FoG II vs FoG (U)

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Blackbirdx61
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

FoG II vs FoG (U)

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

As some of use have a pretty substantial investment in expansions like immortal Fire. Two questions.

1. Will I be able to load Immortal Fire scenerios into the new app?

2. As Unity is painfully and obviously incomplete; took me about a week to figure that out guys. Do you plan to continue development of FoG Unity?

Suggestion as a new player who found this out the hard way, I suggest you just make 1.8 the default down load; vs having people download a half assed product you all have not up dated in a year and now seems to be headed for the bit bucket.

Tom
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: FoG II vs FoG (U)

Post by TheGrayMouser »

The long and the short is Newrosoft is still possibly working on the unity version of the game, but he ( one man show) is no longer funded by Slitherine... So basically what ever will come out of it is what the develop choses to do on his own free time.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 84&t=73719

FOG 2 is a completely different game and engine, so no DLC's for FOG1 will be compatible.
Blackbirdx61

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

Thanks Mouse. Enjoy the rest of ur Weekend.
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

I hope the Unity version can continue to be supported as i bought the FOG collection around christmas time (though i owned the base game from earlier on). Had i known that it was unlikely to be updated I'd have probably avoided it to be honest and gone for pike and shot + sengoku back then. Now i still hope Dan can pull of some magic but realistically, without slitherine's support anymore in the development of the update, and being tied to other projects makes such hopes very unrealistic. Furthermore with FOG 2 round the corner it's increasingly likely that FOG1 will be sidelined as a low priority.

A nice gesture by slitherine would be if those of us that back the expansion packs maybe had them cross over into FOG 2 or at least qualify for a discount. As i bought the product in good faith, knowing that there were issues with the unity version but thought it would be resolved and go on to be a better product than it was pre unity, giving it a new leash of life but this didn't turn out to be the case. Perhaps the biggest grievance is with the Viking based expansion as that one is only on the unity version, and not available in the original form of the game.

Sorry if i sound a bit negative as maybe everything will turn out ok on the unity version after all, but throwing FOG1 owners a bone with regards to the second game, should the first one not get fixed, would be a great way to reward customer loyalty and would even help FOG 2 have a solid player base to support it after it's launch. Though i'm sure it's going to be a successful title regardless, an active online multiplayer community in FOG2 would be a draw to newcomers.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

They are developed by different teams, so development on one will not affect support on the other.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Vargas78 wrote:I hope the Unity version can continue to be supported as i bought the FOG collection around christmas time (though i owned the base game from earlier on). Had i known that it was unlikely to be updated I'd have probably avoided it to be honest and gone for pike and shot + sengoku back then. Now i still hope Dan can pull of some magic but realistically, without slitherine's support anymore in the development of the update, and being tied to other projects makes such hopes very unrealistic. Furthermore with FOG 2 round the corner it's increasingly likely that FOG1 will be sidelined as a low priority.

A nice gesture by slitherine would be if those of us that back the expansion packs maybe had them cross over into FOG 2 or at least qualify for a discount. As i bought the product in good faith, knowing that there were issues with the unity version but thought it would be resolved and go on to be a better product than it was pre unity, giving it a new leash of life but this didn't turn out to be the case. Perhaps the biggest grievance is with the Viking based expansion as that one is only on the unity version, and not available in the original form of the game.

Sorry if i sound a bit negative as maybe everything will turn out ok on the unity version after all, but throwing FOG1 owners a bone with regards to the second game, should the first one not get fixed, would be a great way to reward customer loyalty and would even help FOG 2 have a solid player base to support it after it's launch. Though i'm sure it's going to be a successful title regardless, an active online multiplayer community in FOG2 would be a draw to newcomers.
Hello Vargas,

i think the problem is smaller as it looks like. From my personall point of view a fog unity was not necassary at all, i was always happy with the original FOG.
The original FOG covers a large timeperiod from egypts untill 1500 with great graphics, lots of scenarios which comes with the game and around 1000 usermade scenarios. For me this is absoulut fantastic and i"m greatful to all people who worked for this game. Also fog unity is a good game even it is not perfect. I"m happy cathyso is still working for the game. I"m sure this game will always have its fanclub. Fog 2 will not be an alternative for all players. I dont like 3d games and a stratgame without hexfields is on the long run a funkiller for me, but thats only my personally oppinion. So all people who likes to keep fog 1 alive should support cathyso in every way which possible , testing for exemple.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Micha is right. FoG (U) wasn't needed at all. People just wanted the remaining expansions. Slitherine made a huge mistake there: it kind of killed the large community of players we had and we still don't have FoG (U) 5 years later! FoG II is a completely different game, more based on Pike&Shot than FoG. I'm not a fan of Pike&Shot so FoG II will not necessarily supersede FoG for me.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Just a reminder of what happened. HexWar pulled out and left us with a game and no developer. We had to find someone to take the project forwards. Newrosoft contacted us asking to do it and said it would take 3 months to port to Unity.

The budget grew exponentially as did the time line.

If we had any idea how long it would take or cost we clearly would not have done it. Hindsight is great but at the time this was supposed to be a quick job to allow us to continue support the game. Looking back it would have been better just to leave things as they were but we always try to find ways to support the games if we can.

