Two-player War of the Roses campaign . . .

Forum for campaigns based around the Field of Glory digital version

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Two-player War of the Roses campaign . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

I have been play-testing this campaign with RussProv over the past few weeks with considerable success and I am looking for another player to play-test the game with me. Preferably it will be someone at a similar skill level to myself (Div B in LOEG) so that we get a balanced campaign. A campaign will probably involve between 10-12 battles and could probably take 6-8 weeks to complete. Is there anyone out there who is interested in giving this a go?

Basically what I have done with the campaign is to divide the Wars of the Roses (WotR) into a series of twenty three episodes between 1459 and 1487. I have excluded the two battles at St Albans (1455 and 1461) at this stage as it is very difficult to represent town fighting in FOG at the moment. Each episode has a potential battle at its centre (these are edited versions of my WotR series of scenarios) and the result of the battle determines which episode you move to next. The central theme of the campaign is the struggle to control the Crown outright and victory points are awarded at various stages of the campaign for being the outright monarch - victory points are also awarded for winning battles (and one siege scenario) and for killing enemy nobles and royals. Each faction has 5 royal candidates and 15 commanders (I may reduce this to 12 in due course). There are also pursuit and execution rules for the ends of battles.

It still needs some fine-tuning and maybe the allocation of victory points needs balancing a bit more, but the campaign in all its essentials is ready to play. :wink:
Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Fedem »

You only need FOG?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Fedem wrote:You only need FOG?
Yes, FOG and SOA - and then I need to e-mail out the rules which you can print off for yourself. It looks a lot at first but it is actually quite simple once you get going. I hope to play-test it against three different people before I put "Version 1" on Dropbox. RussProv is playing at the moment and we will be having a re-match after a short break. TGM seems quite interested too. Are you interested Fedem?
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Yes, I could try it.

tks
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Fedem wrote:Yes, I could try it.

tks
OK, give me a week or so to finish off my campaign with RussProv - then we'll update a few bits and pieces and then I will be ready to start the second play-test. If you can PM me your e-mail address then I can send you the paperwork. There are about fifteen pages to print off but only one of those pages are rules. Most of them are "episode sheets", that is a narrative of the various events that may happen in the course of the campaign.

In the campaign with Russ, the Lancastrians have been very successful so far and Henry VI ruled until his death of old age in 1483. Edward Plantagenet, the Yorkist claimant to the throne was killed in one of the early battles and so never became Edward IV as he did in real life. In our campaign, Prince Edward of Westminster, the son of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou succeeded his father in 1483, but now he is facing a very serious Yorkist rebellion.
Last edited by stockwellpete on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

:) nice!
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Myself and Fedem have just finished a very enjoyable second play-test of my two-player Wars of the Roses campaign game. I feel it went very smoothly and there were no major hiccups although I now have a number of new ideas to consider and a few minor alterations to make. I thought that some of you might like to see the way the campaign developed . . .

War of the Roses campaign (Nov/Dec 2011)

Episode 1 Blore Heath 1459

Lancastrians – Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York; Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury.

L 28/40 beat Y 32/30. Successful pursuit. Richard Plantagenet ransomed, Richard Neville executed.

Lancastrians 10pts Yorkists 0.

Episode 4 Northampton 1460

Lancastrians – Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; Thomas de Ros of Helmsley; John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; William Neville, Lord Fauconberg.

L38/50 beat Y 55/55. John Talbot killed in battle.

Lancastrians 10pts Yorkists 2. Match score 20-2.

Episode 8 Yorkist rebellion battle 1461 (350pts DAG)

Lancastrians – Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; James Butler, Earl of Wiltshire.

Yorkists – Lord William Hastings; William Neville, Lord Fauconberg.

Y 28/30 beat L 36/33.

Yorkists 5pts Lancastrians 0. Match score 7-20.

Episode 10 Ferrybridge 1461

Lancastrians – Henry Holland, Duke of Exeter; Thomas de Ros, Baron of Helmsley.

Yorkists - Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; William Neville, Lord Fauconberg.

L 16/30 beat Y 44/40. Successful pursuit. Edward Plantagenet ransomed, Richard Neville and William Neville both executed.

