Ad Decimum 533 AD Scenario

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Ad Decimum 533 AD Scenario

Post by kilroy1 »

In 533 AD a Roman fleet landed an army under the command of Belisarius in North Africa to begin the reconquest from the Vandals. The Vandal king Gelimer planned to ambush the Romans at Ad Decimum: "toward the tenth" milestone on the road from Carthage. A small force under the king's brother Ammatas would hold the position at Ad Decimum between the sea and the hills long enough for another force under his nephew Gibamund to strike the flank of the Romans, while the king himself with the largest part of the army would attack the rear of the Romans.

Belisarius was advancing along the coast road having left his infantry (10,000 men) in camp. The Roman vanguard ran into the Vandal holding force killing Ammatas and routing his troops, while the Vandal force under Gibamund was defeated by the Roman flank guards composed of Huns and Heruls. Gelimer advanced toward Ad Decimum defeating the Roman Foederati who fled towards Belisarius, throwing his troops into disorder. When Gelimer saw the body of his brother he paused long enough to bury him, giving Belisarius the time to reorder his troops and launch an attack on the main Vandal force, defeating them, after which they fled into the desert.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z8lrorlcijjz ... 1.zip?dl=1

Unity version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2x1j9rm7qfo3 ... n.pck?dl=1

kilroy
Last edited by kilroy1 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Ad Decimum 533 AD Scenario

Post by ZeaBed »

A very interesting scenario that I plan to play soon. Many thanks.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

I couldn't wait and played a solitaire game. The Byzantines under Count B. really kicked gluteus in this one. Good that you used the large map setting when designing the scenario. Very enjoyable.
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

This is a really neat little scenario. I played it with Kilroy. The dispersed initial deployments make it really interesting for both sides. I wish more scenarios had this sort of initial deployment.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

lascar wrote:This is a really neat little scenario. I played it with Kilroy. The dispersed initial deployments make it really interesting for both sides. I wish more scenarios had this sort of initial deployment.
+1 on dispersed deployment scenarios, lascar. I've found greater enjoyment and more tactical challenges from such a layout. Reminds me of an old tabletop version of Kadesh that I once played in which the Hittites managed to defeat the larger but dispersed Egyptian by rapidly confronting its units in detail.
frankpowerful
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by frankpowerful »

it's a pity BGs retreat in the wrong direction...that one can't set the direction for each unit is a known shortcoming of the design tool, but in this case you could rotate the map 90 degrees
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

frankpowerful wrote:it's a pity BGs retreat in the wrong direction...that one can't set the direction for each unit is a known shortcoming of the design tool, but in this case you could rotate the map 90 degrees
The scenario has been updated. I edited one of the XML files so that the Romans will now retreat to the "East" and the Vandals to the "West". The Free Deployment does not work properly, but I really never intended it to be played that way...

kilroy
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Very good. But how did you manage to edit the game files? I wanted to do that with my ill-fated Crecy scenarios in which this directional problem is made worse by the "experimental" slanted screen.
frankpowerful
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by frankpowerful »

thanks kilroy, i'm going to replay it
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

ZeaBed wrote:Very good. But how did you manage to edit the game files? I wanted to do that with my ill-fated Crecy scenarios in which this directional problem is made worse by the "experimental" slanted screen.
I've sent you a PM.

kilroy
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

kilroy wrote:
ZeaBed wrote:Very good. But how did you manage to edit the game files? I wanted to do that with my ill-fated Crecy scenarios in which this directional problem is made worse by the "experimental" slanted screen.
I've sent you a PM.

kilroy
Got it. Thanks!
Schweinewitz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Schweinewitz »

Thanks for this scenario, Kilroy. It gave me back the joy of playing this game. The setup of the troops on the large map and the terrain make it interesting to play.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

The Unity version of the scenario is available for download.

kilroy

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”