Private forum for design team.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, nikgaukroger, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Caribbean Terrain?

Post by SirGarnet »

Some thoughts in response to the ?

The Caribs live in a more tropical latitude than the Arawak, but I think the key thing is the breakdown of terrain types and what that means in terms of troop usage. Many of these islands are volcanic in origin, generally lush, but not dense jungle. The problem with the tropical terrain choices is that basically you have a little Brush or otherwise Forest, Marsh Steep Hills or Villages (or Impassable). Woodlands also gives plantations and gullies, and removes Impassable, which might work better.

Agricultural works in the case of later development on these islands, but was the land cleared and enclosed at the time of these early campaigns? I have read the Arawaks used irrigation ditches and ponds to some extent, but were largely slash and burn farmers on land and of course active fishermen. EF seems unlikely.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Caribbean Terrain?

Post by nikgaukroger »

MikeK wrote:Some thoughts in response to the ?

The Caribs live in a more tropical latitude than the Arawak, but I think the key thing is the breakdown of terrain types and what that means in terms of troop usage. Many of these islands are volcanic in origin, generally lush, but not dense jungle. The problem with the tropical terrain choices is that basically you have a little Brush or otherwise Forest, Marsh Steep Hills or Villages (or Impassable). Woodlands also gives plantations and gullies, and removes Impassable, which might work better.

Agricultural works in the case of later development on these islands, but was the land cleared and enclosed at the time of these early campaigns? I have read the Arawaks used irrigation ditches and ponds to some extent, but were largely slash and burn farmers on land and of course active fishermen. EF seems unlikely.

Tropical and Hilly IMO. To be honest I find territory types only need to be "close enough for government work", and aren't worth thinking too much about :)
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The Spanish census of 1495/1496 showed a population of Hispaniola of > 1,000,000 - could that be supported without proper agriculture?
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

Slash and burn is proper agriculture in the absence of crop rotation - the end result would be fresh growth, uneven or rough, rather than the sharp division of forest and fields of, for example, southeast Asian rice paddies. The problem with Agricultural is enclosures, though irrigation ditches are linear obstacles.

Return to “FoGR Lists”