Lancastrians 10pts Yorkists 0. Match score 30-7.

Episode 11 Towton 1461

Lancastrians – Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; Henry Holland, Duke of Exeter; Thomas de Ros of Helmsley.

Yorkists – Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York; Lord William Hastings; William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.

Y 25/45 beat L 60/55. Humphrey Stafford killed in battle. Successful pursuit. Henry Holland executed, Thomas de Ros ransomed. Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York crowned king.

Yorkists 14pts Lancastrians 0. Match score 21-30.

Episode 12 Siege of Bamburgh Castle 1464

Lancastrians – James Butler, Earl of Wiltshire.

Yorkists – Lord William Hastings.

L 8/10 drew with Y 8/20

Lancastrians 0 Yorkists 0. Match score 30-21.

Episode 13 Hedgeley Moor 1464

Lancastrians – Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset.

Yorkists – John Neville, Marquess of Montagu.

Y 17/35 beat L 36/35. Henry Beaufort killed in battle.

Yorkists 10pts Lancastrians 0. Match score 31-30.

Episode 17
John Neville, Marquis of Montagu; Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland; George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence – all defect to the Lancastrians.

Edgcote Moor 1469

Lancastrians – John Neville, (former Marquis of Montagu).

Yorkists – William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.

Y 27/41 beat L 39/39. John Neville killed in battle.

Yorkists 7pts Lancastrians 0. Match score 38-30.

Episode 18
Lancastrians re-crown Henry VI as king. George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence returns to the Yorkist faction.

Episode 19 Barnet 1471

Lancastrians – Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland; Thomas Courtenay, Earl of Devon; Thomas de Ros of Helmsley.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Richard Plantagenet, Duke of Gloucester; George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence.

L 37/45 beat 45/45.

Lancastrian 10pts Yorkists 0. Match score 40-38.

Episode 20 Tewkesbury 1471

Lancastrians - Prince Edward of Westminster; Jasper Tudor; Thomas Courtenay, Earl of Devon.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Richard Plantagenet, Duke of Gloucester; Lord William Hastings.

L 13/30 beat Y 30/30. Prince Edward killed in battle. Richard Plantagenet, Duke of Gloucester killed in battle. Henry VI rules until his death in 1483.

Lancastrians 15pts Yorkists 5pts. Match score 55-43.

Episode 22 Yorkist rebellion battle 1483 (350pts DAG)

Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset is crowned king by the Lancastrians.

Lancastrians - Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland; Thomas Courtenay, Earl of Devon.

Yorkists – Lord William Hastings; Lord Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby.

L 19/33 beat Y 33/33. Thomas Courtenay killed in battle. Lord William Hastings killed in battle.

Lancastrians 7pts Yorkists 2pts. Match score 62-45.

Episode 25 Stoke Field 1487

Lancastrians – Edmund Beaufort, King of England; Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland; John de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

Yorkists – John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln; George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence; Lord Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby.

L25/50 beat Y 49/45. Henry Percy killed in battle.

Lancastrians 5pts Yorkists 2. Match score 67-47.

Crown points won during campaign

Lancastrians – 1459, 1460, 1483, 1487 = 8 points

Yorkists – 1464, 1469 = 4 points

Final match score – Lancastrians 75 Yorkists 51.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Nice! :)

I recommend the Campaign to anyone interested in the period and willing to have something different through FOG. You learn history too :)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Thanks very much, Fedem. :wink:

Just a bit more information on our campaign . . .

Fate of the historical characters in the campaign

Lancastrian royals
Henry VI died of old age in 1483
Prince Edward of Westminster killed in 1471 at Tewkesbury
Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset killed in 1464 at Hedgeley Moor
Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset crowned King in 1483 and still alive in 1487
Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond still alive in 1487

Yorkist royals
Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York died of old age in 1475
Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March still alive in 1487
Edmund, Earl of Rutland still alive in 1487
George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence still alive in 1487
Richard Plantagenet, of Gloucester killed in 1471 at Tewkesbury

