Dropbox changes - no more Public folder

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Dropbox changes - no more Public folder

Post by ZeaBed »

As of today, there is no more Public folder in Dropbox, according to an email they sent me. FYI, in case someone in FoG is still downloading any of my old scenarios, which is unlikely by now as it's been a while. But, just in case, be advised. Have a nice Ides of March.
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Dropbox changes - no more Pubic folder

Post by kilroy1 »

ZeaBed wrote:As of today, there is no more Public folder in Dropbox, according to an email they sent me. FYI, in case someone in FoG is still downloading any of my old scenarios, which is unlikely by now as it's been a while. But, just in case, be advised. Have a nice Ides of March.
Thanks for the info, since Dropbox did not send me an email. It looks like we'll have to share a link to the file or folder instead of a direct download. Yes, the Ides of March...

kilroy
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

The point is that whomever downloads the zip file will have to join Dropbox. That's why there is no more Public folder, you have to be in the Dropbox system to download, and that means individual by individual, I guess. Btw, I apologize for misspelling the word 'public' in the thread title.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

You don't have to join Dropbox to download from a shared link. I edited my post for the Ad Decimum 533 AD scenario and added the shared link for the files. I then went to another computer that did not have Dropbox installed or me logged into the Dropbox page in the browser. When I clicked on the shared link I was prompted to login or join Dropbox, but if you click on "No thanks" at the bottom of the dialog box the file will then download.

Ad Decimum 533 AD Scenario
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 92&t=39809

kilroy
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried it out. I wonder why they went to so much trouble just to make it more complicated.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

This is an example of the shared link for my Marcellae scenario file. The Dropbox link is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hzu7brejwbnk ... 0v1.04.zip?dl=0

The dl=0 stands for download=no, if you change it to dl=1 it means download=yes and the file will download. If you were using Dropbox to host images, changing this will allow you to post images like you were before they changed things to a shared link. :)

kilroy
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Thanks Kilroy. So the original links are useless then and we must repost the new ones over them if we want to continue sharing our custom scenarios and jpegs. For the benefit of all, I suggest that you post the instructions separately in a new thread and have an administrator turn it into a sticky.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I haven't the faintest idea how to make my scenarios available again now. Can anyone provide me with an "idiot's guide" please? First question - my scenarios are still sitting in my Dropbox account. Do I alter something in there or do I have to upload them all again?
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

stockwellpete wrote:I haven't the faintest idea how to make my scenarios available again now. Can anyone provide me with an "idiot's guide" please? First question - my scenarios are still sitting in my Dropbox account. Do I alter something in there or do I have to upload them all again?
As per Kilroy, you have to upload them again. As to what to do after that, you'd better ask Kilroy as I haven't tried it myself but as you can see from his posting in this thread, he has.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

If you are using Windows 10 open File Explorer and right click on the file and select "Copy Dropbox link" and paste it into the forum post that you are editing, replacing your original link. It will look something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hzu7brejwbnk ... 4.zip?dl=0

If you don't change the "0" at the end of the link to a "1" you will redirected to a Dropbox page with a dialog box, but if you do change it to a "1" the file will download immediately as before. The dl=0 stands for download=no, if you change it to dl=1 it means download=yes and the file will download. If you were using Dropbox to host images, changing this will allow you to post images like you were before they changed things to a shared link. You would change the above link to look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hzu7brejwbnk ... 4.zip?dl=1

kilroy
Last edited by kilroy1 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

kilroy wrote:If you are using Windows Explorer right click on the file and select "Copy Dropbox link" and paste it into the forum post that you are editing, replacing your original link. It will look something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hzu7brejwbnk ... 4.zip?dl=0
Thanks for helping Kilroy.

I have got Internet Explorer not Windows Explorer. Where are you right clicking on the file? In the scenario forum or in the Dropbox folder?

I tried the Dropbox folder and got this link without any dl=0 at the end (the original link ends at PWv2.rar
https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/ ... VHTfjyobAQ

So I must be doing something wrong although I don't know what. Sorry but I don't have much of a clue about all this. Any suggestions?

Edit: if you click on the link just above here it does give you the option to open or save the scenario. Could somebody try it please as I don't have FOG currently loaded on my PC. Are you able to access the scenario? If you can then that answers my question, I guess. I just right-click on all the scenarios in my Dropbox folder and replace the old link with the longer one. Is that right, Kilroy?
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

I've edited my previous post. Open File Explorer in windows and right click on that file to bring up the menu.

kilroy
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Dropbox changes - no more Public folder

Post by stockwellpete »

Kilroy, I am using Windows 7 and I am not aware that I have File Explorer. Can you just try that link in my previous post and see if it works Ok. I am just putting FOG back on my PC right now. I expect you have seen the announcement today for FOG 2?
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

I get an error when I click on the link. Go to the program you use to move/copy/rename files in windows and right click on the file in your Dropbox folder to bring up the menu. I signed up for the FoG 2 beta.

kilroy
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

kilroy wrote:I get an error when I click on the link. Go to the program you use to move/copy/rename files in windows and right click on the file in your Dropbox folder to bring up the menu. I signed up for the FoG 2 beta.

kilroy
I just get "Copy shortcut" and a link like this. But there is no dl=0 at the end.

https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/ ... VHTfjyobAQ
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

Check and see if you have the most recent version of Dropbox installed on your computer. You should have a Dropbox icon on the lower right side of the taskbar.

kilroy
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

kilroy wrote:Check and see if you have the most recent version of Dropbox installed on your computer. You should have a Dropbox icon on the lower right side of the taskbar.

kilroy
I can't see any Dropbox icon. I don't know which version I have but it must be a couple of years old. I think it is the freebie version.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Dropbox changes - no more Public folder

Post by stockwellpete »

Just to explain to anyone who has been following this tortuous saga - my Dropbox was very out of date so it was no wonder I was struggling to follow Kilroy's instructions. All sorted now though and I will update the links for all my scenarios as quickly as I can.

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”