Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V24.0 OCT 14th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:09 pm and for the blockade, does the English Channel count as North Sea, Atlantic or neither?
The North Sea naval region extends up to Scapa Flow in the north and the line between Plymouth & Brest in The Channel.

Russia doesn't start with an army corps in the caucasus anymore in MP. is that intentional?
Yes, due to Ottoman inability to automatically spawn an ad-hoc force upon Russian invasion.

the code for minor powers not being able to build more than 10 factories also bans major powers from doing it.
Fixed

I sent German Army Redeployed in MP and it did nothing.
Fixed

race to the sea doesn't unlock the hexes in MP
Not enough info. Scenario, game turn, position of units, Umeu-style shenanigans etc. ?

regarding the new Salonika donation, I didn't realize that the hexes would now create a passable front. So CP can just immediately take Salonika if it has a unit there. Maybe just donate the 2 coastal hexes, but not the 2 inland one, so that Entente can still bring more than 1 unit, without CP immediately being able to take Salonika? Otherwise probably anything less than spawning an Entente army corps there will result in Salonika being overrun immediately after donation.
Fixed.

still in v23, but not sure if already fixed in v24, but this part of the Kaiserschlacht code is missing localization for Paris and Dortmund.
Fixed.

Capital Ships etc.
BC upkeep reduced to 4.
Germany gets new port city of Rostock (4PP).

V24.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FWU22- ... e6Erv/view

DO NOT APPLY THE UPDATE TO A MATCH IN PROGRESS. START A NEW MATCH AFTER APPLYING THE UPDATE OR FINISH THE MATCH IN PROGRESS FIRST!
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Potzblitz V24.0 OCT 14th 2023

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:49 pm Not enough info. Scenario, game turn, position of units, Umeu-style shenanigans etc. ?
the game moved on now, so I don't remember exactly, but it happened in 2 games, 1 as Entente, 1 as CP. I received the message for the event as normal, but the hexes just did not become passable and instead remain locked.

I think it might be related to this, which still looks the same in 24.1
btw, was messing around in files, and I noticed that the game_morale script is now completely different. It only contains 1 long line. Where it used to have all the events and luadata values set to 0 or whatever amount. Did you move this to another file? (some of it is still there, topevents etc, but the country luadatas arent anymore.
for example, the BEF was defined in v23 as

Code: Select all

britain.luadata.befcorps = 0
but in v24 and v24.1 it's defined as

v80.luadata.befcorps = 0
and basically all the countries have been replaced with v(followed by a number)

not sure if this is intentional or not, but the layout of the file has also been removed. It's now just a single, very long line of code.

If they are unrelated, then I'll just keep an eye out for it on v24.1

And I think maybe Swedish convoys should still keep coming even if Sweden joins CP. Entente convoys from NA also still keep coming despite Canada being in the war, and USA as well when they join.

There are still Greek units in and around Larissa after it has been granted to Britain in Macedonian front event. So I can't take the city as CP unless I DoW greece. Is this wad or bug? Same thing with Fort Roupel btw, which no longer cedes even though I put a CP unit next to it (since the territory is owned by Britain, but the unit in the fort is Greek)
'

the connection with Belgium is still strange. In my MP game, Britain can send resources to Belgium (only Antwerp and Ypres still under control) by sea but also by rail. While France can only send by sea, but not by rail, even though I have connected Antwerp to Calais by land.
Also, it seems to drain resources somehow. I sent 80 PP to it, and the next turn, only 3 left. Despite it having only 1 army corps. And it's been doing this several turns in a row now.
It seems other nations are weird too. Can keep sending supplies from Austria or other CP nations to Germany even though rail moves have been used up.

Does the cossacks are coming event only trigger on the first turn of Russian DoW? I invaded on the 2nd turn (because my opponent went Moltke goes East and gets Fired), and I didn't get the popup.

sevastopol shelling random trigger causes crash (seems to be related to Goeben event)

[18:15:19][2296]EVENTCHECKCHECK0
[18:15:19][2296]game/game_events.lua:3613(global SevastopolShelling) game/game_events.lua:3613: attempt to call global 'GetEVent' (a nil value)
some techs in the scenario lua files (1914-1918 + potzblitz) aren't set to the right faction. For example:

ProgressTechnology(3, "industrial_train_design", 75)
is found in Russia, and also USA has a few techs still set to 8, italy.

