Temp League - Game One - Early Carthage vs Lydia

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Temp League - Game One - Early Carthage vs Lydia

Post by massina_nz »

Well I had planned on doing some AARs using the Early Byzantines in the Temporary League, but alas I only got my third choice in the Dark Ages section.

However I always had a fondness towards the Early Carthaginians, probably because of the Heavy Chariots. So instead I will write an AAR for each battle in the Classical A Division of the League. I don’t expect to do all that well with the Early Carthaginians, but with playing against the top-notch opponents I expect some close matches.

My first match-up is against davouthojo’s Lydians. Although davouthojo says there isn’t much choice, he might be slightly deceptive, as the Lydians I could be facing could be plenty of hoplites or plenty of MF. I’d love to max out my Heavy Chariots, but feel I’m putting too many eggs in one basket and opt for a more variegated army.

I win initiative I had chosen very open map, feeling it’s too risky to go for a crowded map if facing lots of MF. My first mistake!

A lot of my troops are anarchy prone, so I surmise an open field is best I chose the upper left choice.

Image[/url]

I decide to hide my cavalry behind my foot troops – and keep my chariots in reserve so I can redeploy. I intersperse my Gauls with the Sacred band, to maximise my chances of the Gauls facing some disrupted Lydian hoplites so they still get their swordsmen POA in melee. I place my MF on the wings so they can redeploy quickly if needed.
Last edited by massina_nz on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massina_nz

Turn 1

Post by massina_nz »

The Lydians advance by refusing their right. I’m up against Armoured hoplites and good cavalry – seems this map was a bad choice, more rough terrain would have been better with all my MF. There was no point buying lots of hoplites for my army as mine would have only been protected, and would have suffered in melle combat with the Lydians

I advance my light troops in which I seem to have superiority, in tandem I advance my cavalry in support. At least my chariots may be useful as they ignore the Lydian armour. I plan to confront the leading Lydians with my best troops and refuse my left.
massina_nz

Turn Two

Post by massina_nz »

Not much really happening, but I manage to re-align my troops the way I want them. I’m now prepared to sit and wait.
massina_nz

Turn Three

Post by massina_nz »

Just some skirmishing action – I think I have superiority here so I will persist.
massina_nz

Turn Four

Post by massina_nz »

The Lydians change formation; I think I see weakness on the Lydian left.

So I slant over to my right, it will expose my camp, but I see a chance so I need to take it.

On the left I muck around, this is just being a distraction, I may get isolated. Hindsight proves me correct in that last statement.
massina_nz

Turn Five

Post by massina_nz »

On the left, one enemy LH surprisingly sticks, next turn I expect it will turn to face it’s attacker, and offer it’s rear to my other Cavalry unit.

Both armies turn counter clock wise, a few of my troops left caught behind because they are too close to enemy units for a double move. Looks like I will have to sacrifice some of them.
massina_nz

Turn Six

Post by massina_nz »

Damn, I miscalculated at the Lydian cavalry are able to contact my own cavalry, who couldn’t evade, and it leaves my other cavalry at risk, my poor placement of my javelinmen didn’t help.

And then I stuff up my attack against the LH. I initiate first with my heavy cavalry and then a rear attack with my skirmishers. I should have done it the other way around!

There’s a few stragglers, but I turn to face the Lydians whilst they are reassembling. I may be able to hit them before they get totally organised.
massina_nz

Turn Seven

Post by massina_nz »

Despite some lucky dice rolls for rear attacks, I still lose a cavalry unit and the other ones days are numbered. It was very foolish to expose that force on the left. They achieved nothing and will cost me many BPs.

A lone Scutarii manages to turn the tables but its’ days are numbered, at least the others got away. I send another towards the LF to halt the camp looting if I can.

My troops begin to advance, a lone Lydian MF is sacrificed to help the Lydians reform, Instead of charging in with both cavalry and send one behind it for a rear attack next turn.
massina_nz

Turn Eight

Post by massina_nz »

Meanwhile my scutarii at the bottom of the map are doing wonders but not for much longer.

My flank force is being easily destroyed, never split your forces huh!
massina_nz

Turn Nine

Post by massina_nz »

I see one chance of pulling this one out of the fire. My Sacred Band may well be able to smash through the Lydian’s centre. Well my last chance failed, as the Gauls and Sacred Hand, hit and the Lydians roll really well, I had POA + on every combat and ended up with only two disrupts, and those on myself, the game is effectively over despite looting the Lydian camp this turn.
massina_nz

Turn Ten

Post by massina_nz »

My chariots go in, and do surprising well, despite some real softening up my C-in-C does no impact to its foe.

The rest of the front lines crash into each other, I’m doing surprisingly well, have one obvious weak point, but next turn my hoplites will have to deal with heavier armoured opponents in the melee phase.
massina_nz

Turn Eleven

Post by massina_nz »

Lydians easily get the upper hand, it won’t be long now.
massina_nz

Turn Twelve

Post by massina_nz »

The armoured hoplites are just too tough. – and I Lose in the next opponents turn. Poor analysis of probable opposition and poor choice of map doomed me from the start.

Return to “Field of Glory : AAR's”