Decline and Fall Campaign History and Announcements

Forum for campaigns based around the Field of Glory digital version

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

davouthojo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by davouthojo »

The Second Roman Marine army gives chase....and catch the Vandals before they can continue their cruise of Mediterranean resorts.

The exhausted Alemanni pull back into their homeland.......only to be replaced by the Franks! The Goths chill in their homeland, enjoying the female attention after their double victory against the odds.....

First Battle of Solonna
Romans (500 points) vs Vandals (500 points) in VERY CROWDED terrain
Romans can no longer use Frank allies (ooooo, that ones going to hurt!)

Good luck!
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Challenge issued for battle of Solona. Password "solona".

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

batesmotel wrote:Challenge issued for battle of Solona. Password "solona".

Chris
Chris, i think we are having the same issue as several battles ago, I accepted your challenge but the game wont let me hit "start play" at the terrain selection phase

I used a 600 size army but bought 500ap's... Did you do the same or did you just build from a 500 ap base, because i think that might be the problem,.....
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
batesmotel wrote:Challenge issued for battle of Solona. Password "solona".

Chris
Chris, i think we are having the same issue as several battles ago, I accepted your challenge but the game wont let me hit "start play" at the terrain selection phase

I used a 600 size army but bought 500ap's... Did you do the same or did you just build from a 500 ap base, because i think that might be the problem,.....
Bingo! I did that again. New challenge issued at 600 points, Password "mouser".

Chris
davouthojo

Post by davouthojo »

Any news from the front line?
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

The first battle of Salona has ended with the destruction of the Second Roman Marine Army. Landing in the midst of the very crowded terrain, the Romans acted like Hansel and Gretel after the birds cleaned up their trail. While the armoured Roman legionaries and cataphracts and cavalry wandered like lost sheep, the Vandal swarm picked off the weaker elements in the Roman herd like the MF and the protected legionaries. Only towards the very end did the cream of the Romans finally get into the fight and start to make the Vandals and their Quadi allies suffer a bit more but not enough to delay the Romans demise. The Roman camp was also sacked since today's degenerate descendants of the glorious conquerors of the world no longer even bother to fortify their camp.

Vandals: 34/64 (3751/19200)
Romans: 41/40 (5146/12000)

Thanks for the game.

Chris
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

batesmotel wrote:The first battle of Salona has ended with the destruction of the Second Roman Marine Army. Landing in the midst of the very crowded terrain, the Romans acted like Hansel and Gretel after the birds cleaned up their trail. While the armoured Roman legionaries and cataphracts and cavalry wandered like lost sheep, the Vandal swarm picked off the weaker elements in the Roman herd like the MF and the protected legionaries. Only towards the very end did the cream of the Romans finally get into the fight and start to make the Vandals and their Quadi allies suffer a bit more but not enough to delay the Romans demise. The Roman camp was also sacked since today's degenerate descendants of the glorious conquerors of the world no longer even bother to fortify their camp.

Vandals: 34/64 (3751/19200)
Romans: 41/40 (5146/12000)

Thanks for the game.

Chris
Thats not quite how I recall it happening, although in the end it was defeat for sure :wink:
Our histories will write how the Vandals, contrary to the accepted rules of war chose a battle field of corn fields and hills and hid behind a river to boot, and then surged fowrd in one mass regardless of tactics or caring of their own losses. The Romans had no choice but to make a defensive fight on a thin slip of hill to be swamped out by superior #'s.

**note to all I will be away from sunday thru sunday without access to FOG, although i likly will have the ocasional internet access. Thus, i should be able to make a stategic move or two. If the barbarains continue to harry the West , I will leave command of my armies to my esteemed Eastern Emperor . Have mercy on our souls. (just kidding deadtorius :wink: )
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

No God better have mercy if you plan on allowing me to take the reigns of the West during your absence... Might be time to assassinate him since he is obviously showing signs of insanity :shock:
:P Have a good holiday Gray
davouthojo

Post by davouthojo »

A glorious victory for the Vandals at Solonna, winning decisively in an even fight and inflicting heavy casualties on the Romans as they retreat back to Aquileia. The Western Emperor has his first battlefield defeat, having defended the frontier bravely so a decade.

