FoG(U) rev 964 update

Closed beta forum - only for users who have taken part in one of the FoG Beta tests.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) rev 964 update

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

I've said that the new beta build will be ready towards the end of this week, yet is already Sunday, and it seems that I have absolutely no chance to finish everything left to be done (some unexpected things appeared these days which need to be taken care of) even by tomorrow, nevermind about today.

So, I'm sorry to say, but this build will have to wait a few more days.

Thank you,
dan
Brigz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: FoG(U) rev 964 update

Post by Brigz »

You're doing a great job Dan. As long as you keep us informed that's good enough. Take as much time as you need.
Dave
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

Dan,

The secret to being recognised as a master (software) engineer is copy from the example of Scotty from Star Trek. When they ask him how long it will take to fix the warp drive, he always estimates double the time. Then when he actually fixes it in half the time he is proclaimed the genius! :lol:

So when will it be ready?

:mrgreen:
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

well, at this point I really wish something like that would actually work.. but unfortunately it isn't :(
Latro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Latro »

Has it been 'a few days' yet?
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

A short update (and an answer to Latro's question): the "few days" period passed several times, I am fully aware of this, and it's only my fault. I'm working hard (including full 14-16h working weekends), but even in this cleaning-up-and-putting-everything-together stage there are myriads of small things that require an incredible amount of work needing to be done (including full testing). And there's only so much one can do.

The build's current version is 1.8.19.963 (and most probably will be version 2.0.00. as the final RM version), but there's not too much chance to have everything done and ready by tomorrow evening (at most). If not, it will have to wait for another week (as I have to go out of town with my threatening-to-kill-me family for a week) and a few days, and then it will be ready.

I know you've waited a long time for this new release, but please have a little more patience. I'm sure the new build will greatly reward you for it :)

Thank you,
dan
voskarp
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by voskarp »

cothyso wrote:...I'm working hard (including full 14-16h working weekends)... I have to go out of town with my threatening-to-kill-me family for a week...
I'm surprised you've made it this far... ;)

Many thanks for doing this Dan!
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Thanks for info. :D
Latro

Post by Latro »

Thanks for the info.

Patience mode re-activated.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Thank you Dan. Now I can calm down and be patient again.
maximvs

Post by maximvs »

It's good to hear that things are progressing.
Latro

Post by Latro »

This just isn't going to happen, is it? :(
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Latro wrote:This just isn't going to happen, is it? :(
I'm beginning to fear you are correct Latro. Apparently something catastrophic has happened. The silence on this project is telling. However, I continue to applaud the effort put in so far and thank all those who have spent their free time to do a magnificent favor for the rest of us. I've purchased all of the FoG products except two and shelved all of them for the past year and a half in the expectations of this re-write. I guess I'll dust them off and continue with the original game, quirks and all.

Although disappointed, I want to make it clear that I appreciate and applaud the effort by Dan and any others who have helped. It was a worthy effort and hopefully I am wrong about the silence being an indicator of unexpected problems. FoG is still a great game. I'm not upset about this, just a bit deflated. Thanks again for the hard work Dan. I'm sure you've done your best and it is appreciated.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

we get multiple updates a week from Dan. He think he is very close to a GM. We are not going to predict any dates until its completely done as this has proved very hard up to now!

It is ongoing and it is going to happen.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

IainMcNeil wrote:Hi guys

we get multiple updates a week from Dan. He think he is very close to a GM. We are not going to predict any dates until its completely done as this has proved very hard up to now!

It is ongoing and it is going to happen.
That is fabulous to know Iain. It is a wonderful multi-player game, despite all its flaws at the moment - and the competitions that various people are running have held a sizeable community around the game. So when it "re-launches" there will be something tangible in place for new players to join. The FOG Digital League that I help to run is actually expanding at the moment despite the absence of new product for a couple of years. That is testimony to the basic strength of the game. :D
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Iain,

That is very good news and all I need to know. Thanks.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Thank you for the update!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Nice :)
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Still playing this game since its launch , i have mulitplayer 10 games at the moment , this game has massive legs :-D
Good News.
Ian
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

Sorry for the late response, it is (again), only my own fault.

I was working around the clock during this last week, including a full working weekend, hoping to have everything finished by Sunday evening, but (again!) some newly discovered problems (the fact that some lists, ie the mid/late republican and principate roman army lists actually had forced fortified camps, not allowing a normal camp option - so the camp injection had to actually skip those for the DAG army list templates and DAG army lists format porting) required some new format porting code for this special case, and the re-cooking of the whole army lists bundles.

So, the final format cleaning, validating (a LOT of FoG(RB) army lists data mistakes/bugs fixed) and porting to the new final format it will be finally ready until this evening/night (the loading/saving code for the Editor battlegroups lists and the DAR army list templates is ready, but the loading/saving code for the new scenario and DAG army lists needs some more modifications and testing). After this, a couple of days for updating the MP gameflow and client/server communications to the new data file formats modifications, and we'll have the new and so-long-awaited FoG(U) v964 beta.

Definitely ready for the next weekend! After that, new build updates will come twice a week, for a couple of weeks or so, until we'll have the FoG(U) gold candidate.

There are a lot of (new) things included in this build, but you'll see that for yourselves.

Back to the coding cave now,
dan

Return to “FoG PC Beta”