Also, can you please tell me where in the code or which file this part is managed?
2.11 AIR UNIT RECON
Upon attacking a ground unit, air units may succeed in spotting enemy units in hexes adjacent to the target. Success heavily relies on air unit experience and weather (lower chance during winter).
btw managed to add new technology, in case you ever want to do something with it.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V24.2 OCT 28th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Fixed all reported issues.

V24.2:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wSVBR- ... K8bMb/view

And I think maybe Swedish convoys should still keep coming even if Sweden joins
Having your cake and eat it, eh? Nope. I think it's an interesting choice to make whether you want convoys that can be ambushed by the enemy or having control over another ally.

Does the cossacks are coming event only trigger on the first turn of Russian DoW? I invaded on the 2nd turn (because my opponent went Moltke goes East and gets Fired), and I didn't get the popup.
Anything that would prevent Tannenberg from happening would also prevent Cossacks, maybe your opponent conducted Prittwitz's retreat?

Also, can you please tell me where in the code or which file this part is managed?
combat.lua line 3149 - 3173

btw managed to add new technology, in case you ever want to do something with it.
Not enough info. :|
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu

Re: Potzblitz V24.2 OCT 28th 2023

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:19 pm Fixed all reported issues.
thanks

I guess the changes in the morale.lua are intentional then. Can you explain what/why you changed it for? Because I don't understand how to read it anymore right now. Before it was pretty straightforward. Same for units.lua and game.ammunition.lua now btw
Anything that would prevent Tannenberg from happening would also prevent Cossacks, maybe your opponent conducted Prittwitz's retreat?
Ok, makes sense. I think he did retreat Prittwitz, so that explains it. Does retreating behind the vistula also mean you can't send for Hindenburg anymore, or achieve Tannenberg if you kill an army corps?

Not enough info. :|
It's not much more than what I said. But iirc, when we last talked about adding techs, you said you tried but it didn't work. But maybe I misunderstood it. Anyway, if you don't know how to add techs, I've managed to add new ones. And if it's something you would consider doing for the mod in the future, I can tell you how.

I personally like the idea of more techs, especially because it also allows faction specific techs if you match them to an event, allowing armies of different powers to get a slightly more unique feeling and focus on different strengths. Even more than what you have already done with the tech speeds (for example France having a lead on gas and railguns, and AH on trains etc) but after 1916, every army is kinda the same. With unique techs, you can slightly differentiate between them. (For example a Chauchat automatic rifle tech for France, or a Stokes mortar tech for UK, etc,) just to get a little bit of variation on the max upgraded state of a unit. And of course it's also some nice flavor.

I am also toying with the idea of an extra tech that is only for reserve corps, called something like Improved Basic Training. It feels like the difference between army corps and reserve corps is too big. It was mostly German reserve corps that fought in the East in 1914 and they were more than a match for Russian army corps, even offensively. Currently reserve corps are nothing but cannon fodder until they get industrial warfare. And then they are good only defensively when dug in. The tech is supposed to make reserve corps a bit more effective in the long run, while still not nearly as good as an army corps, especially offensively. Army corps especially are needed because they have more assault stats, required to take down entrenched troops. But at the same time, I think the balance, especially in the west, is currently pretty good in 1914, so I don't want to upset it by changing the base stats of the reserve corps. Germany would start with Improved Basic Training already researched, since they had the best reserve corps at start of the war. Some other powers, but not necessarily all (that's the nice thing about extra, targetted/individualized techs) would be able to unlock the same benefits with events (or with time), so the early game isn't really affected, but I think later in the game having a more resilient reserve corps for most powers would maybe also mean the game will reach 1918 more often than it does now.

