Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Triarii
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: ”XV century AD – Mediterranean Campaign”

Post by Triarii »

Triarius wrote:The Court of His Most Catholic Highness Alfonso the Magnanimous
Court Circular
The forces of Aragon remain suunning themselves and munching olives and tomatos while disembarked in Calabria awaiting the attention of the minor officers of this poor state who are expected to eagerly embrace the cultural advantages and security to be had under the protection of Alfonso the Magnanimous.

The court announces a very succesful evacuation of Languedoc in the face of the methodical advance of Castille.
The court also announces the succesful and bloodless occupation of Murcia - the forces of Castille returning to Castille.

The court of Alfonso the Magnamimous announces the formal initiation of the All Catholic Orders Holy League (AlCOHoL).
This is an alliance of Castille and Aragon formed to promote and export the cultural benefits of the Inquisition to all compass points of the Middle Sea.
An endorsement is anticipated from Castille.

Action 1
LN Attack Sicily to Calabria (disembarked and awaits Calabrian commander on Thursday)
Action 2
TBC
After the Iberian agreement on AlCOHoL the second action for Aragon is
AMPH Attack Balearic Islands to Corsica
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Triarius wrote: After the Iberian agreement on AlCOHoL the second action for Aragon is
AMPH Attack Balearic Islands to Corsica
Sorry Mike, but you still have 2 actions in motion:
1) the diplomatic mission, though already accepted, will last until the 29th of september
2) the AM AT from Sicily to Calabria

So that only from the 30th of september you'll be able to launch this new attack.

By the way, the lotto draws of this evening were as follows:
Milano (batesmotel) 68
Cagliari (triarius) 59
Bari (iandavidsmith) 59

Becuase the rules say that:
"A player allied with another may not be chosen to lead an independent army against his ally."
the task of defending Calabria falls on Ian (again on the battlefield .. it's a period of overjob!) :lol:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Castile launches a Land Attack from Languedoc to Provence. 750 points, DM on, FoW off.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Lysimachos wrote:
Triarius wrote:
the task of defending Calabria falls on Ian (again on the battlefield .. it's a period of overjob!) :lol:

Again , wow , i am so popular , i don't need to launch any attacks :-D
Triarii

Post by Triarii »

iandavidsmith wrote:
Lysimachos wrote:
Triarius wrote:

Again , wow , i am so popular , i don't need to launch any attacks :-D
Hi Ian
750 points FoW on DM on pw = tomatos

And can I have your autograph now you are achieving such popularity.
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

The Venetian fleet has set sail to the waters in front of the island of Crete in order to thwart the landing attempt of the Hafsid forces.
Every sailor and marine embarked on the ships is conscious that in this supreme hour the destiny of the Republic will be written in blood with the courage and skill of every men.
In Venice a night of prayers has been declared and all the churches and parishes are full of people.

This evening the result of the naval encounter will be probably brought to the city ..
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by ericdoman1 »

1st action retake Emilia from the unorthodox Byzantines, attacking from Liguria

It was part of the Milanese homeland and an invasion from a "pagan" force can not be allowed, 550pts

(Without trawling through the large numbers of posts, Pete, mentioned something about the Byzantines using Swiss?, how? If I am to customize my army (very difficult) what do I knwo of the Byzantine forces).

2nd action renew diplomatic alliance with Venice
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ericdoman1 wrote:1st action retake Emilia from the unorthodox Byzantines, attacking from Liguria

It was part of the Milanese homeland and an invasion from a "pagan" force can not be allowed, 550pts

(Without trawling through the large numbers of posts, Pete, mentioned something about the Byzantines using Swiss?, how? If I am to customize my army (very difficult) what do I knwo of the Byzantine forces).
Eric, the home army of Emilia is the Free Company so that is who you will be fighting, I think. I lost Emilia to the Florentines, not the Byzantines, and the Florentines can have up to twenty Swiss BG's.
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

My goodness, there is a lot to read through. Emilia was part of Milan at the beginning so if you had attacked with that does it mean you could have used the Free Company?

I am way over my head (but will perservere), my printer is kaput, which would prob be the best thing to do is to print off all of the info (or most relevant).

