Forum for campaigns based around the Field of Glory digital version

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: To Forge an Empire

Post by batesmotel »

Radio wrote:
macsen wrote:Don't forget to mention if you use mercs.

Sorry, we were both using mercs! I'll edit the battle result.
Note that you may only use Mercs when attacking, not when defending. (I asked Keyth this at some point in the forum since it wasn't clear to me.) So you should not be able to have a battle where both sides are using mercs.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Radio
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Radio »

batesmotel wrote:
Note that you may only use Mercs when attacking, not when defending. (I asked Keyth this at some point in the forum since it wasn't clear to me.) So you should not be able to have a battle where both sides are using mercs.

Chris
I can't seem to find this discussion in this thread or the rules discussion thread. The only mention of restrictions to merc armies that I see in the rules is that they can only be used once per season.

If their is a general understanding that mercs can only be used in attacks that I wasn't aware of then I'll happily replay the game with a legal army (As I was the defender).
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

I have played my four games, having won three of them. One of those was against keyth. Do I replay that against his replacement?

Deeter
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Radio wrote:
batesmotel wrote:

Chris
I can't seem to find this discussion in this thread or the rules discussion thread. The only mention of restrictions to merc armies that I see in the rules is that they can only be used once per season.

If their is a general understanding that mercs can only be used in attacks that I wasn't aware of then I'll happily replay the game with a legal army (As I was the defender).
Actually the note is in Keyth's To Tame a Land Redux thread where he first added the mercenaries rule:
keyth wrote:
batesmotel wrote:As a dumb question, can foreign mercenaries be hired for defense or only used in an attack? Keth's note seem to imply using them for an invasion but figured I would double check.

Chris
The intent was for them to be used on the offensive, but I'd agree that the wording was pretty vague! :)
But I'm pretty sure he intended them to work the same for TFaE as well.

Chris
DarkOmen
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by DarkOmen »

I asked that same question and his answer to me in PM was that the restrictions of the mercs where only that they had to be changed every year and so that you couldn't use your SUPER Army EVERY game...OR, that you had sucha different army as to confuse the opponent.
DarkOmen

Post by DarkOmen »

Deeter, Yes, it seems you do. I was ahead and had killed his commander and was told ALL games whould have to be played over...completed or not. I think It is on here somewhere... :(
Turk1964
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Turk1964 »

Thats interesting i played Keyth aswell so those points dont count so i guess i would have to play his replacement.That may make it a bit confusing if Fedem has challanged anyone.Best we wait to see what Macsen has to say :roll:
DarkOmen

Post by DarkOmen »

I am playing him now...we are in turn 12 or something
DarkOmen

Post by DarkOmen »

GrudgeBringer (Classical Spartan) 16/32 / Fedem (Greeks) 40/40 Greek Camp Looted

No Commanders lost either side.

Fedem got very unlucky on the terrain draw and really had no where to fight from with his MF. It was Very close for 11 turns or so, and then the Spartan HF engaged and pulled ahead. The Greeks made a late dash but was fended off. Very good game, closer than the score indicated.
Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Fedem »

Fedem Helenistic Achaian 10/44 vs phlewis Ipsos Alliance Successor 34/33

No camps looted

No commanders lost either side

Despite loosing initiative the terrain was proper for Medium foot action on some places and we were able to fight there. We outnumbered the enemy mediums on the left flank and on the right. In here the Thorakitai helped by some Armored Cavalry were able to prevail and outflank the enemy. Our Pikes only engaged theirs when had a chance of winning.
Fortunately we were able to avoid the Elite Phalangites and Veteran Xystophoroi of the enemy.

That was my second attack. So I do not if I must defend against someone.

Cheers!
Last edited by Fedem on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

GrudgeBringer wrote:GrudgeBringer (Classical Spartan) 16/32 / Fedem (Greeks) 40/40 Greek Camp Looted

No Commanders lost either side.

Fedem got very unlucky on the terrain draw and really had no where to fight from with his MF. It was Very close for 11 turns or so, and then the Spartan HF engaged and pulled ahead. The Greeks made a late dash but was fended off. Very good game, closer than the score indicated.
Well playe Grudge. I was doing well while I avoided combat. Then I was fully enough to engage before reaching the 2 or 3 hexes with bad ground :)

Cheers!
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Fedem i have posted a challange for you . Not sure what armies you are using so this will be pot luck. Password=Fedem

Cheers Turk
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Hellenistic. Saka mercs.

Change it if yu like.

Cheers!
macsen
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by macsen »

deeter wrote:I have played my four games, having won three of them. One of those was against keyth. Do I replay that against his replacement?

Deeter
Yes you do, against Fedem.
macsen

Post by macsen »

Fedem wrote:Fedem 10/44 vs phlewis 34/33

No camps looted

No commanders lost either side

Despite loosing initiative the terrain was proper for Medium foot action on some places and we were able to fight there. We outnumbered the enemy mediums on the left flank and on the right. In here the Thorakitai helped by some Armored Cavalry were able to prevail and outflank the enemy. Our Pikes only engaged theirs when had a chance of winning.
Fortunately we were able to avoid the Elite Phalangites and Veteran Xystophoroi of the enemy.

That was my second attack. So I do not if I must defend against someone.

Cheers!
Please include armies used when reporting results.

macsen
macsen

Post by macsen »

In answer to the merc problem the rules are quite explicit "Any list may be used in each attack (with the exception of the mercenary list which can be used once per season)". Hopefully that clarifies it for everyone, but please make sure you put in what army list you used and that of your opponent, so that I can keep track of what armies people are using. And using "Greeks" as a description really doesn't help :lol: .

For the problem of people who were meant to challenge keyth, challenge Fedem instead, Fedem has already played the two players keyth was going to challenge.

Cheers

macsen
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Hellenistic. Saka mercs.

Change it if yu like.

Cheers!Fedem

Thats ok im fine with Sakas.I just didnt know what region you were :)
Cheers Turk
DarkOmen

Post by DarkOmen »

You might ask Fedem about which army it was as it actually said 'Greeks' only in the game.

Sorry, I thought it was a little strange but not knowing all the armies I just went with it... :?
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

batesmotel: Early Getae 47/49
iandavidsmith: Graeco-Bactrian 31/31

A very hard fought battle where Graeco-Bactrian quality almost made up for the Getae numbers. No camps were looted and I believe the Bactrians lost one general but not certain. (One Bactrian FC left at end.) The Getae IC was in rout at the end but still alive so not lost. No camps were looted.

Chris
deeter

Post by deeter »

I've posted a challenge for fedem (or whoever took over for keyth.) PW: deeter

Good lulck.

Deeter

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”