The biggest challenge is honestly finding models for the tech that match the aesthetic of the ones already in the game. But there are a few.

here are 2 I added to test
https://img.onl/rPTBft
https://img.onl/1P5b0L
need to slightly adjust the frame, but other than lacking shadows, they look not too out of place compared to the originals.

Torpedo boat raid shows up as an event for Entente even when Italy is not yet in the war. Is it WAD?

also, is it possible to rewrite this code to apply only 1 specific tech to a unit, instead of all available techs? For example for it to upgrade only steel_helmet upgrade even if other techs (both before and after) have been researched? Or even for it to upgrade a unit with steel helmets if the faction has not yet unlocked steel helmets?

-- Apply all current techs to the unit
function UpdateUnit(unit, techs)
--LogUi("update start")
  -- copy unit techs
  if techs == nil then
    unit.luaData.unitTechs = utils.deepcopy(unit.faction.luaData.factionTechs)
  else
    unit.luaData.unitTechs = utils.deepcopy(techs)
  end

--FIXME: unit must use icon at time of purchase, not latest one
  -- If faction has the unit type
  if unit.faction.luaData.unitLevel[unit.prototype.name] ~= nil then
    while unit.level < unit.faction.luaData.unitLevel[unit.prototype.name] do
      unit:Upgrade()
      EasterEgg_RedBaron(unit)
    end
  end
 -- LogUi("update end")
end
I also tried it this way, but no success either

for unit in russia.units do
									if unit.hex ~= nil 
									and (unit.prototype.name == "infantry" 
									or unit.prototype.name == "garrison" 
									or unit.prototype.name == "cavalry") then
										UpdateUnit(unit, "steel_helmet")
								--ApplyTechnology(unit, "steel_helmet")										
							end
						end	

came across this bug:

[17:28:24][8828]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ Event triggered:Zar
[17:28:24][8828]game/game_events.lua:12350(global Zar) game/game_events.lua:12350: attempt to index global 'germany' (a nil value)

was played in a version that I made some changes to but afaik nothing that deals with these events, but might be wrong since some files I can't read anymore.

but I noticed that Race to the Sea still behaves weird with hexes not or only partially unlocking.
race to the sea not opening hexes.rar
(134.43 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
and the BEF experience bonus got applied 2x, once to the infantry and once to a reserve corps to which AI attached French.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V24.2a NOV 5th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Fixed the crash and the issue about unlocking of Motorboat Torpedo Raid unlocking if Italy is still neutral.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j8OsbO ... JWDj4/view

Belgian coast sometimes only partially unlocking is working as designed, the unlocking can only happen as long as Calais is not captured by CP. Upon surrender of Belgium the coast should automatically unlock.

also, is it possible to rewrite this code to apply only 1 specific tech to a unit, instead of all available techs? For example for it to upgrade only steel_helmet upgrade even if other techs (both before and after) have been researched? Or even for it to upgrade a unit with steel helmets if the faction has not yet unlocked steel helmets?
I'm afraid that's beyond my scripting skills to answer. It might be possible but it would certainly require an inordinate amount of workarounds.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

thanks. It's looking pretty stable then.
Robotron wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:13 pm I'm afraid that's beyond my scripting skills to answer. It might be possible but it would certainly require an inordinate amount of workarounds.
I managed to reset a tech after it has been researched, but it doesn't remove the upgrade. It does seem very complicated sadly.

But can you please still answer my question about this?
I guess the changes in the morale.lua are intentional then. Can you explain what/why you changed it for? Because I don't understand how to read it anymore right now. Before it was pretty straightforward. Same for units.lua and game.ammunition.lua now btw

bergmann causes crash in SP because luck hasn't been defined.

if MatchType() == 1 
						and GetEvent("Enver") <= 0 then
							local hex = GetHex(145, 47)	 -- infantry			
							SpawnUnit(1, turkey, 145, 47, 0, luck)	
							local hex = GetHex(144, 48)	 -- infantry		
							SpawnUnit(1, turkey, 144, 48, 0, luck)	
							local hex = GetHex(146, 49)	 
							SpawnUnit(0, turkey, 146, 49, 0, luck)	
ran into this crash in MP, but I don't recognize this issue. But I bypassed it by temporalily disabling that function in game.lua

