Temp League - Game Seven - Early Carthage vs Ancient Britons

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Temp League - Game Seven - Early Carthage vs Ancient Britons

Post by massina_nz »

I expect Romans and light chariots this time, so I now have chance to go for all my heavy chariot allowance as they should be good against all enemy troop types. I initially maxed out on 12 heavy cavalry units as well, but decide I do need some MF in case I don’t get an open plain.

I win initiative and thankfully one of the maps is very open.

Looking at the match-ups, my cavalry will get beaten up by the superior light chariots, so rather than use my heavy chards versus the legionaires I will use them on my wing. My only move is to move the chariots left (something my opponent should not see!)
massina_nz

Turn Two

Post by massina_nz »

I push the enemy LF and LH screen away on my right, trying (probably unsuccessfully) to hide my chariots behind my cavalry. I have to be careful in future moves to turn off the evade option on my cavalry as they may be blocked by the chariots, and won’t evade away.
massina_nz

Turn Three

Post by massina_nz »

I catch one enemy LF but unfortunately my victorious LF follows up into the rear of a LH, so it will be toast next turn.

On the left I get the match-ups I want, Heavy chariots versus armoured cavalry and Light Chariots, and Lt Spear cavalry versus MF in the open. It couldn’t have worked out better, especially since the main body of the enemy hasn’t moved either.
massina_nz

Turn Four

Post by massina_nz »

One of the quirks of FOG, my LF that had pursued into the British LH, evades away when charged by legionaries.

I can’t believe my luck when the British right wing crashes into my Chariots and Cavalry, I have POA + everywhere, and this should be a massacre. Can I win on the left before the enemy main body gets close to mine? If so the game is mine.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Turn Four

Post by stockwellpete »

massina_nz wrote:One of the quirks of FOG, my LF that had pursued into the British LH, evades away when charged by legionaries.
Perhaps if your opponent had melee'd first with the LH unit then that would have "locked" it into the melee and then the legionaries could have hit it? :?
massina_nz

Re: Turn Four

Post by massina_nz »

stockwellpete wrote:
massina_nz wrote:One of the quirks of FOG, my LF that had pursued into the British LH, evades away when charged by legionaries.
Perhaps if your opponent had melee'd first with the LH unit then that would have "locked" it into the melee and then the legionaries could have hit it? :?
Yes probably that would have worked, not really sure, can't remember seeing this recently.
massina_nz

Turn Five

Post by massina_nz »

With the Roman infantry disappearing to counter my cavalry threat, and leaving the warbands on their own I can now re-assemble my lines, aiming to get the sacred band into action.

I continue to make good progress on the left, however I made a mistake I thought the Etruscan cavalry were outmatched by the Roman cavalry, and left them to ‘always evade’, allowing and opening for a rear attack on my chariots. In fact the opposing cavalry are exact equals! D’oh!
massina_nz

Turn Six

Post by massina_nz »

I lose a couple of chariots, one to a rear attack, however most of my other mounted troops are doing well. – the Britons are surviving through many of their routing troops rallying.

On the right, I commit the Scutarii in force, rather than tempt anarchy fate. My C-in-C commits as well and frags an elite warrior unit. Now if we can just stay clear of the Roman infantry in the centre of the map for a few turns.
massina_nz

Turn Seven

Post by massina_nz »

Very willing on right flank, but I have superior numbers whilst the Roman allies waddle around in the middle of the map.

Willing on the left flank as well but I get the upper hand.
massina_nz

Turn Eight

Post by massina_nz »

There is almost enough enemy BPs here for me to win the game.

I draw my forces away from the legionnaires in the centre, and target a LH that is attempting to loot my camp.
massina_nz

Turn Nine

Post by massina_nz »

Yes there is enough BPs here now for me to win the game, should take a couple of turns.
massina_nz

Turn Ten

Post by massina_nz »

Brits rout quite a few of my units in their turn, I respond by lining up some rear attacks.
massina_nz

Turn Eleven

Post by massina_nz »

Trap one LF (A) and catch a disrupted warrior unit (B) and catch a LF (C) so now it’s just a matter of time. Which happens next turn.

Upon reflection, it seems that the key to my victory was my success on my right flank, getting good match-ups with my cavalry and chariots, not sure why my opponent let me do that.

Return to “Field of Glory : AAR's”