Jonah75
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

The War for Civilisation

Post by Jonah75 »

The War for Civilisation

This Campaign is open - pm me to join

Introduction:
This is a campaign, ideally for 5 players, but can be played with more. It represents the period immediately prior to the second Punic War, around 217BC.

Each player takes to role of one of the great powers (Macedonia, the Selucids, Ptolemaic Egypt, Rome and Cathage). When played with more players, additional players take the role of Permangon, the Aetolian League, Pontus, Numidia and The Achaean League, in that order, with a maximum of 10 players.

Joining the Campaign:
1) Additional players may join during a campaign, and are allocated a minor power at the discretion of the referee.
2) A state is limited to a single attack and zero naval invasions until it controls four provinces (with the exception of Macedonia).
3) Additional rules can be suggested by the referee during a campaign, implemented if agreed by a simple majority of players.

Aim of the Game:
The game can end in several ways:
1) Exhaustion brings peace: from the fifth round onwards there is a steadily increasing random chance of the game ending. In the 5th round this is a 1%, 6th a 4% chance, 7th a 7% chance, 8th round a 10% chance, and so on until game termination.

When ‘exhaustion brings peace’ the rank order (with highest winning the game) is decide by the following point allocation:
- 1 point for each province held
- 3 points for each minor city held
- 5 points for each major city held
- 1 point for every battle won
- 5 points for slaying an enemy war leader (see Death or Capture of a War Leader)

2) Dominant power imposes peace: If a power fulfils one of the following criteria, the game ends immediately and that player wins:
- 22 provinces (including major and minor cities) held
- 3 major power capitals held

Game Turn Order

Phase 1 – Map Update and Random Event
The referee will post updated province lists on the campaign thread, and post the random event for the turn.

Random Events Table:

1-30 – Nothing Happens
31-36 – Marriage strengthens ties. Two players are randomly selected. Those two players may not attack each other for 3 turns.
37-41 – Assassin strikes. One randomly selected player endures ‘death or capture of war leader event’.
42-46 – Patriotic surge. Two randomly selected players have +50 to their armies this turn.
47-52 – Famine. One randomly selected player’s armies suffer -50 to their armies this turn.
53-59 - Winds of change. 1-6 provinces revert to minor power status.
60-65 – Enraged by massacres! One randomly determined player may only launch attacks at another randomly determined player this turn.
66-71 – Rough seas. No naval invasions this turn.
72-76 – Fortifications strengthened. One randomly selected player may add +50 to all armies which are defending this turn.
77-80 – War frenzy. Each player may launch 3 instead or 2 attacks or 2 naval invasions instead of one.
81-99 – Barbarians! – Gauls, Germans, Scythians, Arabs or some other group attacks one province – the referee to post details.
00 – Barbarian Horde! – Huge numbers of Gauls, Germans, Scythians, Arabs or some other group attacks a number of provinces – the referee to post details.

Phase 2 – Orders
The order phase takes place simultaneously for all players. In their order phase each player may order attacks on two provinces which they share a land border with, or one naval invasion on a province they do not share a land border with. Even provinces separated by narrow straits of water (33 to 34, 48 to 50, 9 to 63 and 11 to 63) require a naval invasion order.

In the order phase, each player chooses where their war leader will be in the action phase of that turn (see ‘war leaders’, below).

An order will be sent as a pm to the referee, and a three day window will exist for orders to be pm’ed.

Phase 3 – Battle List
The referee will post a battle list to be completed in Phase 4.

Phase 4 – Battles
Upon the posting of the battle list, each player will arrange battles either with another player (or the referee, where the province in question is a minor state or as a result of a random event).

Each side in a battle fields an army of 400 points. Further points may be added as follows:
- War leader present +100 points
- Minor City +50
- Major City +100

Example: If the Selucids had attacked the Ptolemaic province of Judea, and neither side’s war leader was present a 400 vs 400 battle would take place.

Example: If Cathage attacked Rome itself, with their war leader (Hannibal) facing Rome and their war leader (Fabius, perhaps) a 500 vs 600 battle would ensue.

The results of battles (including the death or capture of war leaders), should be posted on the thread as soon as possible, within a three week window.

Upon the receipt of results, the turn ends.