[17:53:39][22396]GAME LUA CHECK 1
[17:53:39][22396]GAME LUA CHECK 2
[17:53:39][22396]GAME LUA CHECK 3
[17:54:10][26352]NAME:: VON RICHTHOFEN
[17:54:10][26352]AIR ATTACKBONUS: 125.4
[17:54:10][26352]AIR INTERCEPTBONUS: 150.1
[17:54:10][26352]COMMANDER WOUND ROUTINE
[17:54:10][26352]RANGE:1
[17:54:10][26352]NAME:FONCK
[17:54:10][26352]KILL ROLL WAS: 6
[17:54:10][26352][C]:-1(global GetUnitById) No matching overload found, candidates:
Unit* GetUnitById(Game const&,custom [class Id])
teletabicus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by teletabicus »

Hi, I don't have much experience with Potzblitz yet but I've played a few games and I get the idea that the Russian steamroller is too strong. Furthermore, two things happened that left me perplexed. In the first, like CP, Germany surrendered in early 1915 in an absolutely uncompromised military situation (AH and Ottomans remained in the game) only due to a combination of losses and naval blockade. in another game, again as CP, full Russian mobilization, the Russians attack when it is winter on solid German lines and fail the breakthrough. After a couple of turns, when the situation in Prussia is extremely calm, no longer serving as a reserve I make the mistake of moving a reserve corps commanded by Prittwitz to Posen. I lost about twenty morale points. It is not possible for a technical error to have such serious consequences that they can change the course of the game. I risk to lose the game for it. after some turns Prittwitz effect has to disappear
LepetitKipetchi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LepetitKipetchi »

Hi Robotron,

Thanks for the new changes, it is really cool and I love these new challenges !
Just play few games and the new version looks more instable : the game crash and sometimes, when I just move one unit and try again, it works. Don't know why !
I joined you the last save, does not look to work this time eaven if I move a unit.
Hope it will help you to stabilize :)
Cheers
Attachments
AutoSaveEndTurn.rar
(172.14 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

teletabicus wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:28 pm Hi, I don't have much experience with Potzblitz yet but I've played a few games and I get the idea that the Russian steamroller is too strong.
Steamroller has been nerfed in v24+ versions already. It might be ok now, or still too strong, but have only played 1 game on v24 and I was CP vs Full Russian Mob so I had enough time to prepare for Tannenberg. So idk how it is now vs Surprise attack or normal t5 attack.

I think maybe the steamroller bonus is fine now, but achieving Tannenberg can still be quite difficult to do. Since Max Hoffman was on Prittwitz' s staff, I still think his event, which is really strong, should be sendable without unlocking Hindenburg, as long as you have intercepted the Russian Wireless. Currently, achieving Tannenberg without sending Hindenburg is pretty much impossible, it's already quite hard to do if you do send Hindenburg, realistically, you need to send Wave of Patriotism as well in the same turn or the next, which isn't always possible. This means that Max Hoffman event might as well not exist as it is currently.

To make sure it's not too OP in the new format, the Hoffman combat bonus will end if it helps achieve tannenberg, or otherwise at the end of the turn. This means you can use Max Hoffman in 2 ways, either you use him to unlock Tannenberg but probably won't be able to use his bonus for a full turn, since bonus will end as soon as you unlock Tannbenberg. Or, you achieve Tannenberg first, without Sending Hindenberg, and then send Max Hoffman later in the game, to use his bonus for a full turn and when your army in the east is bigger and so can do more damage. Or you can send Hindenberg, if you are unlucky with intercepting the wireless or didn't find Hoffman, and try to get Tannenberg that way.

also the background of the starting screen changed :O

was looking at some code for something else today but noticed this:
if deserters <5 then
deserters = 5
elseif desert >25 then
deserters = 25
end
is the desert >25 correct or should it be deserters >25?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

teletabicus wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:28 pm Hi, I don't have much experience with Potzblitz yet but I've played a few games and I get the idea that the Russian steamroller is too strong.
Have you already tried playing on the easy difficulty setting? If so, here's a good summary about how to defend against the Russians:
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 9#p1008949
8)
teletabicus wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:28 pm after some turns Prittwitz effect has to disappear
I agree, from now on Prittwitz will be free to move anywhere after either
. once Moltke has been sacked
- or East Prussia devastated event was triggered
- or once winter has begun.

