War for Civilisation II

Forum for campaigns based around the Field of Glory digital version

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Jonah75
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

War for Civilisation II

Post by Jonah75 »

EDIT - THIS CAMPAIGN IS OPEN TO JOIN THROUGHOUT - POST ON THREAD OR PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN

As Loeg 11 is some time away, I am thinking of re-running the War for Civilisation campaign. If there is interest I intend to run it on a less hectic schedule than last time, giving players a week for orders rather than 3 days. I would aim to start in a week or so and have it finished well before the next Loeg league. I am also redrafting some rules based on the experiences last time around. I understand that given we didn't complete last time, there may be some reluctance this time - but I'll do my best to make sure this one doesn't tail off.

Please let me know if you want to play.
Last edited by Jonah75 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah75

Re: War for Civilisation II

Post by Jonah75 »

The War for Civilisation

Introduction:
This is a campaign, ideally for 5 players, but can be played with more. It represents the period immediately prior to the second Punic War, around 217BC.

Each player takes to role of one of the great powers (Macedonia, the Seleucids, Ptolemaic Egypt, Rome and Carthage). When played with more players, additional players take the role of Attalid Pergamon, the Aetolian League, Pontus, Numidia and The Achaean League, in that order, with a maximum of 10 players.

Joining the Campaign:
1) Additional players may join during a campaign, and are allocated a minor power at the discretion of the referee.
2) A state is limited to a single attack and zero naval invasions until it controls four provinces (with the exception of Macedonia).
3) Additional rules can be suggested by the referee during a campaign, implemented if agreed by a simple majority of players.

Aim of the Game:
The game can end in several ways:
1) Exhaustion brings peace: from the fifth round onwards there is a steadily increasing random chance of the game ending. In the 5th round this is a 1%, 6th a 4% chance, 7th a 7% chance, 8th round a 10% chance, and so on until game termination.

When ‘exhaustion brings peace’ the rank order (with highest winning the game) is decide by the following point allocation:
- 1 point for each province held
- 3 points for each minor city held
- 5 points for each major city held
- 1 point for every battle won
- 5 points for slaying an enemy war leader (see Death or Capture of a War Leader)

2) Dominant power imposes peace: If a power fulfils one of the following criteria, the game ends immediately and that player wins:
- 22 provinces (including major and minor cities) held
- 3 major power capitals held

Game Turn Order - Each turn represents 1 year

Phase 1 – Map Update and Random Event
The referee will post updated province lists on the campaign thread, and post the random event for the turn.

Random Events Table:

1-30 – Nothing Happens
31-36 – Marriage strengthens ties. Two players are randomly selected. Those two players may not attack each other for 3 turns.
37-41 – Assassin strikes. One randomly selected player endures ‘death or capture of war leader event’.
42-45 – Patriotic surge. Two randomly selected players have +50 to their armies this turn.
46 – Slave revolt! Each Italian province / city (including Scilly) have a 10% chance of facing a 400 strength slave revolt.
47 – Jewish revolt! Province 19 is attacked by 450 strength Jewish Revolt
48-52 – Famine. One randomly selected player’s armies suffer -50 to their armies this turn.
53-59 - Winds of change. 1-6 provinces revert to minor power status.
60-65 – Enraged by massacres! One randomly determined player may only launch attacks at another randomly determined player this turn.
66-71 – Rough seas. No naval invasions this turn.
72-76 – Fortifications strengthened. One randomly selected player may add +50 to all armies which are defending this turn.
77-80 – War frenzy. Each player may launch 3 instead or 2 attacks or 2 naval invasions instead of one.
81 – Mercs Revolt – each Carthaginian province / city has a 10% chance of facing a 400 strength Celtiberan army.
82-99 – Barbarians! – Gauls, Germans, Scythians, Arabs or some other group attacks one province – the referee to post details.
00 – Barbarian Horde! – Huge numbers of Gauls, Germans, Scythians, Arabs or some other group attacks a number of provinces – the referee to post details.

Phase 2 – Orders
The order phase takes place simultaneously for all players. In their order phase each player may order attacks on two provinces which they share a land border with, or one naval invasion on a province they do not share a land border with. Even provinces separated by narrow straits of water (33 to 34, 48 to 50, 9 to 63 and 11 to 63) require a naval invasion order.

In the order phase, each player chooses where their war leader will be in the action phase of that turn (see ‘war leaders’, below). If a player does not inform the referee of the location of their war leader, they are assumed to based in their capital.