Lancastrian commanders
Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham killed at Towton 1461
John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury killed at Northampton 1460
Henry Holland, Duke of Exeter executed after Towton 1461
Thomas Courtenay, Earl of Devon killed in battle in 1483
James Butler, Earl of Wiltshire still alive in 1487
Thomas de Ros, Baron of Helmsley still alive in 1487
Jasper Tudor still alive in 1487
John de Vere, Earl of Oxford still alive in 1487
Sir William Stanley still alive in 1487

Yorkist commanders
Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury executed after Blore Heath 1459
William Neville, Lord Fauconberg executed after Ferrybridge 1461
Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick executed after Ferrybridge 1461
William Herbert (of Raglan), Earl of Pembroke still alive in 1487
Lord William Hastings killed in battle in 1483
John Neville, Marquess of Montagu defected and killed at Hedgeley Moor 1469
Lord Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby still alive in 1487
Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland defected and killed at Stoke Field 1487
John Howard, Duke of Norfolk still alive in 1487
John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln still alive in 1487
Last edited by stockwellpete on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Tks! A lot of casualties between Royals and commanders. Historically correct :)
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Trully a Campaign generator for the game would be one of the most important (for me at least) improvements (if possible) for the game.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Fedem wrote:Trully a Campaign generator for the game would be one of the most important (for me at least) improvements (if possible) for the game.
Yes, I agree. We have included it in our proposals to Slitherine and I am fairly sure that they would like to develop something for us in this area.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Last bits of info on the campaign . . .

Ruling monarchs

Henry VI (Lancastrian) 1459-61 (note: campaign starts in 1459, Henry had actually been king since 1422, regency until 1437)

Richard III (Yorkist) 1461 -70, deposed 1471

Contested (or dual) monarchy 1470-1471

Henry VI (Lancastrian) again, 1471-1483

Edmund (Lancastrian) 1483- (note: campaign ends in 1487)

Commanders

2 wins
Edmund Beaufort (L) 2 wins - 0 losses; Humphrey Stafford (L) 2-2

1win
Henry Holland (L) 1-0; Henry Percy (L) 1-0; Prince Edward (L) 1-0; Lord William Hastings (Y) 1-0; King Richard III (Y) 1-1; John Neville (Y-L) 1-1; William Pembroke (Y) 1-0

0 wins
Henry Beaufort (L) 0-1; John de la Pole (Y) 0-1; Edward Plantagenet (Y) 0-4 (4 defeats!! The Lancastrians were right to keep him alive after Ferrybridge!! :lol:)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

We are just getting ready for the third (and hopefully the last) play-test of this campaign game. Fedem will be playing cavehobbit this time as I want to make sure that the campaign is easily understandable to play without me actually being a participant. I have made several significant changes to the historical narrative and I have provided a player's guide which should be useful to new players.

I have just got to give all the campaign versions of the scenarios a final check over before I put them on here and then I can e-mail out version 1.3 to those players who have expressed an interest.

Once the third play-test is finished then I will make any necessary alterations and I will then make it available for everyone on Dropbox. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

These are the campaign versions of all my WotR scenarios and they are all you require to play the campaign. The main difference from the previous versions of these battles is that the named leader figures have been removed and replaced by labels such as "Yorkist commander 1" or "Lancastrian commander 2". There have been other changes too including the standardisation of the ratio between various foot units, particularly retinues and levies. The Battle of Edgecote Moor 1469 has been removed from the campaign as, essentially, it was an internal factional struggle between Yorkists rather than a more typical Lancastrian versus Yorkist confrontation.

Blore Heath 1459
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15461007/Battle ... mpaign.rar

Ludford Bridge 1459

Northampton 1460

Wakefield 1460

Mortimer's Cross 1461

St Albans 1461

Ferrybridge 1461

Towton 1461

Bamburgh Castle 1464

Hedgeley Moor 1464

Hexham 1464

Barnet 1471

Tewkesbury 1471

Bosworth Field 1485

Stoke Field 1487
Last edited by stockwellpete on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by cavehobbit »

Fedem and I have now started our campaign with Fedem playing Lancastrians and I Yorkists. I will use this post to report the progress in the campaign.

Episode 1 Blore Heath 1459

Lancastrians – Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury; Lord William Hastings.

L 15/38 beat Y 33/31.

