Allied armor quality

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

TerryV6
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Allied armor quality

Post by TerryV6 »

At some level, and I have done a lot of reading, I have always known about the quality of our armor. But after playing this game, I've gained new sympathy for allied armor crews. I wonder what the morale levels were like? Are there any good books out there on this type of topic?

Btw, we have a Sherman parked out by our Legion club, which I got very dirty climbing on when I was little.
kme37158
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kme37158 »

I can remember reading a number of first hand accounts from Normandy with allied tanks firing point blank twice at a Tiger only for them to be destroyed. You can;t but help wonder why they did not give up. Hence the tactic on two tanks taking turns to fire while the third snuck behind. Good unless you are up against a defensive line.
Lynz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Lynz »

There was a true case in Italy where one german 88 brewed up 18 Shermans in quick succession. Shortly thereafter the gun crew surrendered. When the Lt in command of it was questioned why he surrendered he said it was simple, "I had 18 shells - you had 19 tanks."

Shermans were were nicknamed Ronsons by their crews. Cause they lit first time everytime.

Thank God for allied aircover. And of course the bravery of our tank crews.;
poop17
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by poop17 »

Sherman only superior in some regards to the earlier German light and medium tanks of 1939-41, such as panzer III and IV when first deployed in North Africa.
kme37158

Re: Allied armor quality

Post by kme37158 »

Then again early in the war Allied tanks totally outclassed the Axis tanks. Matildas were the Tigers of the day and the French tanks were quite modern for the time. The Germans only had about 50 Panzer IV when they invaded France or so I heard. Amazing how many games in that time have them all show up at there battle.
Lynz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Allied armor quality

Post by Lynz »

That is entirely true about French tanks. It is a myth they were inferior to the German machines. The French not only had far better tanks, but many more of them. Where they failed was in the use of them. Whereas the Germans concentrated theirs in Panzer Regiments the French spread theirs out in small numbers amongst the Infantry. The Bis for instance were typically used as infantry support in squads of 4.

The same goes for the French Airforce. Their planes were a match for the 109's. Again, doctrine was their downfall.

What is surprising of course, is that the concept of Blitzkrieg is not German in origin, but British. And the tactical use of airpower Italian.

Return to “Battle Academy”