much more difficult.
But Maybe for your problem, you've only to be certain that there was no other files left when you uninstalled Panzer Corps on its default folder.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

The thing that causes this issue, AFAIK, is the equipment.pzeqp file. If all players are issued a standard, tournament approved, efile (perhaps as part of a GME folder?) there would be no need for a re-install. Players would just use the standard GME file/s when starting (and it is only when starting because after that the correct efile is automatically used) tournament games and avoid this hassle. If GME is too hard they can simply copy the file into the Panzer Corps\Data folder. If that is too hard, well what can I say...
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

OT but still related to the tournament: in my game, which my opponent has handily won, he dropped paratroops sneakily behind my lines to capture flags. So far, so good - good strategy. However, in a couple of turns he is able to produce T-34s from those captured flags! I have been arguing since beta that PzC should have an option for designers to decide which city hexes will act as supply points but, in the absence of this, would it be a useful house rule to prevent purchasing new units behind enemy lines? As I'm writing this I can see there will be difficulties in defining 'behind enemy lines' (the movie was good!). Thoughts?
deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter »

El_Condoro wrote:OT but still related to the tournament: in my game, which my opponent has handily won, he dropped paratroops sneakily behind my lines to capture flags. So far, so good - good strategy. However, in a couple of turns he is able to produce T-34s from those captured flags! I have been arguing since beta that PzC should have an option for designers to decide which city hexes will act as supply points but, in the absence of this, would it be a useful house rule to prevent purchasing new units behind enemy lines? As I'm writing this I can see there will be difficulties in defining 'behind enemy lines' (the movie was good!). Thoughts?
This is a nature of MP, and I don't think it should be changed. Ignore recon units and paratroopers at your own risk. I always, always contain any sort of breakthrough, and am very paranoid about surprise attacks like that. On the rare occasion when I am surprised, I immediately deal with it, even if I have to give ground in other theaters. I personally am not a big user of paratroopers, but I always aggressively seek out weak points and do my best to shove fast movers past weak defenses. Otherwise battles will just degenerate into KV1-C vs StuG IIIF or Elephants vs ISU-122.

There needs to be a significant reward for sneak attacks, and I would not change this for the purposes of MP. Single player, sure, I could agree with more sophisticated supply rules.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

If it seems in any way realistic that paratroops and recons can call in and drop T-34s, IS-IIs and any other unit to where they are then that's your call but to me it's utterly ridiculous. I am not asking for it to be removed from the game (PzC) but for it to be an option for designers. As for the tournament, I am thinking it's not really possible to do anything about it, unfortunately - the game won't change in that respect for a while and the problems of interpreting and enforcing any house rule, too hard.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I see your point deducter, but I'm with El_Condoro. It just doesn't make sense.
soldier
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by soldier »

It can suck being caught out by a good paradrop move and sometimes it feels like a sneaky strategy, particularly if you don't use them often but its just something you have to try to deal with. Many players use it and its a common part of MP so you have to be prepared for it. Remember you still have 2 turns to cut supplies off to any town taken by an infiltrator and then they cannot produce T -34's behind your lines. Its always a good idea to keep a reserve recon unit or troop in the rear areas to keep your territories secure and keep your air force on standby to counter the threat.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

It's not that it wasn't a good move - it was; it just doesn't make any sense. PzC has some semblance to reality, surely, if not a huge amount. I just finished reading about Market-Garden again - I'm sure the 1st Airborne would have loved to teleport the XXX Corps into Arnhem. :) The 9SS and 10SS were there to prevent it, but even if they had been elsewhere the XXX Corps would still have had to trundle up that narrow road to get to Arnhem.
Amadeus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Amadeus »

El_Condoro wrote:The thing that causes this issue, AFAIK, is the equipment.pzeqp file. If all players are issued a standard, tournament approved, efile (perhaps as part of a GME folder?) there would be no need for a re-install. Players would just use the standard GME file/s when starting (and it is only when starting because after that the correct efile is automatically used) tournament games and avoid this hassle. If GME is too hard they can simply copy the file into the Panzer Corps\Data folder. If that is too hard, well what can I say...
I wanna come back for a very important mark. What El Condoro said is correct. Nobody wants to reinstall the game for fun. BUT there is need to start a multiplayer game in a "virgin way" just to play the default scenarios.
ruskicanuk
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re:

Post by ruskicanuk »

deducter wrote:Grats to rusikcanuk for winning, when we played, I could tell he is a very good player.
Thanks deductor - I found you very strong also. Overall it as a fun tourney - thanks to Amadeus for putting in the time to organize it.

Return to “Panzer Corps”