An order will be sent as a pm to the referee, and a 7 day window will exist for orders to be pm’ed.

Phase 3 – Battle List
The referee will post a battle list to be completed in Phase 4.

Phase 4 – Battles
Upon the posting of the battle list, each player will arrange battles either with another player (or the referee, where the province in question is a minor state or as a result of a random event).

Each side in a battle fields an army of 400 points. Further points may be added as follows:
- War leader present +100 points
- Minor City +50
- Major City +100

Example: If the Selucids had attacked the Ptolemaic province of Judea, and neither side’s war leader was present a 400 vs 400 battle would take place.

Example: If Carthage attacked Rome itself, with their war leader (Hannibal) facing Rome and their war leader (Fabius, perhaps) a 500 vs 600 battle would ensue.

The results of battles (including the death or capture of war leaders), should be posted on the thread as soon as possible, within a three week window.

Upon the receipt of results, the turn ends.

The results of battles alter the ownership of provinces – the winner takes control of the province. In the event of the draw the province has a 50% chance of lapsing into neutrality as a local commander takes advantage of the chaos to assert independence (except in the case of capital cities, in which case the defender keeps control).

Other rules:

Army Lists:
Romans: Mid Republican Rome (early) for first 10 turns, then mid republican Rome (later)
Ptol. Egypt: Ptolemaic Successor for first 4 turns then Later Ptolemaic (Greek). Later Ptolemaic (Roman) available after a Later Ptolemaic (Greek) has fought Romans.
Selucids: Selucids Successor for first 4 turns, then LaterSelucids (pre 166BC)
Macedonians: Macedonian Successor for first four turns, then Later Macedonian
Carthage: Later Cathaginian (post-235), except in Italy* where Later Carthagian (in Italy) is used and in Africa** where later Carthaginian (in Africa) is used.

*: Italy composed of these provinces: 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 and 51.
**: Africa composed of these provinces: 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 (Roman Africa, rather than the modern continent).

Death or capture of war leader: If a player loses their war leader (either killed in battle or unit disappears when trapped in rout), each of that player’s provinces / cities has a 1 in 3 chance of reverting to neutrality, as subject peoples seize the moment for liberation or as local strong men emerge. That player does not have a war leader for the following turn (although will again, thereafter).

War Leader in battle: When a player’s war leader is present in battle, he must be represented by an Inspired General. The player should only deploy one Inspired General if his war leader is present.

Loss of capital city: If a player loses their capital city a further 1-3 provinces revert to neutrality.

If two or more players attack the same province: The referee will pm each attacking player and enquire if they want their attack to proceed. If players do not respond in 24 hours it is assumed that their forces, facing a complicated military and political situation, stand-down. All players whose attacks are proceeding and the owner of the province are then drawn in pairs to fight for this round by the referee. If there is an odd number, one faction present will not engage in battle this turn. If more than one army is still present at the end of Phase 4, the defending player keeps the ‘disputed province’.

Example: Macedonia, Carthage and Selucids all order attacks Egyptian province 50. Carthage, when informed of the presence of other armies, decides not to press the attack. Of the remaining 3 faction, Macedonia and Selucids are drawn. A battle ensues. However because Ptolemaic Egypt maintains their defensive force, the province remains theirs, regardless of outcome. Clear as mud, eh?

If players attack adjacent provinces: If players attack each others provinces which are adjacent to each other there is a 70% chance of the invading armies meeting on the border, each supported by their province’s garrison, which results in a 800-1000 vs 800-1000 battle (depending on the presence of cities and war leaders. The result of that battle then decides the fate of both provinces. The 70% chance is reduced by 10% for every other province (other than the one the player is defending that that player’s attacking army may have originated in.

