Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

First battle of Thracia
challenge has been posted
PW: gothic

Lead your troops to their deaths if you dare... or so says he who has not yet been defeated :P
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Easy to say for Roman scum with a 60+ pt. advantage!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

First Battle of Belgica

Western Rome 12/31 2266/9300
vs
Alemanni 42/41 4687/12300

The survivors are now manning the oars in our amphibous assault craft.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Your army must be whittled down now!! :shock:
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

why they were barely scratched, why even the most serious wounded could likely carry a pilum and kick some barbarian buttocks without any doubts. Besides there are rumors that the kind and generous and most glorious and victorious who is favored by the Gods Eastern Emperor came to the aid of his Western cousin and sent financial aid. So likely now with a victory under his belt all kinds of Western miscreants are making their way to the recruiting offices to join with the all victorious mousy one. 8)
petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett »

Bad enough facing a solid opponent such as TGM but he had the added luck of a perfect map - gentle hill with several contours upon which he placed his legions. Not much you can do against that with the alamanni.

Without that it would have been a close match - I say this not to diminish my opponent's talent but to indiciate that I think the point reduction for the romans does work.

Anyway to the victor the spoilts - you can have my belgium waffles tonight TGM.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

petergarnett wrote:Bad enough facing a solid opponent such as TGM but he had the added luck of a perfect map - gentle hill with several contours upon which he placed his legions. Not much you can do against that with the alamanni.

Without that it would have been a close match - I say this not to diminish my opponent's talent but to indiciate that I think the point reduction for the romans does work.

Anyway to the victor the spoilts - you can have my belgium waffles tonight TGM.
I like waffles, yum

As for the map, you chose it! :D (unless you did what i often do when winning the initiative and click one xtra time too quickly and select the map w/o having chance to really select)
petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett »

I didn't select it - thought you did
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

petergarnett wrote:I didn't select it - thought you did
Hmm... I am petty sure i didnt , sure you didnt have an itchy mouse finger? Too bad you cant tell from the after battle report on whom one the initiate, leader, cavalry bonus's etc.

Cheers! On the bright side, it will take our lab techs a lot longer to grow new soldiers than yours :)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Wait until you hear the reports coming from the East!! :twisted:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Blathergut wrote:Wait until you hear the reports coming from the East!! :twisted:
Well, whatevers going on, hurry up so i can load the boys back onto their LVAT's and find those pesky Huns, their probably down in Sicily by now... :)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Whispers from the East speak of a battle still raging (but night is falling so the swords and spears will soon be lowered). Eyewitnesses speak of a tiny Goth force, entirely mounted, encountering the vast legions of the East. But choosing their field of battle with cunning, the Goths formed up on one end of a valley with a lake near one side. Cunning and wise, the Goth leader sent a hand-picked force to the left of the lake where this force came upon the might of the Romans in the form of their cataphracts and superior legionaries. Undaunted, the Goths enticed some of the cataphracts out of their line and quickly slaughtered them. When the remaining Romans joined battle, they too were hacked to pieces.

In the main section of the battle, the Goth horse chose their targets wisely and ran away whenever wisdom dictated that to be the best course of action!!! :wink:

Leaving their camp to tempt the greedy Romans (who snatched at the bait with some auxiliaries), the Goths continued to hit and retreat whilst their brave flanking force cut their way through the Roman cataphracts.

When last we knew, our brave Gothic souls had the Romans in the East 2 BP away from breaking (whilst they themselves were a few more than that but not too far from that)...
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hmm, perhaps i should not have played that practice gme with you to show your the ropes on how to yield the Ostrogoths.... Thats what happens when most of the lead Roman generals are barbarians themselves:)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

eheheheeh :twisted:

There really wasn't much choice. Anything foot would not stand up to the legionaries. The army is entirely superior lancers with a tiny handful of LF bows. Dead. I think at one point was charging me with his foot...since he rarely plays Romans I don't think he realized he wouldn't get + on impact vs lancers. :twisted:

I'll post a screen shot when I get my turn or if the game ends. Getting to choose the battlefield was critical. The hill stretches across both sides so he had a hard time being uphill of me.

He's been away this weekend I think, so not much time for turns. But we'll get there!!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Blathergut wrote:eheheheeh :twisted:

There really wasn't much choice. Anything foot would not stand up to the legionaries. The army is entirely superior lancers with a tiny handful of LF bows. Dead. I think at one point was charging me with his foot...since he rarely plays Romans I don't think he realized he wouldn't get + on impact vs lancers. :twisted:

I'll post a screen shot when I get my turn or if the game ends. Getting to choose the battlefield was critical. The hill stretches across both sides so he had a hard time being uphill of me.

He's been away this weekend I think, so not much time for turns. But we'll get there!!
36 lf or medium foot bows is not tiny!
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I went with the 7 LF bows + 4 armoured lancers (each a TC) + 25 lancers...vs the Roman hordes.

:)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

HuuuzzaahhHHH!!!

Ahem... :wink:

Word of a Gothic VICTORY over the Roman hordes! Despite being gravely outnumbered, we won by cunning use of the land, bravery of our souls, and sharp pointy ends of our lances!!!

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Goths: 10800/3453 24/36 WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eastern Romans: 12900/4515 47/43 Loss

You can see, from the sketch of the battlefield, where our lancers moved around the water and slaughtered the Roman cataphracts as well as some Roman cavalry. They then got into the Roman foot up there and are in the process of hacking them up.

Bottom far right is where the Goth camp was placed to lure the greedy dogs (who fell for it)!! The delay in getting the auxiliaries who ran for plunder back into the battle helped the Goth horse concentrate on one segment of the Roman line.

The center was prime lancer land...where the Romans had a hard time gaining any uphill advantage.

Sooooo...

Does this mean I DO get to loot as well???? :twisted:
davouthojo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by davouthojo »

A great battle in Thracia (Adrianople?) sees the Romans humbled by the Gothic lancers in a defeat the scale of which even their polished PR machine has a hard time concealing......although at the other end of the frontier the Roman amphibious marine forces the Alemanni back towards the border.....

Western Emperor +1 no looting +3 decisive victory (evens) +1 for flair = +5
Eastern Emperor +1 no looting -5 tactical defeat (Roman advantage) = -4

No looting, the Goths were too busy fighting....the rewards of their victory will come in future years.......

The Alemanni retreat to Franks, only 7 points from forced dispersal, the Roman Eastern Army retreats to Dacia, leaving the Goths in Thracia

RULE CHANGE:
As a result of the casualties and war weariness, all barbarians (except the Huns, who have wisely decided to let the other barbarian tribes take the casualties, while they wait for the loot) from now on will only receive 30 reinforcements per year in in their homeland, and will take 3 years to recover, not 2.

The Limitanae are weakening too, from now on only 2-6 will rally to battles on the frontier

Next phase - Roman transfers/reinforcements/emergency levies.......moves from everybody......are the bloodied Romans going to get a respite?
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Dang, no looting!! How about, since word of our great victory has spread and our greatness is greater, we get the chance at some sort of random reinforcements???

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”