Lancastrians 5pts (won battle) + 2pts (Yorkist nobles killed in battle) = 7pts
Yorkists 0

Notes: Both Richard Neville and Lord William Hastings were killed in the battle. (Trustworthy sources tells that the Lancastrians cowardly attacked the Earl in the back, and many now say that this battle put an end to honour and chivalry.) The Yorkist line of defence was stretched very thin from the beginning, and when the Lancastrian cavalry outflanked the Yorkist left flank and turned to attack from behind, the battle was soon lost for the Yorkists.

------------------------------------------

Episode 4 Northampton 1460

Lancastrians – Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset; John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; John Neville, Marquess of Montagu.

Y 50/53 beat L 50/45.

Lancastrians 0
Yorkists 10pts (won battle)

Notes: Very bloody battle. The Lancastrians lost 6800 men and the Yorkists lost 8400 men.

From campaign text: Yorkist victory – King Henry VI is captured and imprisoned. His mental health is very poor. Succession Event. An Act of Accord is passed and it is decided that Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March will succeed Henry VI on his death - a situation of dual power now pertains. Margaret of Anjou and Prince Edward flee to Scotland.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 5pts (battles won) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 9pts
Yorkists 10pts (battles won)

Episode 5 Wakefield 1460

Lancastrians – Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset; Thomas de Ros, Baron of Helmsley; James Butler, Earl of Wiltshire.

Yorkists – Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.

L 32/34 beat Y 25/25.

Lancastrians 5pts (battle won)
Yorkists 0

Notes: The Yorkist force begun marching forward toward the enemy line. Men-at-arms and billmen in the middle with archers protecting the flanks. The Yorkists initially had the advantage in the battle, but as the Lancastrians flanking forces emerged from the forests, the Yorkist had to defend the flanks and rear. In the end no clear battle lines could be seen, units from both sides were mixed up an eagerly fought to win the battle. Even if many units were beaten and run away, they fought bravely. But one unit, the Sandal garrison, really made a shame of themselves. Four times (four consecutive turns) they cowardly refused to attack a unit of 
Lancastrian billmen. If they had attacked their would be a chance this battle had become a draw.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 10pts (battles won) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 14pts
Yorkists 10pts (battles won)

Episode 6 Mortimer's Cross 1461

Lancastrians – Jasper Tudor; Thomas de Ros, Baron of Helmsley.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; John Neville, Marquess of Montagu.

Y 23/41 beat L 42/40.

Lancastrians 0
Yorkists 5pts (battle won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) = 7pts

Notes: Both sides begun with deploying their forces. The Lancastrians sent most of their MF over the stream on their right flank and left their HF in the open area. The Yorkist sent archers in front of their force while their MF positioned themselves on the hill to their right. Meanwhile the HF moved over the hill and formed the Yorkists right flank, facing the Lancastrians HF. The Yorkist cavalry was sent to threaten the extreme left of the Lancastrians. Once in place the Yorkist HF supported by the cavalry attacked the Lancastrians HF and succeeded in outflank the Lancastrians. Meanwhile both sides MF and archers fought a skirmish battle. The Yorkists MF were supported by Edward Plantagenet on the extreme flank. When the Yorkists HF was able to outflank the enemy, the battle soon ended.
In the pursuit the Lancastrian commanders were captured, but they were allowed back to their home with the promised that if any Yorkist commander would see them leading Lancastrian forces again, it would only be their heads that were sent back home...

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 12pts (battles won+nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 14pts
Yorkists 15pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) = 17pts

Episode 7 2nd battle of St Albans 1461

Lancastrians – Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset; Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham; John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – John Neville, Marquess of Montagu; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; William Neville, Lord Fauconberg.

Draw Y 32/37 vs L 17/39.

Lancastrians 0
Yorkists 0 + 1pts (nobles killed) = 1pts

Notes: The Lancastrians hurried to catch the Yorkists before they could form a line of battle. But the Yorkists managed to form their line in time. Most of the battle the heavy units stood shouting insults at each other while the archers had a shooting contest on the flank. After some skirmish fightings on the other flanks, the heavy units in the centre closed on each other. In the clash Humphrey Stafford lost his head after he lost his footing in the charge.