Starting Provinces:

Major Powers
Rome:
Major City (Capital): 46
Minor City: None
Provinces: 52, 50, 48, 47, 45, 44, 53, 55

Macedonia
Major City (Capital): 12
Minor Cities: 13, 63
Provinces: none

Selucids
Major City (Capital): 4
Minor Citiy: 7
Provinces: 9, 8, 5, 18

Cathage
Major City (Capital): 29
Minor City: 36
Provinces: 26, 27, 28, 30, 34, 35, 37

Ptol. Egypt:
Major City (Capital): 21
Minor cities: none
Provinces: 25, 24, 23, 22, 19, 29, 17, 6, 10

Neutral Territories (unless additional players join)
33 – province – Numidians
32 – province – Numidians
31 – province – Numidians
62 – province – Galatians
1 – minor city – Pontus
11- minor city – Ipsos Successor
14 – major city – Greek (later Athenian)
54 – province – Illyrians
56 – province – Thracians
57 – province – Skythian
58 – province – Saka
43 – province – Gauls (Hill tribes)
40 – province – Gauls (Lowland tribes)
41 – province – Gauls (Lowland tribes)
42 – province – Gauls (Hill tribes)
39 – province – Celtiberians
38 – province – Lusitanians
15 – minor city – Greek (later Spartans)
16 – province – Greek
59 – minor city – Bosphoran
61 – province – Greek
60 – province – Parthians
51 – minor city – Later Syracuse
64 – minor city - Ipsos Successor
10 – minor city – Lych successor
3 – province – Armenians
2 – province – Galatians

Diplomacy
Two or more players may declare the following types of treaty:
1) Non-aggression Pact. The states declaring a non-aggression pact may not attack each other for 2 years. To do so (even accidentally, in the case of both attacking the same province and neither standing down – see ‘If two or more players attack the same province’), results in the attacking player / players having 1-3 provinces / cities revert to neutrality.
2) War on a common enemy. The states declaring a war on a common enemy must name that enemy. When both states attack the same province of the common enemy, only one of the states (randomly chosen by referee) fights the defender. If only armies from the two states remain in a province then that province is controlled by one of the two powers (randomly chosen), rather than being kept by the defending power as a ‘disputed province’.
Last edited by Jonah75 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turk1964
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Turk1964 »

Gday Jonah sign me up for the Macedonians Please.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Hi, Jonah. Put me down for the Seleucids (or Ptolemaic as a second choice).

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

We need 3 more starters to kick off the campaign. Could you two send pm your email addresses and I'll send you the map.
Greetings44
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Greetings44 »

Greetings Jonah

I'd like to try with Carthaginians, or failing that anyone but Romans.
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

2 more and we are away!
george123
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by george123 »

Hello, Jonah.

I'll take Ptolemaic Egypt

Neil
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

Welcome aboard! One more to go!
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

I'll take the Romans :-D
Ta
Ian
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

Brilliant - and we are off:
Turk - Macedonians
Chris / batesmotel - Selucids
Greetings - Carthage
George123 / Neil - Ptolemaic Egypt
Ian - Romans
Edit: ulysissgruntv- Pontus (minor power)

Caiko may join as well - if so he will be the Attalids as a minor power. Other people can join throughout the campaign as minor powers. Rather than via email, I thought I'd update the map on photobucket each turn - so hopefully this link works for you:

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag1 ... 1a5339.jpg

if not we can do the email after all.

So - on to orders - pm me with your orders. Example:

Rome:
Attacking 42 and 43
War Leader in 46

or

Ptolemaic Egypt
Naval Invasion - Attacking (with war leader) 4

Deadline for orders - fairly relaxed - hopefully in the next week, sooner I get them sooner I can post a list of battles / challenges. Also - if it is ok with you guys, I may randomly select one of the players to represent a non-player minor power in a battle if I am a bit busy. Let me know if you definitely don't want to be involved in this.

Good luck all!
Last edited by Jonah75 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings44

Post by Greetings44 »

Carthage Turn 1 orders in!

Cheers
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Macedonia Orders are in :twisted:
iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith »

Caesar has sent a crow :-)

Ian
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Antiochus has also dispatched a crow.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Too late to join?
Could I be a minor power?
Many thanks
Danny Weitz
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

Danny - not too late to join - how does Pontus sound as player minor power? If you don't mind you can represent non-player powers in some of their battles. Please send your order when you are ready.

Almost all other orders in - just one player remaining. I will post diplomatic news at the same time as the list of battles that need to be fought. The first random event will take place at the start of the second turn.
ulysisgrunt

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Pontus it is!
Danny Weitz
ulysisgrunt

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Can minor powers initiate movement?
That is, can they move into another province?
If so, what if it doea not have a player?
Danny Weitz
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

'2) A state is limited to a single attack and zero naval invasions until it controls four provinces (with the exception of Macedonia).'

So, Danny, you can only attack your neighbouring minor powers at the moment - but you may soon become a major power! The provinces you attack are defended by me or one of the other players on my behalf.

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”