Cheers Pete but reclaiming part of Milan sounds reasonably feasible? Although a 550pt Free Company army is gonna be tough, never lost with them when I have used them (big 1000pt battles, mainly vs Swiss). Intereseting as well in that Florence has predominantly hw rather than pike?
iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith »

ericdoman1 wrote:My goodness, there is a lot to read through. Emilia was part of Milan at the beginning so if you had attacked with that does it mean you could have used the Free Company?

I am way over my head (but will perservere), my printer is kaput, which would prob be the best thing to do is to print off all of the info (or most relevant).

Cheers Pete but reclaiming part of Milan sounds reasonably feasible? Although a 550pt Free Company army is gonna be tough, never lost with them when I have used them (big 1000pt battles, mainly vs Swiss). Intereseting as well in that Florence has predominantly hw rather than pike?
Hi Eric ,
Heres the way i see it....

You are making a land attack from Liguria to Emilia .
Emilia is a independent province recently liberated so their army would be free company , the player will be decided by a lottery .
You would be using Milan as your army , as Liguria is a Milan controlled province.

Because Emilia was originally Milan controlled province, Pete used his Milan Army against the Florentine that was
attacking from Tuscany , being an independent province

Hope that helps...
and hope i got it right :D

Cheers
Ian
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Thanks Ian.

Yep makes sense. Without googling was't the first woman who flew single handedly across the Atlantic Emilia/Amilia E...hart?
iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith »

Yes ,
Amelia Earhart
i think
Ian
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ericdoman1 wrote:Cheers Pete but reclaiming part of Milan sounds reasonably feasible? Although a 550pt Free Company army is gonna be tough, never lost with them when I have used them (big 1000pt battles, mainly vs Swiss). Intereseting as well in that Florence has predominantly hw rather than pike?
Not sure really, Eric. It was beyond me with the Milanese as I counted avoiding a strategic defeat in any battle as a victory! :oops: To recapture Emilia you will need a strategic win, a tactical win will not get you back the province. I would not be able to beat any of the players in this competition in a Milanese v Free Company match-up, let alone win a strategic victory, but you might manage it. Florence can have loads of Swiss pike and will slaughter the Milanese. I doubt that you could avoid defeat in a match-up like that.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Castile builds fortifications in Andalusia. The Rock of Gibraltar must never fall!

Chris
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

iandavidsmith wrote: Hi Eric ,
Heres the way i see it....

You are making a land attack from Liguria to Emilia .
Emilia is a independent province recently liberated so their army would be free company , the player will be decided by a lottery .
You would be using Milan as your army , as Liguria is a Milan controlled province.

Because Emilia was originally Milan controlled province, Pete used his Milan Army against the Florentine that was
attacking from Tuscany , being an independent province

Hope that helps...
and hope i got it right :D

Cheers
Ian
Perfectly right, Ian! :D
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

stockwellpete wrote:
ericdoman1 wrote:Cheers Pete but reclaiming part of Milan sounds reasonably feasible? Although a 550pt Free Company army is gonna be tough, never lost with them when I have used them (big 1000pt battles, mainly vs Swiss). Intereseting as well in that Florence has predominantly hw rather than pike?
Not sure really, Eric. It was beyond me with the Milanese as I counted avoiding a strategic defeat in any battle as a victory! :oops: To recapture Emilia you will need a strategic win, a tactical win will not get you back the province. I would not be able to beat any of the players in this competition in a Milanese v Free Company match-up, let alone win a strategic victory, but you might manage it. Florence can have loads of Swiss pike and will slaughter the Milanese. I doubt that you could avoid defeat in a match-up like that.
As a start, I suspect that smaller battles with the Milanese willl fair better than larger ones. If the Florentines don't have unlimited points to bring pikes to a lance fight, they won't be quite so fearsome.