Campaign score:
Yorkists 15pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 1pts (nobles killed) = 18pts

Episode 10 Skirmish at Ferrybridge 1461

Lancastrians – Thomas de Ros, Baron of Helmsley; James Butler, Earl of Wiltshire.

Yorkists – Edmund, Earl of Rutland; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; John Neville, Marquess of Montagu.

Y 19/37 beat L 30/30.

Lancastrians 0
Yorkists 5 + 1pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) = 8pts

Notes: James Butler died in battle and Thomas de Ros was executed after being captured in the pursuit.

Campaign score:
Yorkists 20pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) = 26pts

Episode 11 Towton 1461

Lancastrians – Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset; Henry Holland, Duke of Exeter; John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; John Neville, Marquess of Montagu.

Y 49/50 beat L 59/53.

Lancastrians 0 + 1pts (nobles killed) = 1pts
Yorkists 10pts (battle won)

Notes: The Lancastrian took positions on the hill on their side while the Yorkists sent their archers forward. On the Lancastrians left flank a force advanced and came in contact with a Yorkist force coming late to the battle. Another part of the Yorkists army crossed the stream and attacked the Lancastrians right flank. In the midst of the battle John Neville got his head cut. The battle could have ended in a draw, but with some luck the Yorkists managed to hold the line, fragmented but still a line.
With the Yorkist victory, all Lancastrians flee into exile and Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York is crowned king. Henry VI is deposed and imprisoned in the Tower of London.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 13pts (battles won+nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 15pts
Yorkists 30pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) = 36pts

Episode 12 The Siege of Bamburgh Castle 1464

Lancastrians – John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury.

Yorkists – Richard Plantagenet, of Gloucester.

Draw L 8/10 vs Y 8/19.

Lancastrians 0
Yorkists 0

Notes: Both sides archers shot at the other side's troops. Meanwhile the Yorkists attacked through the gaps in the walls, but the sun set before the Yorkist force could defeat the Lancastrians. Had the attackers had another turn, they would have routed the defenders and John Talbot had lost his head...

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 13pts (battles won+nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 15pts
Yorkists 30pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) = 36pts

Episode 13 Hedgeley Moor 1464

Yorkists – Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick.

L 29/34 beat Y 41/38.

Lancastrians 5
Yorkists 0

Notes: The Lancastrians took positions upon the central hill while the Yorkists spread their men on three sides of the hill. After the battle the Lancastrians still hold the hilltop, even though Henry Beaufort was routed at one stage of the battle.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 18pts (battles won+nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 20pts

Episode 14 Hexham 1464

Yorkists – Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick.

Y 29/42 beat L 40/40.

Lancastrians 0
Yorkists 5pts (battle won) - 2pts (executing royal character) + 2pts (throne 1464) = 5pts

Notes: After finding the Lancastrian campsite the Yorkists divided their force and surrounded the Lancastrians. When the Lancastrians found themselves surrounded, they attacked the Yorkist's main force. But the Yorkists backed away and let their archers do as much damage before melee. The Lancastrians still succeeded in causing a lot of damage, but in the end their army was broken. Henry Beaufort was captured and executed.
This battle ended the first phase of the campaign.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 18pts (battles won+nobles killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) = 20pts
Yorkists 35pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) - 2pts (executing royal character) + 2pts (throne 1464)= 41pts

Episode 18 Barnet 1471

Lancastrians – Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick; Jasper Tudor; Henry Holland, Duke of Exeter.

Yorkists – Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March; Lord Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby; Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland.

L 19/48 beat Y 47/47.

Lancastrians 10pts (battle won) + 2pts (royal character killed in battle) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) = 14pts
Yorkists 0

Notes: Both sides right flank attacked the other sides left flank (for both sides these moved backward), so the whole line of battle pivoting at the centre. Lancastrians clearly took advantage of this manoeuvring. In the heat of battle Edward Plantagenet was killed. Rumours tells it was a Lancastrian assassin that had infiltrated Edward's bodyguard and cut Edward's throat when he charged some Lancastrian levy billmen.
Thomas Stanley and Henry Percy were captured in the pursuit, but both were ransomed back.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 30pts (battles won+nobles/royals killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) = 34pts
Yorkists 35pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) - 2pts (executing royal character) + 2pts (throne 1464)= 41pts

Episode 19 Tewkesbury 1471

Lancastrians – Prince Edward of Westminster; Thomas Courtenay, Earl of Devon; Jasper Tudor.