We've lost an awful lot of time and money on FoG U.
vicco
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vicco »

I hope Slitherine would consider giving a discount to FoG & FoG U owners for FoG II. This will hopefully draw the many fans of those games to FoG II. This will also give a large base for future expansions of FoG II.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

IainMcNeil wrote:Just a reminder of what happened. HexWar pulled out and left us with a game and no developer. We had to find someone to take the project forwards. Newrosoft contacted us asking to do it and said it would take 3 months to port to Unity.

If we had any idea how long it would take or cost we clearly would not have done it. Hindsight is great but at the time this was supposed to be a quick job to allow us to continue support the game. Looking back it would have been better just to leave things as they were but we always try to find ways to support the games if we can.

Really a sad story for such a great game. But i think the only future support the old Fog needs is to keep it compatible to new Windowsversions.
If Slitherine will do this would be great.

Just an idea. How about to declare the old fog to Freeware, only the maingame, not the expansions.
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

Micha wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Just a reminder of what happened. HexWar pulled out and left us with a game and no developer. We had to find someone to take the project forwards. Newrosoft contacted us asking to do it and said it would take 3 months to port to Unity.

Really a sad story for such a great game. But i think the only future support the old Fog needs is to keep it compatible to new Windowsversions.
If Slitherine will do this would be great.

Just an idea. How about to declare the old fog to Freeware, only the maingame, not the expansions.
Or make it OpenSource, I bet there will be people in the community who'd enjoy working on it.

Best Wishes

Mike
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

I got a lot of play out of FOG but feel a tad disappointed in that I would continue to play FOG if the combat routine were changed. I am finishing up a series of games on this my return to FOG play and here are some of the things that could be fixed in FOG to make it a better game and for me I dont see it as very hard to do for a competent programmer:

1. FRESH unit attacks - matchup is similar ... the attacking unit takes 17 losses (out of 300 men) and DISORDERS. This is nonsense especially when its a KNIGHT unit that is very expensive in the points list. I am not saying the Knights should be totally invincible so read on ...

2. BEAT UP units at 50% losses taking 40 - 50 man losses and not changing integrity status (Disordered to Fragemented, etc). Again, here is where you see the opposite of the spectrum. You have been pounding the daylights out of a unit with say 3 units of equal type and when this happens you want to toss the monitor, PC, keyboard and mouse out the window. And never buy a Slith product again ROFL

Honestly ... if those TWO things were fixed I would continue playing this game forever. I really like the first edition of FOG. The UNITY version obviously needs to be improved but for me ... FOG works as long as those TWO things are fixed.

I hear the same from a lot of the guys I played. One guy noted my awful dice rolls and realized he got off lucky.

My other pet peeve is this one: the board is not large enough. Cav bow armies defeated Euro armies if the battlefield was OPEN. On the other hand if the battlefield was DENSE with terrain then it was the other way around. Thus the cav bow armies get trapped against a board edge ... all too often. I love the bow armies but the series seems to favor the combined arms armies the most or mainly infantry. The price to pay for the bow vs. the impact they have on the losses doesnt seem to be a benefit. Yes, I prefer bow over javelins but even with two ranks of bow units firing one after the other and hitting for maximum losses the enemy doesnt seemed slowed at all.

Just my two cents .... I like the game series except for those things. I can live without towns, forts, etc... these "pickup" DAG battles are a lot of fun.

Hoping to get in on the FOG2 beta testing. Tally ho!
voskarp
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by voskarp »

vicco wrote:I hope Slitherine would consider giving a discount to FoG & FoG U owners for FoG II. This will hopefully draw the many fans of those games to FoG II. This will also give a large base for future expansions of FoG II.
I would rather like they'd do a Mac version (Pike and Shot too).
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

voskarp wrote:
vicco wrote:I hope Slitherine would consider giving a discount to FoG & FoG U owners for FoG II. This will hopefully draw the many fans of those games to FoG II. This will also give a large base for future expansions of FoG II.
I would rather like they'd do a Mac version (Pike and Shot too).
Does the Unity version work on Mac?
voskarp

Post by voskarp »

Not really... I'd say.

At least the latest version I could find for Mac.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

That's a shame, Iain :( Sorry that it turned out that way. Hope you guys recoup the loss with other great titles! <thumbsup>
ctimmerman
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by ctimmerman »

What about those of us who bought Wolves from the Sea and Oath of Fealty thinking we could play them on an improved version of FOG? Now it looks like these add-ons are nearly useless unless they can be made compatible with the old FOG.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

I am always up for a game using the Unity version of FoG.... not sure what keeps people from playing it. Looks like you can do DAG games server with the Unity version.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

ctimmerman wrote:What about those of us who bought Wolves from the Sea and Oath of Fealty thinking we could play them on an improved version of FOG? Now it looks like these add-ons are nearly useless unless they can be made compatible with the old FOG.
I have playd both in the fog unity and had a lot of fun, where is the problem ?
phlewis
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by phlewis »

When I bought Fog (U) the PBM portion didn't work. You could start a game but then it would lock up. Also many of the buttons didn't work. As far as I know the production version hasn't been fixed. If you want an improved version the only way is to get the current beta test version. I have been waiting well over a year at this point.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”