I have just had the pleasure...

iPad/PC/PSP/iPhone : Fast paced empire building strategy game, with city management, armies, battles, diplomacy and more.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

I have just had the pleasure...

Post by gollummen »

I have just had the pleasure of getting to know Egypt - Engineering an Empire.

I hesitated to buy the game, because I thought I would get frustrated at the simplicity, but I must say that the level of strategy in this title is impressive.
It is simple, but has room for lots of strategy.
All in all I think it is a really good game and well worth the money even on PC.

After playing it for a few days I have come up with a list of questions and comments:

The upkeep of a unit or building is a % of its cost.
Could you reveal that %?

How does the heal function work? It seems to be free, but if it is why not just let units that does not move heal?

The forts increase the units “surviveability”. What does that mean?

At level 1 gold mines provide 0.5 gold for each citizen, but at level 2 the gold mine provide 15 gold for each house level in the city. If you have a city with a population of 100, level 3 housing and level 1 gold mine, then it would not be a good idea to upgrade the mine (45 gold compared to 50 gold).

Sea peoples and Sheridan infantry are described as heavy infantry in the barracks. I think they should be light infantry. Seems confusing.

Could you tell us a little about the combat mechanism?

Could you tell us how diplomacy is handled?
What makes other people angry (crossing their border, spying, being a threat to them etc.) and what, if anything besides tribute, makes them friendly?

What are the basic income of a city before upkeep and income from buildings?

Once again, thanks for a good game!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks - glad you are enjoying the game but we have a new game releasing today (Panzer Corps) so dont really have time to reply. When that calsm down I'll try to come back to this!
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

ok :)

Good luck with the release and thanks for the quick reply.
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

Another question:

Does the tribute to other nations really go into their treasury?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Doing this from memory so can't guarantee its 100% correct!

The upkeep of a unit or building is a % of its cost. Could you reveal that %?
>>> Its set in the stats file but is generally about 10% of its cost I think.

How does the heal function work? It seems to be free, but if it is why not just let units that does not move heal?
>>> Heal did cost resources at some point - it may be free now. It coudl just be a hang over from teh changes we made but I can't remember for sure!

>>> Its a unit stat - makes them harder to kill. Also increases their strength points. +1 for a city and +1 for each additional fort level.

At level 1 gold mines provide 0.5 gold for each citizen, but at level 2 the gold mine provide 15 gold for each house level in the city. If you have a city with a population of 100, level 3 housing and level 1 gold mine, then it would not be a good idea to upgrade the mine (45 gold compared to 50 gold).
>>> These are in addition, so you get the 0.5 plus 15 gold per house level.

Sea peoples and Sheridan infantry are described as heavy infantry in the barracks. I think they should be light infantry. Seems confusing.
>>> I think its typo. We'll look to correct this.

Could you tell us a little about the combat mechanism?
>>> The target type determines which combat value you use against them. This is compared with the defence and other modifiers such as terrain to generate a chance to hit. Then a random roll is made to see how many casualties are inflicted.

Could you tell us how diplomacy is handled? What makes other people angry (crossing their border, spying, being a threat to them etc.) and what, if anything besides tribute, makes them friendly?
>>> The relationshiup takse in to account wars you have had, passing through their territory, attacking their friends, being a weak target for them or a powerful enemy. Its quite complex really and lots of factors feed in. Tributes paid to the Ai feed in their treasury but they may not be able to store it all!

What are the basic income of a city before upkeep and income from buildings?
>>> I think its 1 per population unit.
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

Thanks
>>> Its a unit stat - makes them harder to kill. Also increases their strength points. +1 for a city and +1 for each additional fort level.
So im guessing that it is the armour that gets a bonus.
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

Another question:

Before spying on the other nations their cityes show a very large income value around 700 or 800 gold.
When you succesfully spy on them the value drop to the current income.

Is that the max income, or?

Return to “Egypt - Engineering an Empire”