Field of Glory Unity - How to convert custom scenarios

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

The Editor, and converting old custom scenarios

Conversion of your old custom scenarios for FoG Unity will be easily done via the game’s Editor.

Unfortunately, we still have some issues to solve with it, but we did not want to delay the release of Fog Unity further because of those. The Editor will be added via a patch as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you are impatient to try them in the new engine, there is a manual way to convert your custom scenarios:

You need to create a folder named “_Convert” in C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Field of Glory\FoG_Unity_Data
(or, in other words, within the FoG_Unity_Data folder in the game’s directory, wherever you installed it previously)

Once created, copy all your custom scenario directories (yes, you don’t need to do this one by one) into _Convert.

Fire up FoG Unity. While in the main menu, hit Alt Gr + F5 on your keyboard. This will have created an “_OUT” Folder within _Convert, that now contains your converted scenario files!

The next and final step is to take all the files ending in “.scn.pck” and copy them to the \Field of Glory\FoG_Unity_Data\SavedScenarios folder.
Then quit the game and start it again, and your scenarios will appear in the list of scenarios under “New Game” with a “C” prefix for easy identification.
If you want to share your work, you need to share these .scn.pck files which other users need to copy to the SavedScenarios folder, as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

El Editor y la conversión de escenarios antiguos.

La conversión de los viejos escenarios creados por la comunidad a FoG Unity podrá hacerse fácilmente a través del editor del juego.

Por desgracia tenemos aún algunos problemas que solventar con el editor y no hemos querido retrasar el lanzamiento de FoG Unity. Por ello el editor estará disponible vía parche lo antes posible. Mientras tanto, si eres de los impacientes y quieres probarlos con el nuevo motor, hay una forma manual de hacerlo:

Necesitarás crear una carpeta llamada “_Convert” en C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Field of Glory\FoG_Unity_Data
(o, en otras palabras, dentro de la carpeta FoG_Unity_Data en el directorio del juego o dondequiera que lo instalaras previamente)

Una vez creada, copia todos tus carpetas con los escenarios (sí, no necesitas hacerlo uno a uno) dentro de _Convert.

Ejecuta FoG Unity. Cuando estés en el menú principal, presiona Alt Gr + F5 en tu teclado. Esto creará una carpeta “_OUT” dentro de _Convert que contendrá tus archivos de escenarios ya convertidos.

El paso final será tomar todos los archivos terminados en “.scn.pck” y copiarlos en la carpeta \Field of Glory\FoG_Unity_Data\SavedScenarios.
Quita el juego y ejecútalo de nuevo. Ahora todos tus escenarios aparecerán en la lista de escenarios con una “C” para facilitar su identificación.
Si quieres compartir tu trabajo, necesitarás compartir también esos archivos .scn.pck para que los otros jugadores puedan copiarlos en la carpeta SavedScenarios.
VegasOZ
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Field of Glory Unity - How to convert custom scenarios

Post by VegasOZ »

I do not have the Alt "GR" key on my keyboard. How should I proceed to apply the conversion instructions without this key being present?

Thank you.
rwenstrup
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by rwenstrup »

I don't have a GR key either...
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

VegasOZ wrote:I do not have the Alt "GR" key on my keyboard. How should I proceed to apply the conversion instructions without this key being present?

Thank you.
it's RALT + F5
RALT is the right side ALT key. (sometimes labelled "Alt Car")

good luck
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

The process for converting custom scenarios does not work.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I have created a _Convert folder in the FOG_Unity_Data folder and I have copied all my scenarios from Docs/Slitherine/FOG scenarios. Then I launch the new game, get to the main menu and press Alt GR and F5 and nothing seems to happen. Presumably I should be able to see a yellow folder called _OUT containing all my scenarios inside my _Convert folder, should I? As for copying .scn.pck files, where are they? I am probably doing something wrong but I don't know what. :(
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 »

stockwellpete wrote:I have created a _Convert folder in the FOG_Unity_Data folder and I have copied all my scenarios from Docs/Slitherine/FOG scenarios. Then I launch the new game, get to the main menu and press Alt GR and F5 and nothing seems to happen. Presumably I should be able to see a yellow folder called _OUT containing all my scenarios inside my _Convert folder, should I? As for copying .scn.pck files, where are they? I am probably doing something wrong but I don't know what. :(
Press Right ALT F5 and release. Then press the tilde key to bring up the console - and wait. If they are being converted the console window will not show up until it has finished. If I bring up the console before converting it will not show any activity until I close and reopen it. Also, any of my scenarios made in 2010 and earlier it would not convert, and the conversion would stop. I loaded those scenarios in the old editor and saved them and then moved them to the _Convert folder. I would also have to delete everything in the _OUT and SavedScenarios folders before the converter would work again.