Other rules:

Army Lists:
Romans: Mid Republican Rome (early) for first 10 turns, then mid republican Rome (later)
Ptol. Egypt: Ptolemaic Successor for first 4 turns then Later Ptolemaic (Greek). Later Ptolemaic (Roman) available after a Later Ptolemaic (Greek) has fought Romans.
Selucids: Selucids Successor for first 4 turns, then LaterSelucids (pre 166BC)
Macedonians: Macedonian Successor for first four turns, then Later Macedonian
Cathage: Later Cathaginian (post-235), except in Italy* where Later Cathagian (in Italy) is used and in Africa** where later Cathaginian (in Africa) is used.

*: Italy composed of these provinces: 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 and 51.
**: Africa composed of these provinces: 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 (Roman Africa, rather than the modern continent).

Death or capture of war leader: If a player loses their war leader (either killed in battle or unit disappears when trapped in rout), each of that player’s provinces / cities has a 1 in 3 chance of reverting to neutrality, as subject peoples seize the moment for liberation or as local strong men emerge. That player does not have a war leader for the following turn (although will again, thereafter).

War Leader in battle: When a player’s war leader is present in battle, he must be represented by an Inspired General. The player should only deploy one Inspired General if his war leader is present.

Loss of capital city: If a player loses their capital city a further 1-3 provinces revert to neutrality.

If two or more players attack the same province: The referee will pm each attacking player and enquire if they want their attack to proceed. If players do not respond in 24 hours it is assumed that their forces, facing a complicated military and political situation, stand-down. All players whose attacks are proceeding and the owner of the province are then drawn in pairs to fight for this round by the referee. If there is an odd number, one faction present will not engage in battle this turn. If more than one army is still present at the end of Phase 4, the defending player keeps the ‘disputed province’.

Example: Macedonia, Cathage and Selucids all order attacks Egyptian province 50. Cathage, when informed of the presence of other armies, decides not to press the attack. Of the remaining 3 faction, Macedonia and Selucids are drawn. A battle ensues. However because Ptolemaic Egypt maintains their defensive force, the province remains theirs, regardless of outcome. Clear as mud, eh?

Starting Provinces:

Major Powers
Rome:
Major City (Capital): 46
Minor City: None
Provinces: 52, 50, 48, 47, 45, 44, 53, 55

Macedonia
Major City (Capital): 12
Minor Cities: 13, 63
Provinces: none

Selucids
Major City (Capital): 4
Minor Citiy: 7
Provinces: 9, 8, 5, 18

Cathage
Major City (Capital): 29
Minor City: 36
Provinces: 26, 27, 28, 30, 34, 35, 37

Ptol. Egypt:
Major City (Capital): 21
Minor cities: none
Provinces: 25, 24, 23, 22, 19, 29, 17, 6, 10

Neutral Territories (unless additional players join)
33 – province – Numidians
32 – province – Numidians
31 – province – Numidians
62 – province – Galatians
1 – minor city – Pontus
11- minor city – Greek
14 – major city – Greek (later Athenian)
54 – province – Illyrians
56 – province – Thracians
57 – province – not sure yet
58 – province – not sure yet
43 – province – Gauls
40 – province – Gauls
41 – province – Gauls
39 – province – Celtiberians
38 – province – Lusitanians
15 – minor city – Greek (later Spartans)
16 – province – Greek
59 – minor city – Bosphoran
61 – province – Greek
60 – province – Parthians
51 – minor city – Greek

Optional Rules

Diplomacy
Two or more players may declare the following types of treaty:
1) Non-aggression Pact. The states declaring a non-aggression pact may not attack each other for 2 years. To do so (even accidentally, in the case of both attacking the same province and neither standing down – see ‘If two or more players attack the same province’), results in the attacking player / players having 1-3 provinces / cities revert to neutrality.
2) War on a common enemy. The states declaring a war on a common enemy must name that enemy. When both states attack the same province of the common enemy, only one of the states (randomly chosen by referee) fights the defender. If only armies from the two states remain in a province then that province is controlled by one of the two powers (randomly chosen), rather than being kept by the defending power as a ‘disputed province’.
Last edited by Jonah75 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Turk1964
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: The War for Civilisation

Post by Turk1964 »

Gday Jonah the rules look ok to me :D So sign me up for the Seleucids please.

Cheers Turk
Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Fedem »

Sounds interesting. The Army of Carthage to be used is the Post 235BC and/or the Later Carthaginian in Africa could also be used?

Tks!
Aristides
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Aristides »

Cool! I'll play SPQR, please.

