Battle of Drashpet, 709 AD

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Battle of Drashpet, 709 AD

Post by NikiforosFokas »

A battle in which Byzantines tried to install in Armenia the once rebelled against the Caliphate nobleman Smbat Bagratuni. Against them they find the great Arab commander Maslam ibn Abd al-Malik. The infos for the battle is from the History of Ghewond with a compination of infos from one Byzantine attack which refers almost the same time the Byzantine Historian Theophanes (personally i think it is the same battle). In reallity Arabs won fairly easily even though the byzantine army was big. There are no infos about the units of the Armies. But the date it is circa 700. Not hard to imagine. There was not yet tagmatic army for byzantines. The main body consists of soldiers from the two big Themes, Armeniac and Anatolikon. There is also some Slavs (yes 709 was Justianus II time :) ) and recently arived Mardaites. For the Arabs we know that Maslama's army's core was Syran Troops. But in the same time he was governor of Jazira (Mesopotamia). So some Arabs from there and Iraq had to complete their forces. The Arab official of Armenia (named ostikan) had to join the battle as Drashpet is in the area of Vanand in Armenia. The only risky (highly unrealistic) is the addition of some early PAulicians to the arab army. But they deserve a little bit attention 8) I hope no one will call the police. You are all witness me killing the english language.
Attachments
Battle of Drashpet, 709 AD.rar
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
For Byzantium!!
IMC

Re: Battle of Drashpet, 709 AD

Post by IMC »

Nice one Kostas!!!

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”