Yorkists – Edmund, Earl of Rutland; William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke; John Howard, Duke of Norfolk.

Y 22/32 beat L 35/32.

Lancastrians 0 + 1pts (noble character killed in battle) = 1pts
Yorkists 10pts (battle won)

Notes: The Yorkist moved their men to the hill on their left flank. Both sides archers sent volley after volley of arrows into the ranks of their enemy. The Lancastrians attacked a section of the Yorkist line, but they were beaten back. William Herbert held the Yorkist extreme right flank and when he spotted Jasper Tudor, William charged with his men. But this day Jasper Tudor was the better of the two nobles and crushed William's head and helmet with a mighty blow.
But this was not enough for the Lancastrians to win the battle.

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 31pts (battles won+nobles/royals killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) = 35pts
Yorkists 45pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 2pts (royal character present) - 2pts (executing royal character) + 4pts (throne 1464, 1471)= 53pts

Episode 23 Bosworth Field 1485

Lancastrians – Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond; Lord Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby; Sir William Stanley.

Yorkists – Richard Plantagenet, Duke of Gloucester; Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland; John Howard, Duke of Norfolk.

Y 24/40 beat L 40/40.

Lancastrians 0 + 1pts (noble character killed in battle) = 1pts
Yorkists 10pts (battle won) + 2pts (royal character killed in battle) = 12pts

Notes: The Yorkist main contingent took positions on the hill and waited for the advancing Lancastrians. Henry Tudor led the charge, but in the battle he got his heart pierced by a spear. Not far away Henry Percy was killed in the fightings. When nearly half the day had past, both sides got some reinforcements, but at this point the Yorkist advantage was too much for the Lancastrians. The Yorkists made a final push down the hill to end the battle. In the pursuit that followed, both Thomas and William Stanley were captured. No mercy was showed and both were executed.
And so ended the War of the Roses...(this time :D )

Campaign score:
Lancastrian 32pts (battles won+nobles/royals killed) + 2pts (throne 1459) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) = 36pts
Yorkists 55pts (battles won) + 2pts (ransomed commanders) + 2pts (nobles killed) + 4pts (royal character present) - 2pts (executing royal character) + 6pts (throne 1464, 1471,1485)= 67pts
Last edited by cavehobbit on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Hi,

Battle started....

Cavehobbit. This Battle was a 5 pointer. So the Lancastrians made 7 pts: Won battle and 2Yorkist nobles killed in Battle. Lord Hastings was found under a pile of corpses of his bodyguards who gave their lives in vane....

So there is no pursuit as both Yorks were killed.

Question for Stockwellpete. Are the Lancastrians able to win +2pts for controling the Crown?

Tks!
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Fedem wrote:Lord Hastings was found under a pile of corpses of his bodyguards who gave their lives in vane....

Did not replay your last turn, so I missed his death...

Post above edited.

/P-A
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Fedem wrote:Hi,

Battle started....

Cavehobbit. This Battle was a 5 pointer. So the Lancastrians made 7 pts: Won battle and 2Yorkist nobles killed in Battle. Lord Hastings was found under a pile of corpses of his bodyguards who gave their lives in vane....

So there is no pursuit as both Yorks were killed.

Question for Stockwellpete. Are the Lancastrians able to win +2pts for controling the Crown?

Tks!
It sounds like you have made a bloody start to the campaign, Fedem. Dead nobles everywhere! That's excellent. :lol: Don't forget to keep your royal and noble character sheets up to date as well.

OK, so you are using the advanced rules as well. Yes, you will get +2 points for controlling the crown outright in 1459 (as you have won the engagement at Blore and there was no subsequent Ludford Bridge battle). The Yorkists would have fled to Ireland and Calais in the autumn of 1459. :wink:
cavehobbit

Re: Two-player War of the Roses campaign . . .

Post by cavehobbit »

Second battle is now finished. See above.

/P-A

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”