Consul Aritistius
‘I go North, to the swords and the siege,
That yet for a while rivers may run clean and birds build their nests,
Ere Night comes.’
Tiavals
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by Tiavals »

I sent a PM before posting here, I guess I should have posted and claimed me a nation. :(

I guess I'll take the Macedonians, if we're going to choose. If it wasn't apparent, I'll be joining. ;)

Oh, and is it Later Macedonia or Macedonian Successor or what?

Overall, what are the exact armies we're using?
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

T, you'll be using the Macedonian Panzies, the list with 20 compulsory Poor Mob that cost 20 APs each...
Ere Night comes.’
Tiavals

Post by Tiavals »

Hah, even such an army is enough to crush you. Which I will immediately do for your insult!
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

[From the Roman Ambassador in Pella:]
You make a grave mistake, Greekling, to insult the Senate and People of Rome.
Beware lest your nattering reach the ears of that august body and those noble people else a small army will be sent to subjugate you and your people.

Begone now, and return to your cave or hut or wherever you abide and do not annoy us further...
Ere Night comes.’
Tiavals

Post by Tiavals »

I am no greek, but a Macedonian! Perhaps you Etrusceans don't know the difference.

(Let's wait to see if we can even choose our nations instead of a random distribution before more banter. ;))
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

Romans: Mid Republican Rome (early) for first 10 turns, then mid republican Rome (later)
Ptol. Egypt: Ptolemaic Successor for first 4 turns then Later Ptolemaic (Greek). Later Ptolemaic (Roman) available after a Later Ptolemaic (Greek) has fought Romans.
Selucids:Selucids Successor for first 4 turns, then LaterSelucids (pre 166BC)
Macedonians: Macedonian Successor for first four turns, then Later Macedonian
Cathage: Later Cathaginian (post-235), except in Italy where Later Cathagian (in Italy) is used and in Africa where later Cathaginian (in Africa) is used.
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

All we need is one more player for Ptolemaic Egypt and we can get started. Please pm with email addresses so I can email you the map.
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

Rules ammeded slightly
Last edited by Jonah75 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

I'd play, but I only have the RoR expansion, so that limits me to Carthage or Rome I think. I don't think the Ptolemaic Successor is available in RoR :(

This seems like a really good way of making a mini-campaign work, so I'll be interested to see the results even if I don't play. Either way, good luck with the game!
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

If no-one objects, you could be Ptols with RoR army lists only: Later Ptolemaic (Greek). Later Ptolemaic (Roman) available after a Later Ptolemaic (Greek) has fought Romans. PM me with email address to recieve map.
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Oh ive realised i will need Immortal Fire and at the momment its the only expansion i cant get to work since my computer crash.I have to do a full delete and redown load to get it to work(Maybe) Hope this wont be a problem :?

Cheers Turk.
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

Turk1964 wrote:Oh ...
Have you asked Slith? Maybe they could give you a new code - they must have a record of your having paid...
Ere Night comes.’
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Yep thats how i got them all back IF needs to be reloaded but i have to reinstall and put each expansion on 1 at a time in order.IF is the only expansion i had trouble with.I will try it on the weekend but its very time consuming and chews up my internet usage. Thats why im not to keen to do it just yet.IF is one of my favourite expansions to :roll:
Tiavals

Post by Tiavals »

So, when do we begin?

Are we going to wait for surplus players or begin as soon as possible?

I presume the War Leader means an Inspired General, since he can be slain in battle? You can have one only if you take the war leader with you, yes?

Does the degree of victory matter at all?
Jonah75

Post by Jonah75 »

We start as soon as we have at least 5 confirmed players. So far:
Rome: Aristades
Macedonia: Tiavals
Selucids: Turk1964
Ptolemaics: Morbio
Cathage: EMPTY

War Leader should be represented in battle by an Inspired General - and when he is with an army, he should be the only inspired general - thanks for clearing that up, Tiavals.

Degree of victory doesn't matter at all. We can always admend the rules after a few rounds, when everyone has got the hang of it.
Last edited by Jonah75 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

And Morbio? I'm sure none of us mind that he will use the army(ies) from RoR...

"Does the degree of victory matter at all?"

Looks like it's simply a matter of owning provinces/cities - each battle won gives you a new province or means you keep one you already own. Nice n simple, imo.

"I presume the War Leader means an Inspired General, since he can be slain in battle? You can have one only if you take the war leader with you, yes?"

Good Q: are the presence of WL and what kind of general one takes ih a battle connected or not? E.g., I may attack a province and wish my WL there for the extra 100 APs but prefer to not spend actual pts on an IG.
Ere Night comes.’

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”