Chris
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Waiting the outcome of the naval encounter with the Hafsid navy the Minor Council felt the need to proclaim that every expectation laid in the hand of the Lord, so it was proclaimed the building of a new church in Attica.
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

stockwellpete wrote: Some of these ideas I have already spoken to Lysimachos about but I'll put them here now for wider consideration. I think there are two things missing from the campaign at the moment . . .

i) it should cost money to fight battles, use navies and make "allied" attacks on your enemies. Maybe something like 100 ducats to equip an army for a battle; 50 ducats to mobilise the fleet, either to fight an enemy fleet or to transport an army for an overseas attack; and maybe 50 ducats to sponsor an "allied" attack.

ii) the game needs a more detailed political instability rule that would allow a "civil war" within a power that was performing badly. The current stability rating could have a trigger point (maybe at 5 or 6) where a civil war would be initiated and a second trigger point could be if a player (using his own faction's army, not including allied attacks) suffered consecutive strategic defeats - in this case, the stability rating of the power would not be taken into account at all. Once a "civil war" had been established you could either use the lottery draw to see if the incumbent ruler survived or whether there was a change of ruler or you could require the player to fight a DAG battle against another player drawn by the lottery (both players using the same DAG army) to resolve the conflict. If the ruler is overthrown (defeated in the battle, drawswould be replayed) then all the provinces that he has conquered previously would revert to independent status (including any he may have conquered from other players). If he is successful his empire remains intact but he is penalised 100 ducats (or more) to represent the damage done to his territory. Note: defeat would not mean the human player would be required to leave the game, it would just mean that his power had undergone political change.

Other suggestions . . .

iii) Building an Academy should be required before diplomatic activity can take place. At the moment a player is allowed three diplomatic agreements at any one time. I would alter this by distinguishing between "diplomatic agreements" and "trade agreements" (building a Merchant's Quarter would still be necessary for these) in future. Players could still be allowed a maximum of three "diplomatic agreements" but they could make an unlimited number of trade agreements. This would help to generate more income in the game to enable players to cope with suggestions i) and ii).

iv) The random event chart for the lottery draw on the first of the month could be revised slightly to allow players the chance to gain bigger financial bonuses e.g. 100 ducats instead of 25 or 50.

v) either a player may only make one attack per campaign with any "allied" power or a player may only make attacks with an "allied" power until such time as that ally is defeated (signalling the breakdown of the relationship). This would prevent unrealistic repeat attacks.

EDIT: just one other thought. Possibly, the stability level of a power should only be affected by strategic defeats (routs) and not tactical defeats (ordered withdrawals).
Interesting ideas also here!
Going with order:

1) I've already explained my aversion about this rule given the fact that attacks already are very expensive in point of time consummation and risk.

2) a stability check may be of course be inserted in the rules and could also work well. I'd prefer anyway to link it only to the stability level (it's easier to manage).
Then a civil war battle against his own army led by another player randomly chosen could be the best solution, with the dissolving of the nation in case of defeat, the survival and the loss of 100 ducats in case of draw and that of 50 ducats in case of victory. Obviously until the battle wouldn't be finished the player wouldn't be allowed to make any other action

3) I agree that academy should be required for some kind of diplomatic agreement but, in order of not making thier construction substantially mandatory, I would limit this feature to the signing of Mutual Defence Agreements and Alliances

4) No problem in amending slightly the financial bonuses of random events

5) Maybe, instead of imposing limit of this kind, we could imagine only for this kind of attack (allied) a little cost of 25 ducats.
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Having 3 actions in motion that need a lottery draw to be decided in their outcome I wish to point out that, following their chronological order:

1) the 1st number of the wheels will determine the outcome of the naval encounter between the Hafsids and venetians
2) the 2nd number of the wheels will determine which player will lead the Provencal army vs the Castilians
3) the 3rd number of the wheels will determine which will lead the Emilian army vs the Milanese
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith »

Lysimachos wrote:Having 3 actions in motion that need a lottery draw to be decided in their outcome I wish to point out that, following their chronological order:

1) the 1st number of the wheels will determine the outcome of the naval encounter between the Hafsids and venetians
2) the 2nd number of the wheels will determine which player will lead the Provencal army vs the Castilians
3) the 3rd number of the wheels will determine which will lead the Emilian army vs the Milanese
I might be the only person on the planet that dose not want
To win the lottery :mrgreen:

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”