LepetitKipetchi wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:01 pm Hope it will help you to stabilize :)
Please include the ctgw.log next time right after the crash has happened, so I don't have to try to reproduce the bug, it saves me a lot of time. :wink:

Umeu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:47 am I think maybe the steamroller bonus is fine now, but achieving Tannenberg can still be quite difficult to do. Since Max Hoffman was on Prittwitz' s staff, I still think his event, which is really strong, should be sendable without unlocking Hindenburg
Okay, changed that. Hoffmann is unlocked either after Bring Hindenburg out of retirement or Russian Wireless intercepted events.

Umeu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:47 amTo make sure it's not too OP in the new format, the Hoffman combat bonus will end if it helps achieve tannenberg, or otherwise at the end of the turn. This means you can use Max Hoffman in 2 ways, either you use him to unlock Tannenberg but probably won't be able to use his bonus for a full turn, since bonus will end as soon as you unlock Tannbenberg. Or, you achieve Tannenberg first, without Sending Hindenberg, and then send Max Hoffman later in the game, to use his bonus for a full turn and when your army in the east is bigger and so can do more damage. Or you can send Hindenberg, if you are unlucky with intercepting the wireless or didn't find Hoffman, and try to get Tannenberg that way.
I like this. Implemented. :)

Umeu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:47 am also the background of the starting screen changed :O
Because today is a special day. :idea:

Umeu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:47 am was looking at some code for something else today but noticed this:
if deserters <5 then
deserters = 5
elseif desert >25 then
deserters = 25
end
is the desert >25 correct or should it be deserters >25?
You're right.
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umeu

Re: Potzblitz V24.2b NOV 11th 2023

Post by Umeu »

[17:04:37][17764]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ Event triggered:EmdenRaider
[17:04:37][17764]game/game_morale.lua:1(global ChangeFactionMorale) game/game_morale.lua:1: attempt to index local 'v22' (a nil value)

I think the problem is that Germany hasn't been localized in the EmdenRaider function in game_events, but not sure. It was MP so couldn't recreate.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

That's correct.
Last edited by Robotron on Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LepetitKipetchi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LepetitKipetchi »

Hi Robotron,

Thanks for the corrections :)
I have played several games and no new crash to report until now.
I just attachef you the save, hope it will help you !

Thanks again for your time
Attachments
AutoSaveEndTurn.rar
(134.01 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

LepetitKipetchi wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:53 pm I have played several games and no new crash to report until now.
I just attached you the save, hope it will help you !
Thanks for reporting.
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zovs
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Zovs »

Robotron wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:07 pm
LepetitKipetchi wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:53 pm I have played several games and no new crash to report until now.
I just attached you the save, hope it will help you !
Thanks for reporting. Bugfix in attachment.
Is this bugfix included in the download on the first page? Or does it need to be patch in?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Zovs wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 am Is this bugfix included in the download on the first page? Or does it need to be patch in?
You need to patch it in yourself, copy the DATA folder from the archive over the DATA folder in the game's main folder.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Thanks for the info. Will patch tonight. Nice mod by the way.
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

I am back after a very extended medical absence!

I recently started a new campaign and the game is crashing when the AI is attempting to play an event it appears.
Attachments
OstCrash.zip
(7.46 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Happy new year wolf, hope you're doing well!

Find the bugfix in the archive attached to this post. Copy the DATA folder from the archive over the DATA folder in the game's main folder.
Bugfix.zip
(309.61 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Wolf001

Re: Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

Post by Wolf001 »

Happy new year to you as well, hope all is well with you!

Thank you for the quick fix!

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”