Lone Tiger AAR

Open beta forum

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Lone Tiger AAR

Post by Old_Warrior »

This is a good mission. I enjoyed playing it twice.

In both playings I was not able to kill 10 units in 4 turns. I just didn't want my lone tiger to get toasted by some infantry unit in a building or other cover.

I had a 6lber wipe out a Tiger in both games. I did not think it possible for that AT gun to do that but oh well. So in both playings I was not able to get the "Do not Lose a Tiger" ACH.

I was able to kill 30 units in the first playing. Nowhere near 50 at the end of the mission.

I lost all Tigers in both missions. Was playing pretty cautious too. Felt that the Tigers are very hard to keep alive due to the congested nature of the terrain.

The infantry on the south edge of the map that arrive as reinforcements: in my first playing they were wiped out. In my second game I just moved them "west" away from the Brit forces and used halftracks to ferry them to other locations on the map.

The PzKw IVs were brewed up rather easily. I noted to my dismay that I ambushed a Cromwell from the rear as it came around a hedge but didn't brew and then the Brit tank turned and got off not ONE but TWO shots before mine could fire again. I guess my crew was green ... brewed up the panzer and that was that.

In all cases the UI read correctly when an ACH was achieved (or lost). The stars at the end of the mission seemed to work right as well.

Suggestion: forget trying to take the 5 objectives. Not sure that it is even possible. Just put up a number of German units that should not be lost. I would say that the Germans should have to kill FORTY units to win, not THIRTY. Remove the ACH for 50 Brit units replacing it with the German loss ACH I note above.

Has anyone achieved all of the mission objectives in one game in this one? I would think it hard to kill 50 units, do not lose a Tiger AND take all 5 objectives too.

Love the map. It is def. one of the better "bocage" maps in the BA inventory.
citizen6
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Lone Tiger AAR

Post by citizen6 »

Hi Old_Warrior

In Tunisia and Sicily it was hard for a 6pdr to take out a Tiger and almost impossible against front armour but there were a couple of improvements in AP rounds between those battles and the end of the war. In March 1944 APDS ammo was introduced which pretty much doubled the muzzle velocity of the shot and was capable of penetrating ~130mm at close range, which meant that at the ~200m range they were capable of frontally penetrating a tiger (~100mm).

I have indeed achieved all the objectives on this one a few times, but you do need to use a combined arms approach and recon with halftracks and infantry where possible.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Lone Tiger AAR

Post by Old_Warrior »

Recon with halftrack - instant destruction on first shots. Same with infantry. Crushed by tank or infantry fire.

You must get REALLY lucky in your games - that is all I can say. I don't which leads me to have to try a bit harder than most people. I have the WORST luck in games. Its amazing I still play.

I could sit next to your Sherman with a Tiger II - miss you twice and then get wiped out by an Airborne scout that moves in the open and assaults me from the FRONT. LOL (just kidding on that last one as both know that is impossible)

But to give you some idea of my luck see my AAR for mission #5 - Holding the Fortress.

Return to “Battle Academy : Open Beta”