If you have edited any of the XML files to add Disrupted status, etc. it will remove that when it converts the scenario.

kilroy
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Press Right ALT F5 and release. Then press the tilde key to bring up the console - and wait. If they are being converted the console window will not show up until it has finished. If I bring up the console before converting it will not show any activity until I close and reopen it. Also, any of my scenarios made in 2010 and earlier it would not convert, and the conversion would stop. I loaded those scenarios in the old editor and saved them and then moved them to the _Convert folder. I would also have to delete everything in the _OUT and SavedScenarios folders before the converter would work again.

If you have edited any of the XML files to add Disrupted status, etc. it will remove that when it converts the scenario.

kilroy
What is Right ALT? I have Alt Gr on my keyboard. Is that the same thing? I pressed the tilde key (had to look up what that was) and the console appeared almost immediately. All my scenarios were made after 2010. So nothing is happening as far as I can tell.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

stockwellpete wrote:

kilroy
What is Right ALT? I have Alt Gr on my keyboard. Is that the same thing? I pressed the tilde key (had to look up what that was) and the console appeared almost immediately. All my scenarios were made after 2010. So nothing is happening as far as I can tell.
I have two ALT (Alt, Alt Gr, etc.) keys on my keyboard, one on the left side and one on the right side. Press and hold the ALT key on the right side of your keyboard and then the F5 key and then release them. If you are still having trouble I suggest that you delete everything in the _OUT and SavedScenarios folders and try again.

kilroy
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

kilroy wrote:
I have two ALT (Alt, Alt Gr, etc.) keys on my keyboard, one on the left side and one on the right side. Press and hold the ALT key on the right side of your keyboard and then the F5 key and then release them. If you are still having trouble I suggest that you delete everything in the _OUT and SavedScenarios folders and try again.

kilroy
Yes, I have been doing that. I have not been able to create an _OUT folder at all. All I have been able to do is put my scenarios in a new _Convert folder.
KhanDam2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by KhanDam2 »

Already post in Tech Support forum, sorry i don't know where i must post it

Hi,

I upgrade my Fog to Fog (U) without trouble.

I try to convert a lot of scenarii from v1 to V2(U), i follow your exelent instruction but i have a comment and an issue with convert process

the comment is there more easy if the converter display the progresion of convert process and if it can display there was and error occured and tell when it's finish.

Th Issue is i convert 265 Scen found on the Forun the converion make the job for 263 but hang with 2 ( without any message but break the conversion process and i must remove from convert dir to rerun the conversion.

The Scen are :

- Alternative Battle of Toro -> found here in version 1.1
- The Battle of Toro 1476AD -> found here in version 2.1

I can send zip file if you want to test conversion

Thanks in advance

Regards from France

Cheers
Semper Fi - Sicut Aquila
mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

How do you convert custom scenarios for MAC installations?
mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

Not only do you have different key functions of course, the conversion process must be different. And where are the files anyway? Thank you! Michael
ludiofelix

Post by ludiofelix »

For those of you still struggling with this, here's what worked for me. Try Right ALT+Shift+F5. If the process stops before all files are processed, move or delete the last one it tried (as shown in the log) and start again. I'm presuming the 20 or so scenarios that failed to import had some sort of compatibility problem with the converter. I have these saved, if anyone would like to debug.

Cheers,

Rob
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

Thanks everyone for the notes here, I was able to convert old scenarios to FOG Unity because of it, though awful painful it was.

Progress can be seen by having a window open to _OUT and you can see the PCK files being created.

However, over 240+ failed to convert, though 398 did convert. Yea, I really had a large collection. This conversion took several hours to accomplish because it would stop on every single scenario it had a problem with and I had to delete it before continuing, return to FOG Unity, and repeat Shift-RAlt-F5 to kick off the hundredth or so time. Ugh. Wish it would just accept error and go to next and not quit on conversion issue, just put out on log window which files had issue.

Must be a FOG version issue with the rejects, guess only the latest version is supported. They worked fine in my pre-Unity version FOG, so it has me puzzled why so many failed the conversion. Oh well, not like I still don't have a boat load of content, it will do. But some Caesar campaigns (scenario pack) refused to convert, so sad.

At least there is something and I can at least recover on user content somewhat. Appreciate the effort, just wish it wasn't such a slow and painful process.

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”