Diadochi anyone?

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Diadochi anyone?

Post by deeter »

It seems as if expansions are coming out so rapidly that there's hadrly time to explore one before there's another one to play. IF is an outstanding one that I'd like to explore more. Therefore, I'm proposing a limited themed competition based around the Successor armies: Lysimachid, Macedonian, Ptolemaic and Seleucid states. Four armies, four players.

I have limited time to play, so I'm wondering if there are three other players out there who would like to participate in a friendly competition. I'm proposing 650 points with FoW and double moves on. Round One: everyone plays everyone else. Not sure how to handle Round Two, maybe the highest scorer plays the third highest while the second highest plays the fourth highest? Winners of Round Two face of in Round Three for ultimate winner.

The idea is to play with an eye toward history and not toward gimicky win-at-all-costs play. Each player would take one of the available armies and stick with it throughout These armies are all pretty similar but have slight variations in what's available and 650 points will not exhaust all available troop types.

Any takers?

Deeter
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 »

I'm in. :)

kilroy
deeter

Post by deeter »

Great. Whom do you want to command?

Deeter
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

deeter wrote:Great. Whom do you want to command?

Deeter
Seleucid Successor.

kilroy
gudin
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by gudin »

I'm in too. Though the way things have been going lately, I expect 4th place. Macedonian or Lysimachid are fine with me.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Ptolemaic
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I miss the palace bubbelbaths! :wink:
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Blathergut wrote:I miss the palace bubbelbaths! :wink:
and the bubbelettes .........
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Im in if there is still room, Lysimicos or Macdaddies, its all good, Cheers!
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by grumblefish »

I'll play too, if there's room.
deeter

Post by deeter »

Response is better than I expected, so we now have 6 players, in order of appearance:

Kilroy: Seleucids
Gudin: Macedonians
Blathergut: Ptolemaics
TheGrayMouser: Lysimachids
Deeter: Ipsos Alliance
Grumblefish: Hellenistic Achaians

I have given Grumblefish the Hellenistic army because it includes lots of pikes but is cavalry deficient, so probably a little disadvantaged, but in period. Not sure how to do with with 6 players after the first round, but am open to suggestions. The second round could go as orgnally suggested but changed slightly to allow for the extra two players with the top scoring two players fighting in the third round for the championship. Scoring: 3 for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss. Total APs destroyed for any tie breakers.

I am going to post 5 challenges, password: deeter. Good luck and remember this is going to be slow-playing on my part so be patient with me.
Deeter
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Cool.

Will post five...password bubbles. 8)
deeter

Post by deeter »

Don't think you need to post five, as one of mine is for you. :D

Deeter
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

deeter wrote:Response is better than I expected, so we now have 6 players, in order of appearance:

Kilroy: Seleucids
Gudin: Macedonians
Blathergut: Ptolemaics
TheGrayMouser: Lysimachids
Deeter: Ipsos Alliance
Grumblefish: Hellenistic Achaians

I have given Grumblefish the Hellenistic army because it includes lots of pikes but is cavalry deficient, so probably a little disadvantaged, but in period. Not sure how to do with with 6 players after the first round, but am open to suggestions. The second round could go as orgnally suggested but changed slightly to allow for the extra two players with the top scoring two players fighting in the third round for the championship. Scoring: 3 for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss. Total APs destroyed for any tie breakers.

I am going to post 5 challenges, password: deeter. Good luck and remember this is going to be slow-playing on my part so be patient with me.
Deeter

Wait, can I take Hellenistic Sparta? They fought against the Macedonians on multiple occasions; I'll take the early version, as the pike bearing version is too late.
deeter

Post by deeter »

I see that you already have. I hope this doesn't mean you've got 56 thureophoroi. I was hoping to exclude horde armies. I'm sure you're into the spirit of the thing though... :D

Deeter
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

k...deleted one challenge...so should be cool.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

deeter wrote:I see that you already have. I hope this doesn't mean you've got 56 thureophoroi. I was hoping to exclude horde armies. I'm sure you're into the spirit of the thing though... :D

Deeter
Well, even with the Achaeans I could make a thureophoroi horde. The difference between Achaea and Sparta is that Sparta gets superior hoplites, while Achaea gets pikemen, thorakitai and lance-cavalry. This is unrealistic as far as I can tell, because Spartans implemented pikes before the Achaeans did; Cleomenes III led Spartan pikes against Achaean thureophoroi, yet the Achaean army requires you to take pikemen. The later hellenic spartan list is clearly the Cleomenian one, with a number of pikemen allowed, but for some reason Achaea is allowed to take more pikes.

I like the Spartan army list because I think the Achaean one is unrealistic, and I know that Sparta fought against a number of Macedonian armies.

I'm not taking a giant thureo army, though, so don't worry. :)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Might take a vast poor Egyptian phalangite horde!!! :twisted: (Well...uh...8!)
deeter

Post by deeter »

The Spartan list sounds good. I had thought about allowing any Hellenistic army, so it's all good. As for those Egyptian pikes, I was once stomped by them, so bring em on. Please report all game results in this thread using Pantherboy's format. I probably won't have much to report for at least a week.

Deeter
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

To fellow Diadochi players

Gudin
Kilroy
Grumblefish

I set up challenges for our games, password diadochi for all

Just so ya know I will be away 01/28 thru 30th but we can atleast get started , cheers!

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”