Tank Armor

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Commanderpatton
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Tank Armor

Post by Commanderpatton »

So I've just found a post that accurately displays the supposed "effective" armor of tanks with the slopes taken into consideration. Many tanks in game arent properly armored, some have too much armor i.e. Tiger while some have too few i.e. Churchill, Jumbo.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... omparison/
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tank Armor

Post by IainMcNeil »

We take a top down approach to try and ensure the end results are accurate without getting the data matching the theoretical armour values as these don't take account of design defects or build quality, so we try and tweak the data to match what happened in the real world, if that makes sense!
Commanderpatton

Post by Commanderpatton »

But, I don't think the Churchill and Jumbo had armor that was that weak. In fact, the tanks that had quite a questionable quality were the late war German panzers. Some even had issues of armor that cracked when hit by enemy shells.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Later German tanks had the best armor and sometimes survived dozens of hits from Russian and American tanks.
This is a good book if you want to read personal accounts of panzers in battle and they describe every detail of the actions and the # of hits the tanks take is astonishing.
https://www.amazon.com/Battles-1943-45- ... 0811729052

The biggest problems were damage to periscopes and view ports for commander, driver and gunner, track damage, as well as losing the vital radio antenna from artillery and bombers that constantly damaged panzers, and there was a ventilation system that would stop when damaged which was a big problem cause of the vapors from the gun firing and stifling heat.
AgrippaMaxentius

Post by AgrippaMaxentius »

The most interesting issue here that people often overlook is that many British, American and German tanks were hit multiple times without incident. A tremendous amount of kills had to do with armor placement, elevation and of course distance. I think a churchulll getting a side shot at a tiger at 100 m might spell death for the tiger crew, pure speculation. Spalling also comes into effect, even without penetration later German tank crews were killed or seriously wounded due to spalling, often killing the crew and leaving the tank totally in tact.
A strategy wargamer and youtube director, if Strategy and Voice-Roleplay is your thing, make a quick stop by the channel. Thank you, and keep up the fight Herr General! https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius

Return to “Battle Academy”