Game Unplayable due to Heavy Flickering

Tech support for PC & Mac. Please post your OS and version number when reporting bugs.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

There could well be driver issues which cause the Aero support to not play well with the OpenGL support. This is a great fix though - hopefully it will help anyone else struggling with this issue, especially those for whom there aren't updated drivers available.

Cheers

Pip
Examinondas
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Examinondas »

PDiFolco wrote: Yeah, you're da man, it works !! thannnks !!! :D
You're welcome! :D
PDiFolco wrote: However, the help/manual screen doesn't appear, the screen only displays "close" and nothing else... :cry:
Also, I got a message that "windows run now in base colors as a program is not compatible with some desktop elements" (may be a bit different as I've translated a French message...). Isn't that linked to Aero stuff ? :?:
Both problems also happen to me. The aero change is only temporary (while the game is running), and I usually open the manual outside the game with a web browser, so I can live with them.
Examinondas

Post by Examinondas »

Another problem of the compatibility fix is that windows like the null-pointer or restore-after-crash ones are not shown. This can make you believe that the game (and the computer) has hanged, but in fact FoG is just waiting for you to click on something you can't see.

The solution I have found is to log out from the session using windows+l, log in again, and click on the FoG icon in the taskbar. This will you show the window.

Anyway, I have read that starting with catalyst 10.3 (due to be out this month), we will be able to install the standard ATI drivers in any laptop (except for a few manufacturers like Toshiba and Sony, IIRC), so hopefully we will be able to update our radeon drivers and forget about the compatibility fix.
Examinondas

Post by Examinondas »

Just installed the "Catalyst 10.3 preview" driver in my acer laptop without problems. FoG is now flicker-free :D

From what I have read, this driver should work with laptops of all brands except Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba.

The driver can be downloaded from http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tip ... eview.aspx
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Game Unplayable due to Heavy Flickering

Post by t341 »

I have had this problem with several of their games they were unable to resolve the issue so the games are unplayable
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by t341 »

I have had this problem with several Slitherine games after I purchased a new computer (Dell Precision workstation) and dell curved 34" monitor. I had similar problems with my older Dell 30" ultra sharp monitor and studio XPS computer but they were resolved. This time there has been no resolution and several of the games i purchased are now unplayable especially Sengoku, Pike and shot Campaign and one of the Battle academy dlcs. Very disappointing. Almost all other games going back to John tiller work. They told me I was the only one having this problem so it's "nice" to see other in the same predicament.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

@HMS
This thread that your are necroing, is regarding Field of Glory old engine version. Pike & Shot and Battle Academy uses a complete different engine.
I'm really sorry that we weren't able to help you, but the issue is specific with your system, 99.99% of the other players don't experience.
It's always possible that you'll find more similar issues in other threads (or on other game forums), but please keep in mind these are isolated cases.

Return to “Field of Glory : Tech Support”