Site Announcement! Battle Academy for iPad Out Now!

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Site Announcement! Battle Academy for iPad Out Now!

Post by IainMcNeil »

Not all custom scenarios are in the iPad version as we have to wait for the designers to complete them and sign off and then give us permission to host them.
Beakie
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Beakie »

Hi,

Just wanted to ask a quick question this is my second purchase of a Slitherine game (Panzer Corps being the first).
Any chance that Panzer Corps will make it to iPad?

Also, wanted to say I'm very pleased and not at all upset by the price point set for BA. I'm just very glad to see REAL WARGAMES released on the iPad. I picked it up as soon as I heard about.

If any more Expansions are made for the Desktop Versions will they be available as in game purchases for the iPad as well?

Well, keep up the good work and Thank You....

Beakie

P.S. even though I'm not a good enough player for Multiplayer. I'm glad it's still an option.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We'd like to bring Panzer Corps to iPad but news on that right now.

BA on all platforms will remain completely synced so any content or features on PC will also be on Mac/iPad and any other format.
YohanTM2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by YohanTM2 »

Hi, are the iPad rules on the site? I just bought the game and would like to print the rules from my PC.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

You can grab a PDF of the initial manual from here:

http://www.slithdata.net/files/bbc_ba/B ... ual_UK.pdf

The iPad uses the same game rules as the PC and Mac versions.

Cheers

Pip
Drangus
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Drangus »

After reading this thread I learned that other folks are also having trouble buying the in-app uploads for the additional three campaigns. I too am in this predicament. I am an older guy with an I-pad and don't know much about computers. My wife says that the in-app purchases is enabled on our machine. All I get is the waiting and clock running but the campaigns don't download. Forgive my ignorance but I have to ask, how come I can't just purchase the extra content on I-tunes like I did the game?

BTW, this game is fabulous. My only dissapointment so far has been the fact that I haven't been able to get the rest of the stuff downloaded. Maybe an option to buy the whole game at once on I-tunes for people like me might be a good idea.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you're having problems. The app store doesn't sell IAP (In app purchases). The only way to get them is in app.

You need to have an internet connection when making the purchase so this would be the first thing to check. The IAP is all handled on the Apple servers and we don't have much visibility on how it works or what's not working when it doesnt work.

I'd just try again when you're sure the connection is working and see how it goes.
Drangus

Post by Drangus »

Ian thank you for getting back to me so soon. I took the I-pad into the local Apple store and they took care of the problem. I now delighted to have all the in-app uploads.

I love this game, please make more WW2 campaigns for my I-pad, I would snap up anything WW2 related i.e. PTO, MTO, and especially Eastern front stuff. Also wouldn't mind seeing some North atlantic stuff with ships and U-boats. I own a few turn based computer WW2 games, but this one has very quickly become my favorite. Love the comic book style graphics, love the music, and I especially like that the controls are so intuitive and easy to use.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Great! We have plans for more games - e.g. Panzer Corps is planned for iPad next.
Winroth

Post by Winroth »

I noticed that in the info of the game ipad is listed among the platforms for the main game, but not for the add ons or for the updates.
Can you get the addons and updates for ipad?
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

Yes you can.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The reason they have no product page is they are only available via in app purchase on iPad and we cant send you a link to purchase them.
Possible

Post by Possible »

Would love the opportunity to play your game but 20 bucks is way to high especially when i see a list of 3 in app 10 dollar purchases. You have no distribution costs on the app store (selling to 1 person costs the same as selling to 1,000,000) and I am shocked to see your game set so much higher everyone else.

At a 4 or 5 dollar price point your game would reach more than 10 times the number of people and I'm sure you can do the math. And this is not completely idle speculation. It appears, (in level complexity, content and the potential for costumization as well as community size) that your game has many parallels to Battle of Wesnoth, another PC to iStore port. At time of writing your game has 44 reviews while Wesnoth (which has been out far longer but was sold for 5 bucks (now 4) and gave all in-game content free) has 568 reviews and was in several in app top charts for months.

Civilizations Revolutions sold for 10 dollars (has since dropped down to 3 dollars) and has been reviewed 3,899 times. Bastion, released about the same time as yours at a 5 dollar price point has been reviewed 361 times. You have priced yourself to far above the market without proper cause (even fully functional versions of adobe acrobat, Microsoft office and GPS systems do not cost as much as your full purchase cost of 50 dollars (including the in app costs to fully own your product).

I would like your product to reach more people because it looks like fun and I would be one of those purchasers. As is, I will be missing out on what is probably a very good game.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi Possible thanks for the mail but with 20 years of experience selling these games your assumptions about how things work are incorrect. What applies to the general gaming audience does not apply here. The audience for these games is pretty fixed and by selling at a lower price point we sell very few more copies but massively reduce overall revenue meaning we cant sustain development. There are no other games like Battle Academy in the app store and any comparison is liking comparing apples and pears. We have 404 reviews of which average 4.5 stars. Players love the game and the price is not an issue for them.
johntindall
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by johntindall »

It all comes down to value for money. Premium products such as this can (and should) come with premium prices.

For $20, I've already got far more enjoyment hours out of this app than anything else I've bought. The value for money for me is outstanding.

You watch - I think others will follow Slitherine's example in time.
Beakie
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Beakie »

I don't see what the problem is...

This game is a full featured wargame selling at roughly the same price as the other versions of it.... Minus the Map Editor of course.... And, being this,

It should have the same price as all other versions I own 2 Ipads and have yet to understand why people think that anything on an Ipad has to be 0.99 - $4.99 to make money.

The time and effort put into these products shows through I would be really really hard pressed to see how this company could make a profit and keep going as a viable company on 0.99 a game.

This is not a 5 minute time waster to play while waiting in line somewhere this game takes time and thought to play. The value is there as anyone who has bought and played the game can plainly see. And, these are the same people that scream about the high price on the Ipad and think nothing of spending $50-$60 on a console or PC Game. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me....

I guess I blame the first Apps put in the Appstore for setting the price point too low that it drives Quality games like this away from a fine gaming platform. Thank you Slitherine for taking a chance on the Ipad. And, I hope the experience has been profitable enough that you will continue to develop for the Ipad.

Beakie
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Thanks for the support and positive comments, these are mirrored by other players who have purchased the game and left very favourable comments on Apple. These comments have been a major factor in the success of the game.
So your support is vital to us and is very much appreciated. The game has been so well received that we will be bringing more games to the IPad.

Regards JDM
Beakie
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Beakie »

Great to hear that the game did well enough to justify further development on the Ipad... You have just made my day....

I know you have announced an Ipad version of Panzer Corps (can't wait) any other games under consideration???

Beakie
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Legion one of our earlier titles is also nearing completion, this is one of my personal favourites, so looking forward to this one myself

Regards
JDM
Mkboy1313
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mkboy1313 »

I've been using the iPad version exclusively since August - definitely the best investment I made in gaming. With my iPad out of commission for a while in repairs though, i'm lost. I wish I qualified for a discount on the Mac version. I'd love to buy it to get me through my iPad-less near-term future.

Return to “Battle Academy”