Spanish Colonial list - Indian auxiliary allies

Private forum for design team.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, nikgaukroger, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Spanish Colonial list - Indian auxiliary allies

Post by rbodleyscott »

As commented in my last update, these presumably need an end date beyond which they would not retain any distictive fighting style.
Last edited by rbodleyscott on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

There is also the issue of whether some of them at least were re-equipped with Chinantec-style or converted-Chinantec pikes as per the quote MikeK sent:
MikeK wrote:I found in the scanned West American History

“Considerable alarm was created by the appearance of long pikes, like those of the Chinantecs, directed particularly against the cavalry. Fortunately they were not numerous, nor were the pikemen sufficiently practised to be very dangerous.“

Later the Aztecs were more organized. The Spanish also relied on the spear/pikes, in ref to the army in Tlascala after Christmas, it says after Christima “The main reliance of the infantry was in the swords and pikes, the long Chinantec poles being largely introduced, even among the allies, and made effective by long drilling. The nucleus of the troops, whereon rested the highest hopes, was of course the horsemen, whose safety had been carefully looked to by providing the steeds with poitrels, and side and quarter coverings of stout bulls'- hide, reaching to the hocks. They were fringed with small pieces of iron which jingled like bells, and were supposed to add to the terror ever spread by these animals among the natives.® The riders were equally protected, some with helmet and body mail of steel, which covered even the limbs, leaving the wearer vulnerable only at the joints.' Others had less complete mail, while many possessed only the twisted cotton armor worn by the foot-soldiers, though this was sufficiently effective in native warfare.
I am wondering whether these troops (however equipped) would be better represented as Auxiliary troops in the main list than as allies. Maybe there should not be any actual Indian ally contingents at all by 1526.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Heath says Indian style weapons remained in use, although Spanish swords replaced the Indian ones. he has quotes mentioning Indian archers for example.

I noticed I had missed a reference to Aztec auxiliaries in 1542 so they need to be allowed later.

Fair point on whether they should be allied contingents - perhaps say they are picked as allies, but without commanders and are just part of the army as a whole?

BTW Otomi armies operating on behalf of the Spanish were fielded until 1590 - may need to update that list.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nikgaukroger wrote:Fair point on whether they should be allied contingents - perhaps say they are picked as allies, but without commanders and are just part of the army as a whole?
I will look at the possibility of adding lines for them in the main list. This might work better anyway, as it seems unlikely that they should get as many Superior troops as in their home lists. (Probably none in fact).

The main troops they need to include are fairly large numbers of:

Warriors with Javelins, Impact Foot, Swordsmen. (Average/Poor) (Tlaxcalans, Otomi, Aztecs etc.)
Warriors with Bow. (Average/Poor) (Tlaxcalans, Otomi, Tarascans etc.)
Warriors with Spearmen capability. (To represent Chinantecs and others converted to "pikes") (Average/Poor)
Skirmishers with atlatl or bow - not many (Average/Poor)

I will do this tomorrow unless you can perceive any issues with it. Then to keep it simple we put the lines all as "Only before 1590" (or 1591) as any of these troop-types could be Otomi.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Sounds a good way to go and keeps it simples. Before 1591 as Otomis were used until 1590 I believe.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Return to “FoGR Lists”