Any first impression on the game ?

iPad/PC/PSP/iPhone : Fast paced empire building strategy game, with city management, armies, battles, diplomacy and more.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

papajack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Any first impression on the game ?

Post by papajack »

Anyone can give a mini review on the game

Thanks
dwtheriault
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by dwtheriault »

Well, it seems similar to Troy, Spartan, etc. but MUCH easier to instantly figure out and manage cities. I wish I could take more advantage of my 22 inch screen (aka adjust the main map resolution at least) and the limit of only 6 units per army group seems limiting but I think it'll make me plan a little more when I build my armies. Haven't played enough to see if navies are able to be built (I don't think so), but the army types are enough to keep me in that dreaded "one more turn" mode. Not much of a manual (9 pages) and no documented build tree available but maybe in a later patch or something.

So far, I can see some room for improvement but I'd give it a solid B+ or even A- for the pure playability factor.

Dave
Birdmon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Birdmon »

Just installed it - will report back soon! :D
spelk
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by spelk »

It's a simplified game to the likes of Spartan and Troy etc, as people have mentioned it seems quite limited in what you can do in a city (you can only produce one thing at a time), and your armies have only 6 units. I think the biggest gripe I have is that the game is very dialogue heavy, every decision seems to be stacked with a confirmation box, for yet more clicking. It feels like a DS game thats been ported up to the PC. Battles play out more like Heroes of Might and Magic than anything thats come from the Slitherine stable before.
Birdmon

Post by Birdmon »

The battle map is small, no ZOC and cant see where they can move - makes tactics moot. I just hit resolve...thats not good.
MesaDon
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MesaDon »

When I have played the unit you are going to move or attack with is highlighted along with the hexes it can move to. There are no zones of control but there is a chart that gives an idea of what can happen if you attack. also uses icons to show units that you can attack or hit with missle fire.
papajack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by papajack »

I will be buying this game this after all

From what I gather , this game is like Panzer General which draw casual gamer to world of wargames

I for one , will never dream of playing a tactical wargame if not because of Panzer General and I believe History Egypt Engineering will do the same in opening Empire Building strategy games to many others

I buy a lot of Slitherine games base on one simple pricinple " Easy to play but hard to master " and I do not see any different in this game

Cheers
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It is aimed at the entry level wargamer so if that is teh kind of thing you like then you shoudl be happy. A few people have picked it up expecintg something a bit more in depth and been disappointed.

The problem is that you guys who comment onm the forum are by nature hardcore to some degree as you took the time to register and discuss the game. The quiet majority we'll never hear from so we have to use best gusses to try and work out what appeals to them and learn from other games that have been successful such as Advance Wars. This is the kind of level of detail you can expect from Egypt Engineering an Empire, but in a historical setting.
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

I must agree with iain.

The game is for those new to the genre. And it is a great way to learn the game this way. I showed my little cousin the beta version. He is saving up for the game as we speak. When he gets the hang of it, I will show him Spartan and such.
MesaDon

Post by MesaDon »

I am a hardcore loser in most games so the chance to win appeals to me. I bought it and lost :cry: but did win in the tutorial :D .
papajack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by papajack »

Just bought the gam and downloading now

Will come back with my feedback soon

Cheers
papajack
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by papajack »

Now I have to say I love the battle format , just like Panzer General Style , this is already a big plus point for me

About the too many clicking , well this is to prevent mistake from happening but an option to turn it on/off will be nice although I personally find it useful

Currently I just running through the tutorial and will report more once get to the real action
JocaRamiro
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by JocaRamiro »

My impression is that I cannot figure out how to beat the AI in the Egyptian campaign. The Persians go down, but by then the Macedonians have built up an unchallengeable lead. So, if this is wrong tactics, I would like to be corrected.

Return to “Egypt - Engineering an Empire”