The motherland in danger requires emergency levies in both east and west.

Western prestige: 11 +1 no looting; -1 camp lost; -2 emergency levies; -5 decisive defeat at even = 4
Eastern prestige: 0 +1 no looting; -2 emergency levies = -1

Will the Western empire make an offer to the Vandals? Where will the huns invade?

Next moves please - due to holiday season, no specific deadlines, just send when you can.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Those past pre holiday moves I sent you, do you need other moves or do those cover this period?? :?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Oops, just realized I have been lazy and havnt sent any turns in. Will certainly send them tonite. Sorry if i am the sole negligent player holding this up!
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

I'm also guilty. Will send them today.

Chris
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hey D, did you get my PM several days ago with my turn orders? Its still in my unread box, not being impatient or anything but want to make sure yu know its sitting there, in case your own inbox is full or what not
davouthojo

Restarting Decline and Fall

Post by davouthojo »

Dear All,

Many apologies for the absence of communication to all players - and my LOEG games have been backlogged too.

I would like to complete this campaign, not have go quietly into the night......but set an endpoint.
10 more years.....at which time a winner will be declared.

However the rules need to be tweaked - the Romans will need to be strengthened, the Goth victories over the Eastern Emperor and the Vandal one in the West were almost knock-out blows. Maybe a flaw in the design - the Romans can only afford to lose one battle, the barbarians can bounce back. Probably realistic, but still!

I think this is achieved most easily, entertainingly and historically by allowing barbarian on barbarian battles. Rome can pay barbarians to turn, or they can turn for profit, looting homelands for extra cash......! If you have other ideas, list here.

To restart:
If you can commit to 10 more turns, declare it here, and add any rules suggestions to increase fun. If you want to switch army......
If you can't continue, let me know and I will recruit a replacement.

Many thanks for your patience!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Im in!
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

I'm in as well.

Chris
davouthojo

Rule changes and relaunch

Post by davouthojo »

Some proposed rule changes:

Romans get annual cash
Each Roman Emperor gets 200k gold solidus a year. This can be saved, used to bribe barbarians to fight each other or dispersed as gifts to barbarians without any impact on the Emperor’s prestige.

Romans can raid barbarian homelands
Romans can raid barbarian homelands by ordering a move from any border province in that zone to a specific homeland.
They automatically return to the province they came from after the raid, whether successful or not.
If there is no opposing army, the raid is automatically successful.
If there is an opposing army in the homeland, the Roman fight a DAG battle; the barbarians receive +50BPs from their home warriors. Terrain as per a normal DAG battle.
If the raid is successful, the Romans get +1 prestige (in addition to what they earn for winning the battle), the barbarians lose 200k loot and their army cannot reinvade the empire for 6 years and reinforcements are permanently reduced to 20 per year.

Barbarian loot for victories
Barbarians will get 100k loot if they inflict a tactical defeat on the romans, 200k for a decisive defeat

Barbarians can fight barbarians
If they find themselves in the same province, barbarian armies will attack each other
Casualties of the fight are calculated as usual. If the barbarian leaders elect not to fight, or the result is a draw where neither army reaches breaking point, 20% of each army leaves in disgust at their leaders lack of proper barbarian warrior spirit.
The winning army will takes 100k loot from the losing army; 200k if the camp is sacked.
The Romans can cause two barbarian armies that are in adjacent provinces to fight each other – at a cost of 500k solidus (goes to bribe underlings, does not become loot)
davouthojo

Post by davouthojo »

Year start AD370 - Orders due

Confirmation from everyone (except Peter) and we are off again after the summer break. Note the rule changes....please resubmit orders for your 370 move....you have 10 more years to amass loot and prestige before we declare a winner!

The Vandals are deep in the Empire enjoying the fruits of their stunning victory on the Solonna shore and the Huns knocking on the door. The Franks are through the door! Will the battered Romans be able to hold the line?

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”